Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

handshake can determine heart attack risk

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2015, 09:25 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default handshake can determine heart attack risk

What boll@cks, I dont feel the need or necessity to crush someone's hand to prove how healthy my heart is, I save my grip for chin ups or strangling the monkey )
Old 14 May 2015, 09:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
What boll@cks, I dont feel the need or necessity to crush someone's hand to prove how healthy my heart is, I save my grip for chin ups or strangling the monkey )
Get a grip!

I thought the article provides an interesting info that our grip can be an indicator of bad health.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalis...tack-risk.html

Someone shook my hand yesterday where I clearly felt that the hand shake was extraordinarily and noticeably weak. This person has some serious debilitating health issues, but still as mobile as any normal person. By just looking at this person one can't make out that they have multiple health issues.

One doesn't need to crush anyone's hand, to be fair. That's OTT and not nice.
Old 14 May 2015, 10:03 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

What about a manual worker say bricklayer who will have a strong grip but boozed and eats greasy food all his life?
Old 14 May 2015, 10:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

More to do with someone's personality and the incidence of the handshake , from my experience.

Presumably they missed out half of Europe
Old 14 May 2015, 10:32 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
What about a manual worker say bricklayer who will have a strong grip but boozed and eats greasy food all his life?
I'm not saying that all firm grip peeps will be healthy! I don't think the study states that the hand shake or the grip test alone will tell that someone's gonna croak it sharpish or in near future! It would be one of the indicators of bad health, not the 'only' indicator. The study doesn't mean to say that it's 100% reliable on its own, either. I'm sure a professional will look at other things as well, before jumping to any firm conclusion.
Old 14 May 2015, 10:38 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Different cultures have different ways of shaking hands. In china they grip very lightly where as in Russia they grip very firm
Old 14 May 2015, 10:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Conclusion is there , some academic has been paid their beans and a little bit more to produce this nonsense, and the garbage has been served up to the masses by this comic know as the telegraph
Old 15 May 2015, 02:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Conclusion is there , some academic has been paid their beans and a little bit more to produce this nonsense, and the garbage has been served up to the masses by this comic know as the telegraph
Yes, your typical antagonistic conclusion. I bet people on your wave length thought the same about the money spending on further studies of the gravity after Newton witnessed the apple inevitably accelerating towards the ground. Little findings can make big difference. The day you know someone who gets further examined after the grip test, and gets diagnosed with some serious heart condition or something as bad as that, you may think that it has its use. Assumptions/hypothesis has to be supported with the evidence. Such evidences are gained via such studies.

Funny people moan when symptoms get ignored that could be the indicators to some serious health problems. When such symptoms are taken a bit more seriously, in order to rule in/out serious health concerens, then as well some people have a problem.

Everything study, every research and everything in life costs money, effort and time. End of. This one isn’t completely useless. People who simply criticise every bit of spending should attempt to rationalise a bit more, rather than living with antipathy for everything that doesn't suit their agenda.
Old 15 May 2015, 03:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well if the handshake with doc curtails prescription of antibiotics I guess its worth it

Only we're about 25 years too late

Last edited by dpb; 18 May 2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 15 May 2015, 03:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Well if the handshake with doc curtails prescription of antibiotics I guess its worth it

Only were about 25 years too late
No it doesn't. Stop the exaggeration and open up your tunnel vision, dpb. Looking at this post of yours literally, a doctor that gets rid of you by prescribing you the antibiotics on the basis of mere handshake alone needs to get his/her faculties sorted. This grip test will be an indicator, not something conclusive. There's a difference between an indicator and the investigation that brings about the conclusion. For an educated one, it takes more to reach the conclusion, not a lone indicator. Another indicator recognised is a good news.
Old 15 May 2015, 03:57 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

oh well , least the researcher gets his golden handshake
Old 18 May 2015, 04:26 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's possible.... If your 'victim' has a dickie heart and you were to use this on him:

Anyone remember that from their childhood?

Last edited by joz8968; 18 May 2015 at 04:27 PM.