Work at home jobs

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2015, 01:36 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Work at home jobs

Do any legitimate jobs exist?

Google seems to be full of scams regarding this but I am surprised that more business are not swaying towards this to keep costs down?
Old 18 May 2015, 02:09 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work from home as I fancy, but that involves admin and preparation for my outreach work. I also bring my outside work from outside office to my home office, and that, for me, is working from home.

Internet based work can be done from home, I reckon. When ebay was at its peak, a friend of mine gave up her job and her and her husband started to buy and sell stuff on ebay, full time. They eventually got themselves a storage to store goods. I don't know if they're still doing the same or what. I'm sure many other shops on ebay have similar set up. So, that's one way for work from home, I think.

Last edited by Turbohot; 18 May 2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 18 May 2015, 02:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

PS: Lou, I'm sorry I've just seen that you're specifically asking for 'work AT home', not 'work from home'.

In that case, my ebay example with 'work for yourself AT home' should still fit your query. Website designers and tech doctors also work AT home and from home. There're many home-based jobs to 'work from home' these days. There are employers who expect their employees to 'work from home', in order to save the costs on hiring offices for their staff but drive around to work outside home as well e.g. area management.

Some people find it less productive to work at or from home, whereas some people find it much more productive than working at a separate workplace. It all depends.
Old 18 May 2015, 02:47 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

but it is sort of both isn't it

if businesses are offering work at home jobs for employees - they are de facto work from home jobs

but I take the general point - ultimately if the question is about business you can start that enable you to work from home

well anything "internet" related for a start, child minding etc
Old 18 May 2015, 03:02 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear certain websites are very pro-working-from-home, if you don't mind a web cam in your home pointing at your mattress
Old 18 May 2015, 03:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
but it is sort of both isn't it

if businesses are offering work at home jobs for employees - they are de facto work from home jobs

but I take the general point - ultimately if the question is about business you can start that enable you to work from home

well anything "internet" related for a start, child minding etc
Oh, yeah. There's a fine line, and therefore, my second post talks with the blurring of that line between the two.

However, the way I see the difference is that 'work AT home' means do everything 'from' and 'at' home e.g. from doing the work, stocking the work, and you're pretty much your own boss. 'Working from home' alone would mean that you could be working for other agencies, orgs etc. and they allow/expect you to work 'from' home, which could be 3 out of 5 days or ad hoc or to save their money on their initiative, meaning you aren't altogether your own boss.

There're many people that work from home, but they still need to record everything into their work office files, and attend to their clients in their work office. There are people that are their own boss, but they have their workplace separate to their home, as they find it less productive to work 'from' and 'at' home and also other reasons e.g. records security, clear cut organising of it, keeping business clients and stuff out of home territory etc. Some just book restaurants or meeting rooms to have meetings, and still mostly work from and at home; with proper insurances etc.
Old 18 May 2015, 03:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
... child minding etc
Yeah that's one.

Other 'working from and at home' is dog sitting. We have some random ones around here. Son was looking for a 'working at home' one last year within his living area, but no one would have his hyperactive SBT for they didn't have high enough fence to refrain him from doing one. One 'working from home' woman was prepared to come to his house and babysit the dog, but eventually his aunt became available to look after the pooch.

One ran large dog kennels and cattery from her farm, and made regular decent income with that. Another one is a joiner at and from home, which means he makes stuff at home in his well-equipped home workshop, but then goes out to places to put them up.

One fixes laptops from his own home.

Trending Topics

Old 18 May 2015, 04:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure what you mean is , the kind of job you were doing and slightly less income , from home...... So almost certainly no

I have workshop at home , where I used to rent a workshop, but I'm skilled manual

I'm sure people are right though, anything internet related if you're into that sort thīng

Last edited by dpb; 18 May 2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 18 May 2015, 04:30 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We've been running our business from home for nine years. So far so good.
Old 18 May 2015, 04:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had my contract changed to a home based one, about 5 years ago

it's pretty good tbh and a real upside is that 100% of my business travel is fully expensed

occasionally I go into an office - but just to catch up with colleagues really
Old 18 May 2015, 05:25 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

What's your line of business Hodgy?
Old 18 May 2015, 07:20 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

The wife works for local goverment and is pretty much home based, she goes out to see clients & once a week she goes into local council building to see her boss. But yes she is pretty much home based.