Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Insuance

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2015, 03:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Insuance

I am getting a lift to drive 100 miles away to look at a motor. I will buy it if I like it but what about insurance cover (and Tax) when I drive it home?

Seems a bit OTT to tell my current insurers before I go although I am covered to drive other cars with owner's permission. I'll take a chance on the road tax.

Advice please.

David
Old 08 May 2015, 03:58 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Personally I wouldn't take a chance in anything road tax or not. Ring your current insurers or shop around for a new quote and ask them to save that quote. If you view the car and decide to buy ring them back there and then, change your details over for insurance. Then ring or go online to tax your car. Save these numbers before you go so there ready for when you view it. Do not take a chance on anything! It takes one police car to spot you and it's game over. Play it safe, stump up the money and enjoy your new car mate!
Old 08 May 2015, 04:03 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I am getting a lift to drive 100 miles away to look at a motor. I will buy it if I like it but what about insurance cover (and Tax) when I drive it home?

Seems a bit OTT to tell my current insurers before I go although I am covered to drive other cars with owner's permission. I'll take a chance on the road tax.

Advice please.

David

Your insurance will only cover you if you DON'T own the car. You will not be covered on your insurance from the second you buy it.

I'd go with what Dan suggested. It's not worth the hassle.
Old 08 May 2015, 04:29 PM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

Another option is to buy a days insurance cover if you decide to buy the car. A number of companies are now offering insurance by the day for around £20-£35ish fully comp. I personally wouldn't worry about tax as long as its got valid tax paid. The DVLA don't know the owners have changed until the V5 with new owner details gets to them. I would renew the tax later that day after getting home though.
Old 08 May 2015, 04:59 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above, you can get cover for a day or two from loads of places for very little money - I did this when I bought my car a couple of years ago, pretty painless process. I'd probably chance the VED, surely they have to give you opportunity to get the car home before you tax it?

try: http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/one-day
Old 08 May 2015, 08:04 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a trailer

Old 08 May 2015, 09:13 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Buy the car, but date the V5 the next day, drive it home under 3rd party cover and if stopped you are test driving it.

As far as the tax goes if it's been sorned then you are stuffed really but if it's still taxed until sold then it'll only stop being taxed really when they receive the V5 and notification..

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2015, 02:37 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Many insurers will allow a temporary additional vehicle, or temporary change of vehicle to cover this. That is the route I took when buying my last car, but then found the honda dealer offered 14 days complimentary insurance on all their used cars.

Speak to your insurer.
Old 10 May 2015, 01:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. In the end I got the dealer to bring car to me for me to have a look at and possibly take a part exchange. Agreed a price for a very nice condition 2003 Saab 2.0T with 78k and full service history. LV insured me over the phone but getting tax was a pain which I discovered was due to there being two different "doc ref numbers" on V5 and, of course I used the wrong one.

Cheers, David