Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Los Angeles.

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2015, 05:00 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Los Angeles.

Planning on going to LA in August. I've been to the US many times but never to LA....so any suggestions of what to do, where to stay, what to avoid ? lol

We don't fancy hiring a car, so looking to stay centrally so we are not too far from Universal Studios etc. Be me, my wife and 15 year old daughter.

Any thoughts welcome !

Ro.
Old 22 May 2015, 06:11 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have just booked Hollywood for chrimbo and have booked the Hilton Universal as its right next to City walk so I will eat there on a night time. A friend stayed at the Lowes and said it was excellent, I was tempted to book this hotel but the idea of lots of restaurants at City walk made my choice easy. The Lowes gives you views of the Hollywood hills sign and has its own shopping mall.

Two other hotels I did look at which seemed excellent were the Redbury and the Mondrian.

I would definitely spend a day down at Santa Monica as it's an excellent place to be right on the beach and it's where Bay watch was shot. It's about 40 minutes drive from LA but worth it. I stayed in Malibu and spent most of my days at Santa monica.

Also the original Disney world is not far from you so if that takes your fancy?
Old 22 May 2015, 06:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I have just been to LA, did the universal and paramount studio tours, stars walk etc. Its just another city with 100deg heat well it will be in August. If you don't hire a car it will take forever to go anywhere, the city sprawls over a huge area. wall to wall traffic, have a nice time. San francisco is much nicer cooler and smaller
Old 22 May 2015, 06:31 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
. San francisco is much nicer cooler and smaller
I'm staying there as well for chrimbo but I know it will be a lot cooler than LA at that time of year.
Old 22 May 2015, 06:39 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

You will need a car.. As already said LA is spread out so without a car you will spend most of your time on public transport.
Apart from the studios and sign I would recommend the Griffith observatory, The grove for food shopping and entertainment and for views of LA head up Mulholland drive and find a parking area, you really get to see how big LA is from up there.
Santa Monica is a nice place to go, you have the pier, beach and plenty of shops and bars but if you get a car you can head further up the PCH to a less crowded beach..
Old 22 May 2015, 10:02 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been and each to their own but I'm failing to see what the fascination is. I don't understand the point in flying 12 hours to walk around man made film inspired attractions and shopping malls.
Old 22 May 2015, 10:05 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Stay away from Compton ....

Trending Topics

Old 22 May 2015, 11:03 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75
Stay away from Compton ....
Classic

Old 22 May 2015, 11:26 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

We spent 3 days in Hollywood a couple of years ago as part of a bit of a drive/ tour we did (taking in Yosemite, Santa Barbara, Oregon) and to be honest, I'd rather have spent 3 days elsewhere (Blackpool seems more inviting...).

Apart from taking a bus to Beverly Hills, which is an eye opener (and the bus!) Hollywood is a $hit hole full of skankers trying to get money off you.

One day is all you need.

Go to Rodeo Drive, sit outside a cafe for a few hours, and just watch....

Last edited by zip106; 22 May 2015 at 11:27 PM.