Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HMRC: thieving again.

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2015, 02:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default HMRC: thieving again.

Decided to do an IT reset/upgrade etc just as loads of folk were expecting tax refunds.

So they hold on to your refund for an extra 5 weeks, but DON'T pay you any interest..
But watch out if YOU owe THEM £1.......

Thieving bar stewards!
Old 13 May 2015, 02:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Always do mine January , id assumed since this is the closing date that that was when payment was required
Old 13 May 2015, 04:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No, it's a tax refund for overpayment last year.

They refuse to give it you when you stop work, you have to wait until April 1st/7th.

This year he's had to wait until 13th May
Old 13 May 2015, 06:10 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine nearly two weeks ago. I saw no mention of delays.
Old 13 May 2015, 06:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Decided to do an IT reset/upgrade etc just as loads of folk were expecting tax refunds.

So they hold on to your refund for an extra 5 weeks, but DON'T pay you any interest..
But watch out if YOU owe THEM £1.......

Thieving bar stewards!
Erm, you can ask for interest, I've done it lots of times when they've owed me.
Old 13 May 2015, 06:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It really pisses me off. Last year, he applied, they said no need.

This year he asked, they said fill in this form.

THEN they decide to do an IT upgrade.
Old 13 May 2015, 09:15 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My tax refund came 3rd week of January - my accountant filed my tax return just before Christmas.

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2015, 09:20 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
My tax refund came 3rd week of January - my accountant filed my tax return just before Christmas.
Slacker, the one I got refunded is the one with the due date of Christmas 2015.
Old 14 May 2015, 01:31 AM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Can you apply for a tax refund or is it a case of sitting on your hands until your given one? The amount of my money they p155 up the wall I'm bound to be owed a few quid back..
Old 14 May 2015, 10:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

If you fill in a tax return as normal, you get it on time.

If, however, you stop work for any length of time after April 7th, you must wait until April 7th in the following year to get it back.

Supposedly in case you start again.

But in my lad's case, he's a full-time student and works his summers. They STILL hang on to it from October last year, giving him no interest.

Yet if you owe them, there's a £100 fine if you don't pay it straight away...hell, there's the same fine if you are late with your tax return.

Thieving b@stards.
Old 14 May 2015, 02:29 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

I was "late" with my tax return and was issued with this £100 fine.

This was because in January I was contacted by my accountant asking for my UTR number as he couldn't fill in the form without it. I contacted the HMRC as they never sent me my UTR number to be told they couldn't tell me it over the phone and had to post it out and this could take 2 weeks to arrive. When I told them that this would result in my tax return being late the operator told me that they would give me an extension till the 14th of Feb to file my tax return.
My tax return was then submitted on the 13th of Feb and acknowledged.

Roll on a month or so and I get a letter saying that due to my late tax return I was being issued with a £100 fine and that I had 30 days from the date of the letter to contest (and have to pay interest if over ruled) or pay the fine. Strange thing was I received the letter exactly 2 weeks AFTER it was supposed to have been sent 2nd class. the letter also directed me to an inclosed leaflet to give me guidelines on contesting the fine which was NOT enclosed.

I went bush and attempted to phone the HMRC, 1stly the phone number for Center One (my tax office) as published on the HMRC website didn't work, then after more faffing about and being on hold for almost an hour to the generic number I get to speak to a real person. At this point I was absolutely fuming but managed to compose myself and rather than go in all guns blazing as I normally would I decided to be calm and somewhat witty.
Anyways I digress, after talking to the operator I was told that there was no way I would have been offered an extension for not having a UTR number and that the only way I would be granted an extension is if I were having problems logging in to file the tax return online. I then ask to make a freedom of information request for all logs and transcripts pertaining my previous conversation, the operator had no clue on how to progress with this, after much humming and hawing I was told I had to write of fax them my request. I stated that I should be allowed to email my request as per the regulations as I do not have access to a fax machine and writing would delay my appeal.
I then ask to speak to her supervisor as I wanted to escalate and lodge formal complaints (the agent was actually pretty good apart from not having the required information available to her)

I get to speak to the supervisor and I lodge my complaints
1) I was given false information by HMRC
2) There was no information leaflet inclosed with my fine letter
3) it doesnt take 2 weeks for 2nd class mail to be delivered and that the date on the letter was falsified
4) they were in breach of the freedom of information guidelines

On point 3 I was told that the letters were all printed on the same day but due to the volumes they are sent out in batches but he did agree that 2 weeks was too long.

After that call I contacted the information commissioners office to complain, the chap on the phone couldn't understand why I wasn't given the information I requested re email address and walked me through the HMRC's website to where I could make an online request!!!!!!!!

A couple of weeks later I was contacted by someone from the HMRC who was dealing with my request and complaints, she had reviewed the call logs and conceded that I had in fact been been told that I had an extension and the £100 fine would be cancelled, she then went on to offer me £10 compensation for phonecalls and £50 compensation for stress and anguish!!

So at the end of the day the £100 fine was cancelled and I was £60 up for their **** ups!!! oh aye and £340 quid from my tax return even though I am PAYE

Sorry for such a long post but they did **** me off

Graeme

Last edited by G.Mac; 14 May 2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 14 May 2015, 02:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe get it seen to in November /December this year....

Mate had a heart attack same sort of timescale as yours .

It was no excuse as far as they were concerned
Old 14 May 2015, 06:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Oh, we've had the fine, plus interest, we just refused to pay it, because we knew we'd filed and THEIR system cocked up, surprise surprise.

THREE years later our submission turned up, and because they owed US money, all fines were cancelled.LO
Old 14 May 2015, 09:20 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

They once tried to fine me £100 for being late in telling them I didn't owe any sub-contractor tax for one month.

Every month I have to send in a sub-contractor tax return - when I pay a subbie I have to deduct 20% from them and then pay the IR quarterly everything I've deducted.

Each month I have to file a return even if I've had no one working for me for that month.
Either a 'nil' return, or a return stating what I've paid out and deducted.

I was late sending in a nil return (therefore I didn't owe them anything) as I was on the other side of the world between the 6th and 19th of the month (which is the only time I'm allowed to file the return) so sent it in on the 20th when I got home.

1 day late to tell them I owe nothing, and they fine me £100.

Appealed the fine and they rescinded it.
Old 15 May 2015, 09:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

As they should, but it took your time...which THEY should have paid for.

All this talk of them fining you...I was under the impression that only a court could issue a fine?