Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fish & Chips came from Venice??? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2015, 06:57 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fish & Chips came from Venice??? WTF???

Exactly.

That's what the Italians are claiming:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10061417.html

I got interested, and I found this:

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co...story--599.htm

Now all that makes me a tad confused. I'm a bit gutted that Fish & Chips may turn out to be the food that isn't really Britain's original cuisine.

I mean when you look at them, they hardly look anything like some Italian fine cuisine, do they?

I reckon Italians are giving porkie pies. I'm not impressed with Dickens either, for confusing people.

What do you guys think? British or not?
Old 22 February 2015, 07:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Next they'll claim battered Mars bars is a delicacy invented by the Germans.
Old 22 February 2015, 08:54 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Very little Great British Food is actually British, it stems from our long maritime history and imperial tendencies
Old 22 February 2015, 09:23 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Ooh,Chicken Tikka Masala
Old 22 February 2015, 09:40 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Next you'll be telling us that Curry isn't British either lol.
Old 22 February 2015, 10:32 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B

It was first manufactured in Slough apparently ..
Old 22 February 2015, 10:42 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

No thats crazy talk, that ones all ours here in scotland

TBH tasted one back in 1998 and thought it was minging
dont know how my fellow jocks liked them
Old 22 February 2015, 11:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Even in 2009 it was talked that Fish n' Chips could have come from another civilisation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8419026.stm

What the above link says is that....

The story of the humble chip goes back to the 17th Century to either Belgium or France, depending who you believe.

Oddly enough, the chip may have been invented as a substitute for fish, rather than an accompaniment. When the rivers froze over and nothing could be caught, resourceful housewives began cutting potatoes into fishy shapes and frying them as an alternative.
Around the same time, fried fish was introduced into Britain by Jewish refugees from Portugal and Spain.

Again:

Some credit a northern entrepreneur called John Lees. As early as 1863, it is believed he was selling fish and chips out of a wooden hut at Mossley market in industrial Lancashire.
Others claim the first combined fish 'n' chip shop was actually opened by a Jewish immigrant, Joseph Malin, within the sound of Bow Bells in East London around 1860.

So, if the Lancashire man was three years too late, then logically, the credit is Mr. Malin's; a Jewish immigrant.

That's what it looks like, if we go with what's found so far.

So far Italians are concerned:

Italian migrants passing through English towns and cities saw the growing queues and sensed a business opportunity, setting up shops in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

So, basically, the Italians opportunistically copied the Jewish recipe for their business prospects, and the origins of Fish n' Chips lay in Jewish hands.

Last edited by Turbohot; 22 February 2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 23 February 2015, 07:30 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm more disturbed by the fact that they have started brewing Real Ale and are quite good at it, Last time I was there I went to a Real Ale festival, although there weren't very many on offer what there was was bloody good, next they'll be claiming they invented that too, much like they try and claim Marco Polo when in fact he was Croatian.
Old 23 February 2015, 10:49 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure you can actually invent fish and chips , as in its raw state it already existed- It was just a coming together.
I think an invention has to be not from the natural world.
For example the first chronometer , or a thermometer , or a box girder bridge etc etc
But the best fish and chips - The Seashell - Lisson Grove, Marylebone .
Old 23 February 2015, 10:57 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now you can't have the "best" fish & chips 50 / 80 miles away from the sea, best fish and chips comes from any place on the sea front or Very close to the coast.
Old 23 February 2015, 12:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
I am not sure you can actually invent fish and chips , as in its raw state it already existed- It was just a coming together.
I think an invention has to be not from the natural world.
For example the first chronometer , or a thermometer , or a box girder bridge etc etc
But the best fish and chips - The Seashell - Lisson Grove, Marylebone .

Ok, but the word ‘invention’ is commonly used for the food recipes ‘coming together’.

Here, The Telegraph talks about the Haggis being invented by the English first. According to this historian, Scottish stole the recipe and claimed it as theirs:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...historian.html

She says in the above article that even the word 'Haggis' is also of English origin.
From the article:

James Macsween, director of Macsween's, the award-winning Edinburgh haggis-maker, said that whatever its origin, the pudding would remain a Scottish icon.

He said: "This is certainly a revelation to me, but haggis is now renowned as Scotland's dish largely due to Robert Burns, who made it famous.

"That's not to say that prior to Burns that haggis wasn't eaten in England, but Scotland has done a better job of looking after it. I didn't hear Shakespeare writing a poem about haggis."

Most interestingly:

Ian Scott, a member of the Saltire Society, which aims to preserve Scottish culture, said: "I'd tuck into it with even greater gusto if I thought that it had been invented by the English. I mean, they are bound to have invented something worthwhile."

Now, going back to Fish n’ Chips, I am stunned to know that they were ‘put together’ as a recipe in the way they are eaten by a smart Jewish called Mr. Malin. He came as an immigrant, ‘put it together’ on the land of England and they became a huge hit, so the dish is recognised as an English/British cuisine. Makes sense.

I did hope for the Fish n’ Chips to have been ‘put together’ by someone original from Britain, to be honest. Like some closet chef of King Henry the VIII or Shakespeare’s missus or something like that. But, hey. Perhaps it was one of them who 'invented' Haggis before the Scottish pinched its recipe.
Old 23 February 2015, 12:25 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'm more disturbed by the fact that they have started brewing Real Ale and are quite good at it,
Sure. It's like Made in Taiwan or Singapore gadget counterfeits often turn out to be even better than the original Japanese ones. People often say that. I wonder if Taiwan has got cracking with Made in Taiwan Subarus.
Old 24 February 2015, 04:38 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'm more disturbed by the fact that they have started brewing Real Ale and are quite good at it, Last time I was there I went to a Real Ale festival, although there weren't very many on offer what there was was bloody good, next they'll be claiming they invented that too, much like they try and claim Marco Polo when in fact he was Croatian.
Just seen this about Italian real ale reminded me that they are not the only ones.Last summer at a festival in southern Spain drinking local brewed Indian Pale Ale..........very weird but very nice.