Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Works like a charm.........

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2015, 06:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Works like a charm.........

getting doing anything...DIY, car etc etc, you can guarantee that the moment you need any sort of part, even something silly like a washer, you'll check your watch and it will be 4pm on a Sunday.

Just worked again for me: disturbed the outlet hose from the shower pump, tried re-tightening it, it was just weeping, so removed it and the 1" washer is fekked.

I THOUGHT it looked like a washing machine hose washer...but, of course, I don't have any, nor any spare hoses.

And since the gate valve on the inlet was doing a not-very-good job of stopping the flow, I've had to remove the inlet pipe and put a stop end on there. Didn't fancy getting up tomorrow to find the stupid thing has wet my new ceiling.

I hate plumbing........
Old 22 February 2015, 06:42 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I flooded the kitchen once.....was like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia......water everywhere.was panicking like hell :-)
Old 22 February 2015, 07:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I still have two broken showers.

Built-in mixers - broken. Plumbers that visit rather than fix will give me a lengthy lecture on how I should never have a built-in shower mixers, which I already worked out for myself at the point they broke. My response, or should I say the response I'd like to make is "I don't f**king care what you think, it was there when I moved, shut your whining gob and fix it, and don't bodge it or make a mess or crack a tile".

Of course, life doesn't pan out like that and I'm too polite to speak my mind. Can't trust anyone not to **** it up and I will wind up having to fix them myself I guess, but I don't want to.....20yr old plastic elbows at mains pressure and no room to maneuver a wrench is not my idea of a merry weekend chilling out. So the showers stay broken. And will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Anyhoo, having both working is pointless anyway as I'd run out of hot water if both were in use. That's another issue....along with the cold downstairs bedroom, upstairs radiators constantly getting filled with air (pressurised/sealed system), the new underfloor that gurgles and can't heat the room above 20 degrees. Dodgy bogs, drippy taps, and a waste disposal unit that spews its contents into the cupboard below.

So yeah, I hate plumbing too.

Oddly, I made and fitted new metal brake pipes for a Mini and found it quite therapeutic...Got a Rover 75 to do the same with tomorrow and I'm not deterred in the slightest.....So plumbing on cars = OK, Plumbing on houses = Nightmare .

One day I hope they invent a drug that'll make me more rational and withstanding of doing DIY projects that I loath...until then beer and procrastination will have to suffice....
Old 22 February 2015, 09:49 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a Aqualisa external mixer for 14 years & it has failed twice & their
service department sent me the parts the next day & didn't charge me!!!

Very impressed.
Old 22 February 2015, 10:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
I flooded the kitchen once.....was like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia......water everywhere.was panicking like hell :-)
haha ....Same here , dishwasher inlet cam off ( didnt quite realise anything fro several minutes , as we had kitchen door closed )

was like a mini swimming pool , some went through to basement round edge - no lasting damage , tile grout took an age to take back to white from blue
Old 22 February 2015, 10:27 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Built-in mixers - broken. Plumbers that visit rather than fix will give me a lengthy lecture on how I should never have a built-in shower mixers, which I already worked out for myself at the point they broke. My response, or should I say the response I'd like to make is "I don't f**king care what you think, it was there when I moved, shut your whining gob and fix it, and don't bodge it or make a mess or crack a tile".

Of course, life doesn't pan out like that and I'm too polite to speak my mind. Can't trust anyone not to **** it up and I will wind up having to fix them myself I guess, but I don't want to.....20yr old plastic elbows at mains pressure and no room to maneuver a wrench is not my idea of a merry weekend chilling out. So the showers stay broken. And will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Anyhoo, having both working is pointless anyway as I'd run out of hot water if both were in use. That's another issue....along with the cold downstairs bedroom, upstairs radiators constantly getting filled with air (pressurised/sealed system), the new underfloor that gurgles and can't heat the room above 20 degrees. Dodgy bogs, drippy taps, and a waste disposal unit that spews its contents into the cupboard below.

Oddly, I made and fitted new metal brake pipes for a Mini and found it quite therapeutic...Got a Rover 75 to do the same with tomorrow and I'm not deterred in the slightest.....So plumbing on cars = OK, Plumbing on houses = Nightmare .

One day I hope they invent a drug that'll make me more rational and withstanding of doing DIY projects that I loath...until then beer and procrastination will have to suffice....
I'd move house, if I was you.
Old 22 February 2015, 10:31 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spent the last two days building a bedroom from IKEA .. not quite as complicated but a pain in the ****.
Old 23 February 2015, 01:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Sorry to know about your plight, but brilliant post! You never disappoint over DIY type of things.
Old 23 February 2015, 06:22 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Spent the last two days building a bedroom from IKEA .. not quite as complicated but a pain in the ****.
5 months ago I built a wall of Ikea wardrobes for my main bedroom; 2 doubles, 1 corner and a single, with loads of handy drawers and stuff inside them to help organise clothes etc. Took a long time but I found it surprisingly easy and quite relaxing. I just took my time and got on with it in a few evenings spare. One evening I was up till 11:30pm screwing the bits together .
Old 23 February 2015, 08:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I built mirror door wardrobes for me and the wife.
SEVEN 30" doors.

I now have half a door width of space.
HER stuff fills the rest to such an extent that it pushes the doors off the tracks.

I have to roll my underpants and socks to have enough space in my bedside cabinet drawers....
Old 23 February 2015, 08:31 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine isn't that bad! She's got a double and corner (the corner is almost the size of a double) and a 6 drawer chest! I get the other double and single which is plenty for me . I think I'm better off than probably most men when it comes to wardrobe sharing space .