Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Giving too much away online

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2015, 05:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving too much away online

Was at an Internet security company today and we were talking about the amount of information people give away online even when they think they are being sensible .

There was a guy there who reckoned that most people post enough information on Facebook to be traceable within a matter of hours and the same on a lot of forums, boards, communities etc. but to a lesser extent.

He reckoned even if you did not know a person's real name, but knew what they did, roughly where they lived and things like what car they drive that within a very short space of time they could probably be found.

As he said there is not a major issue with that with most normal people, but it does make identity theft a lot easier if the thief knows something about the person whose identity they are trying to assume.

Makes you wonder whether we are all private enough on these sort of sites.
Old 25 February 2015, 05:21 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

If you use the internet wave goodbye to privacy, there are some stunning tools to learn all about you.

Those with some ££ can use tools like Maltego and quickly find out quite a bit. There are so many ways for would be social engineers to get info.
Old 25 February 2015, 05:24 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Makes you wonder whether we are all private enough on these sort of sites.
With special interest forums such as the mighty SNET ( ) there wouldn't be much point participating without giving a certain amount away. Much the same for most common interest forums I would say.
It's food for thought though.
Old 25 February 2015, 06:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You can easily trace a few people from a general profile on POF with just a first name (or part of a first name)....

....hmmm, not sure if I should admit to to that.
Old 25 February 2015, 06:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
With special interest forums such as the mighty SNET ( ) there wouldn't be much point participating without giving a certain amount away. Much the same for most common interest forums I would say.
It's food for thought though.
Yes, but it's a fine line. There are some on here who are way too generous with their information for sure!
Old 25 February 2015, 06:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Frankly, either you live in fear, or with reasonable disclosure. What you call reasonable is up to you. Identity thefts took place even before the internet came to exist. Yes, it's easier now with people stealing your identity on line, but surely internet works itself like an antidote to this, as all the people who snoop into your info on line can be investigated in order to identify your identity thief.

Anyone living with none or minimal disclosure on line is considered a troll or an axe murderer psychopath. I agree that one should be careful, but you can only be so careful anywhere. I agree that 'too much' shouldn't be given away on line to all and sundry, but I've never seen anyone putting up their bank statements here or on Facebook.

Otherwise, we shouldn't even be born on this earth because we can be cheated on or cloned etc. On being private, we live in the age of surveillance. There's no hiding and nothing is private anymore. So, no point worrying about it too much. I don't think any of us are important enough to be worrying about it too much.

Last edited by Turbohot; 25 February 2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 26 February 2015, 02:27 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Frankly, either you live in fear, or with reasonable disclosure. What you call reasonable is up to you. Identity thefts took place even before the internet came to exist. Yes, it's easier now with people stealing your identity on line, but surely internet works itself like an antidote to this, as all the people who snoop into your info on line can be investigated in order to identify your identity thief.

Anyone living with none or minimal disclosure on line is considered a troll or an axe murderer psychopath. I agree that one should be careful, but you can only be so careful anywhere. I agree that 'too much' shouldn't be given away on line to all and sundry, but I've never seen anyone putting up their bank statements here or on Facebook.

Otherwise, we shouldn't even be born on this earth because we can be cheated on or cloned etc. On being private, we live in the age of surveillance. There's no hiding and nothing is private anymore. So, no point worrying about it too much. I don't think any of us are important enough to be worrying about it too much.
But if these criminals know what they are doing they won't leave any trace. That's the whole point.

Basically if you know someone's name, roughly where they live and what they do and they are on the net in any way, shape or form unless they have taken precautions they are ripe for a good turning over!
Old 26 February 2015, 07:53 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, Chris and Swati . I'm probably guilty of being too "relaxed" on the Internet when it comes to security, but we are all users of the Internet and nothing is really safe anyway. I wouldn't want to worry about it too much because it can make your usage of the Internet less enjoyable if you're always thinking "oh I shouldn't say this or I shouldn't do that" etc. Anyway, who'd want to steal our ID's...

Last edited by LSherratt; 26 February 2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 26 February 2015, 08:21 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, it is no surprise "social media" came from the US

Anyone who has lived/worked with Americans knows they talk a lot - seemingly verbalising their every thought, from how they are putting something into the dishwasher to what anti depressants they are taking

They leak info on and off line

But I am always a bit suspicious of security companies - the actively feed on FUD
Old 26 February 2015, 01:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

But if these criminals know what they are doing they won't leave any trace. That's the whole point.

Basically if you know someone's name, roughly where they live and what they do and they are on the net in any way, shape or form unless they have taken precautions they are ripe for a good turning over!

Everyone leaves a footprint on internet, including the thieves of your footprint, and such theives can be found. Nothing is unbreakable any more. It's applicable equally to the protectors. You will not be amazed to know that often the protectors like security bodies are the biggest perpetrators. Proof is in the pudding.

I don't think telling others roughly where they live, first name and what you do makes you so vulnerable that people would want to clone you. Yes, I have heard even here on NSR from one or two people that it happened to them, and they must have been very unfortunate. But you see, there are sites like Linked In, people's personal websites, professional registers, and what-not for business promoters in internet; with satisfactory to ample information on people. There's 192.com to see people's locations- roughly. If everyone thought that there should be none to least information about them on the internet, and they should be super selective where to say what, Jesus, we all could be trolling one another forever!

It will be interesting to know how many people out of millions have been cloned and stalked on facebook, because they gave their first name, roughly where they lived and what they did. TBH, when you look for one person there, it brings up hundreds of the same name, anyway. I don't think they're your clones. It's just unfortunate that no name with even your surname is so ultra-unique any more; well, unless you're Hodgy's child, of course.

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I agree, Chris and Swati . I'm probably guilty of being too "relaxed" on the Internet when it comes to security, but we are all users of the Internet and nothing is really safe anyway. I wouldn't want to worry about it too much because it can make your usage of the Internet less enjoyable if you're always thinking "oh I shouldn't say this or I shouldn't do that" etc. Anyway, who'd want to steal our ID's...

No, you aren't guilty of anything. You are real and genuine, and I respect you for that. I'm sure you know how to be 'safe' on internet, it's not a rocket science, and that's about it. Carry on enjoying surfing with your real and genuine being.

Last edited by Turbohot; 26 February 2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 26 February 2015, 01:24 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Everyone leaves a footprint on internet, including the thieves of your footprint, and such theives can be found. Nothing is unbreakable any more. It's applicable equally to the protectors. You will not be amazed to know that often the protectors like security bodies are the biggest perpetrators. Proof it in the pudding. :
Swati, believe me if someone wants to surf the net and be as good as completely anonymous they can! It's part of what I do for a job this Internet thing so I do know what I am talking about here (for once ).
Old 26 February 2015, 01:31 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Swati, believe me if someone wants to surf the net and be as good as completely anonymous they can! It's part of what I do for a job this Internet thing so I do know what I am talking about here (for once ).
So what simple steps can we take to protect ourselves Chris?
Old 26 February 2015, 02:06 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Old 26 February 2015, 02:06 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I get that, Chris. By talking with many IT security experts out there I also get that that any anonymity can be uncovered, and it's not impossible. In fact, if someone wants to be completely anonymised to the point that they leave no footprint, they shouldn't bother using internet, end of. Being on internet, giving out general info about self e.g. "Part of my job is to do this Internet thing, and ate at the Chinese quarters last night" and then thinking - "Oooh, I'm not sure I'm safe on forums" is no good. If that's the thinking to promote via this thread, then remember that the day you entered this cybernet world, you got cloned, mister. End of. Just because you don't use Facebook doesn't make you any less vulnerable. With years of your being on the forums, you really don't know who's stalking you, you know.
Old 26 February 2015, 02:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

there is two parts to it

technically anonymous

and socially anonymous

obviously you can - technically, browse to and join a forum - completely anonymously

but, once joined, anonymously - you say Hi my name is Ian Davidson, I'm an accountant from Erith

then you have blown you "social" anonymity

if you browse and join without being technically anonymous - even though you are socially anonymous, it would not take long for someone to find out who you are

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 26 February 2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 26 February 2015, 02:53 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My real name is David Cameron and I live at 10 Downing Street and there is nothing you can do about it.
Old 26 February 2015, 04:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I get that, Chris. By talking with many IT security experts out there I also get that that any anonymity can be uncovered, and it's not impossible. In fact, if someone wants to be completely anonymised to the point that they leave no footprint, they shouldn't bother using internet, end of. Being on internet, giving out general info about self e.g. "Part of my job is to do this Internet thing, and ate at the Chinese quarters last night" and then thinking - "Oooh, I'm not sure I'm safe on forums" is no good. If that's the thinking to promote via this thread, then remember that the day you entered this cybernet world, you got cloned, mister. End of. Just because you don't use Facebook doesn't make you any less vulnerable. With years of your being on the forums, you really don't know who's stalking you, you know.
I'm not worried perosnally Swati, I keep my life relatively low profile on the net and anyway I don't have a credit rating or salary large enough to make it worthwhile any sophisticated thieves having a go... they will be aiming higher than me.

However without wishing to bore you the key to anonymity on the net is at the IP level. Basically if you use an IP cloner and packet snaffler with your network card in promiscuous mode so it can read other network packets and get it to send out a false MAC address, connect via a VPN via an anonymiser such as TOR (not actually TOR as it has a few other inherent problems) and route your packets through several different countries where at least two of them dislike each other so won't share data and make sure you do not connect to the likes of Twitter/Facebook or Google inadvertently then I defy anyone to trace you!

Originally Posted by Chip
So what simple steps can we take to protect ourselves Chris?
To be honest if you want to go completely under the radar as Swati said do not use the Internet or mobile phones for that matter, but in the real world or the real virtual world that is not practical. All I would recommend is that you never post your real name, never post where you live other than a region, never put a photo with the numberplate of your car on the net, do not mention what you do in any detail for a job or where you work.... lkeep things vague basically!

At the end of the day sophisticated identity thieves want identities worth stealing i.e. people on large salaries with good credit ratings etc. so try and keep signs of your personal wealth off the net.

It's the old adage.... like you can never stop someone breaking into your house but you can make it easier to break in to someone else's the same applies here, make it easier for them to target someone else who they know more about.
Old 26 February 2015, 04:37 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

i tend to wear a disguise when using the internet

this works quite well, and I haven't been hacked so far

stay safe out there
Old 26 February 2015, 05:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

All I would recommend is that you never post your real name, never post where you live other than a region, never put a photo with the numberplate of your car on the net, do not mention what you do in any detail for a job or where you work.... lkeep things vague basically!

To be fair, you end up sending your address to people you buy things off them, even when you hardly know them. They're not all necessarily established businesses, some of them could be private sellers. You may or may not send them your full name, full address and your car reg on the forum even by a top secret pm or via your own sacred email. But if you've gone in your own car and done cheque or bank card deals with them, with your full name on them, then what's the guarantee that they won't clone you anonymously?? Who is to confirm that the holy sun shines through their backside, just because some random people on SN also dealt with them at some point??

Anyone can clone anyone anywhere as long as they know how to clone. Off or on internet. I agree that the more technical we've gone, the more transparent and vulnerable our being has become. But as I say, we have been vulnerable since we've been on this earth. Before internet came, phones and letters were forged. I bet those tree bark scrolls were forged in the ancient times of the kings and queens. I bet 'A' sent a message in the bottle to 'B' via some river, but in fact it was 'C''s deed. It has all gone on since Ice Age. Amoeba was multiplying in order to clone itself FFS! I know that the cheating is just much easier now with this technology malarkey. But for that reason, I don't think we need to be over-cautious. Half a brain allows the ability to make oneself reasonably safe as well as continue to enjoy 'free from worry' genuine existence. I'd only worry if that half a brain gets robbed tbh.

I've never seen anyone giving away their too much details here on SN, anyway. Some of us are known by our first names, so what. We are so damn insignificant that even a thief would kick our identity out of his way, and look for someone more important for the purpose.
Old 26 February 2015, 07:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I only got worried about ID theft after my house war burgled and tehy stole my Passport and Driver's license.

Luckily the passport expires this year and the driver's license was a paper one issued in 1996 and still had my original address and old signature...good luck with that one you theiving *******.

I have a credit monitor active which give me ping if someone/something does a credit search on me, so far so good.
Old 26 February 2015, 11:48 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Facebook.oh dear....
Old 27 February 2015, 07:40 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I only got worried about ID theft after my house war burgled and tehy stole my Passport and Driver's license.

Luckily the passport expires this year and the driver's license was a paper one issued in 1996 and still had my original address and old signature...good luck with that one you theiving *******.

I have a credit monitor active which give me ping if someone/something does a credit search on me, so far so good.
Ali,your pm box is full!

Any chance you could remove the pics of my watches on my replica watch thread??!! Getting panicky reading this and can sense them slipping their balaclavas on and nipping round my flat!!
Old 27 February 2015, 08:29 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Talking of which I should have added to my suggestions for being sensible online that if you do post photos particularly of possessions that might be worth something you should make sure you have stripped out any EXIF data before posting them especially the geo location data that can pinpoint where the photo was taken to within a few square metres. Phones are heat for taking photos and embedding as much information like that as possible
Old 27 February 2015, 09:58 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

https://tails.boum.org everything you need, recommended by Edward Snowden
Old 27 February 2015, 12:57 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Facebook.oh dear....
What about it?
Old 27 February 2015, 01:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Ali,your pm box is full!

Any chance you could remove the pics of my watches on my replica watch thread??!! Getting panicky reading this and can sense them slipping their balaclavas on and nipping round my flat!!
Christ! Don't be silly! Who's gonna want your replica watches, man? Honestly, no need to panic. Get them removed if you like, but this is exactly this thread is promoting. Paranoia. And that wasn't f_1's intention. Next moment, you may want to remove yourself from the internet, and we will lose such a lovely man to talk to, here on SN.

Not that you've posted your full address and your bank details etc. Chill out, man.
Old 27 February 2015, 01:18 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I had an email yesterday from a well known musician with whom I have had contact in the past. On opening it I realised it wasn't from him but that someone had hacked into his email. The email also contained his email contact list which had quite a few very famous names from the music industry on it.
Old 27 February 2015, 01:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Funnily enough I had an email yesterday from a well known musician with whom I have had contact in the past. On opening it I realised it wasn't from him but that someone had hacked into his email. The email also contained his email contact list which had quite a few very famous names from the music industry on it.

Yes, I've had that sort of email from someone not so famous, too. Only a few days ago, I had an email from a hacker on behalf of that person. The email said that she was in Ukraine on a family holiday, and needed 2 grand as she had been mugged in some car park there. Now, the woman in real had had a stroke FFS. Why the Fvvk would she go on a holiday, of all places, Ukraine??? I let her know of that hacking, and she took it from there. Sh7t happens, but if you want to avoid any hacking stay away from internet, end of. If you are on internet, face the tune. You can only be so careful, and no need to quack in your boots and become an invisible troll. If you do become an invisible troll, that will be more worrying than you being real. And don't let anyone steal your half a brain at any cost. You should be ok.

Also, never try to show your familiarity with someone on the forum by telling people publicly that you have their address due to some historic business transaction, if it was given to you in confidence. It's not big, it's not clever. Certainly makes you wonder why someone, who you only know on internet, and did just a random, one-off private financial transaction with them, would hang on to your address after so many years. But then again, if some idiot ends up announcing even the fact that they continue to possess your address for no apparent reason, no need to panic. They will be one of the prime suspects if something goes wrong to you.

'You' means anyone.

Last edited by Turbohot; 27 February 2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 27 February 2015, 02:46 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

What about it?
The amount of cases I have seen,civil,matrimonial etc where too much has been said online and that information used....
Old 27 February 2015, 02:47 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Christ! Don't be silly! Who's gonna want your replica watches, man? Honestly, no need to panic. Get them removed if you like, but this is exactly this thread is promoting. Paranoia. And that wasn't f_1's intention. Next moment, you may want to remove yourself from the internet, and we will lose such a lovely man to talk to, here on SN.

Not that you've posted your full address and your bank details etc. Chill out, man.
Lol :-)

Quick Reply: Giving too much away online