ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Works like a charm......... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1020483-works-like-a-charm.html)

alcazar 22 February 2015 06:17 PM

Works like a charm.........

getting doing anything...DIY, car etc etc, you can guarantee that the moment you need any sort of part, even something silly like a washer, you'll check your watch and it will be 4pm on a Sunday.

Just worked again for me: disturbed the outlet hose from the shower pump, tried re-tightening it, it was just weeping, so removed it and the 1" washer is fekked.

I THOUGHT it looked like a washing machine hose washer...but, of course, I don't have any, nor any spare hoses.

And since the gate valve on the inlet was doing a not-very-good job of stopping the flow, I've had to remove the inlet pipe and put a stop end on there. Didn't fancy getting up tomorrow to find the stupid thing has wet my new ceiling.:mad:

I hate plumbing........

lozgti1 22 February 2015 06:42 PM

I flooded the kitchen once.....was like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia......water everywhere.was panicking like hell :-)

ALi-B 22 February 2015 07:15 PM

I still have two broken showers.

Built-in mixers - broken. Plumbers that visit rather than fix will give me a lengthy lecture on how I should never have a built-in shower mixers, which I already worked out for myself at the point they broke. My response, or should I say the response I'd like to make is "I don't f**king care what you think, it was there when I moved, shut your whining gob and fix it, and don't bodge it or make a mess or crack a tile".

Of course, life doesn't pan out like that and I'm too polite to speak my mind. Can't trust anyone not to feck it up and I will wind up having to fix them myself I guess, but I don't want to.....20yr old plastic elbows at mains pressure and no room to maneuver a wrench is not my idea of a merry weekend chilling out. So the showers stay broken. And will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Anyhoo, having both working is pointless anyway as I'd run out of hot water if both were in use. That's another issue....along with the cold downstairs bedroom, upstairs radiators constantly getting filled with air (pressurised/sealed system), the new underfloor that gurgles and can't heat the room above 20 degrees. Dodgy bogs, drippy taps, and a waste disposal unit that spews its contents into the cupboard below.

So yeah, I hate plumbing too.

Oddly, I made and fitted new metal brake pipes for a Mini and found it quite therapeutic...Got a Rover 75 to do the same with tomorrow and I'm not deterred in the slightest.....So plumbing on cars = OK, Plumbing on houses = Nightmare :cuckoo:.

One day I hope they invent a drug that'll make me more rational and withstanding of doing DIY projects that I loath...until then beer and procrastination will have to suffice....

legb4rsk 22 February 2015 09:49 PM

I have had a Aqualisa external mixer for 14 years & it has failed twice & their
service department sent me the parts the next day & didn't charge me!!!:thumb:

Very impressed.

dpb 22 February 2015 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11631947)
I flooded the kitchen once.....was like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia......water everywhere.was panicking like hell :-)

haha ....Same here , dishwasher inlet cam off ( didnt quite realise anything fro several minutes , as we had kitchen door closed ) :o

was like a mini swimming pool , some went through to basement round edge - no lasting damage , tile grout took an age to take back to white from blue

ScoobyWon't 22 February 2015 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11631985)

Built-in mixers - broken. Plumbers that visit rather than fix will give me a lengthy lecture on how I should never have a built-in shower mixers, which I already worked out for myself at the point they broke. My response, or should I say the response I'd like to make is "I don't f**king care what you think, it was there when I moved, shut your whining gob and fix it, and don't bodge it or make a mess or crack a tile".

Of course, life doesn't pan out like that and I'm too polite to speak my mind. Can't trust anyone not to feck it up and I will wind up having to fix them myself I guess, but I don't want to.....20yr old plastic elbows at mains pressure and no room to maneuver a wrench is not my idea of a merry weekend chilling out. So the showers stay broken. And will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Anyhoo, having both working is pointless anyway as I'd run out of hot water if both were in use. That's another issue....along with the cold downstairs bedroom, upstairs radiators constantly getting filled with air (pressurised/sealed system), the new underfloor that gurgles and can't heat the room above 20 degrees. Dodgy bogs, drippy taps, and a waste disposal unit that spews its contents into the cupboard below.

Oddly, I made and fitted new metal brake pipes for a Mini and found it quite therapeutic...Got a Rover 75 to do the same with tomorrow and I'm not deterred in the slightest.....So plumbing on cars = OK, Plumbing on houses = Nightmare :cuckoo:.

One day I hope they invent a drug that'll make me more rational and withstanding of doing DIY projects that I loath...until then beer and procrastination will have to suffice....

I'd move house, if I was you.

pimmo2000 22 February 2015 10:31 PM

Spent the last two days building a bedroom from IKEA .. not quite as complicated but a pain in the arse.

Turbohot 23 February 2015 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11631985)

Sorry to know about your plight, but brilliant post! You never disappoint over DIY type of things. :thumb: :lol1:

LSherratt 23 February 2015 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11632146)
Spent the last two days building a bedroom from IKEA .. not quite as complicated but a pain in the arse.

5 months ago I built a wall of Ikea wardrobes for my main bedroom; 2 doubles, 1 corner and a single, with loads of handy drawers and stuff inside them to help organise clothes etc. Took a long time but I found it surprisingly easy and quite relaxing. I just took my time and got on with it in a few evenings spare. One evening I was up till 11:30pm screwing the bits together :lol1:.

alcazar 23 February 2015 08:00 PM

I built mirror door wardrobes for me and the wife.
SEVEN 30" doors.

I now have half a door width of space.
HER stuff fills the rest to such an extent that it pushes the doors off the tracks.:mad:

I have to roll my underpants and socks to have enough space in my bedside cabinet drawers....

LSherratt 23 February 2015 08:31 PM

:lol1: Mine isn't that bad! She's got a double and corner (the corner is almost the size of a double) and a 6 drawer chest! I get the other double and single which is plenty for me :). I think I'm better off than probably most men when it comes to wardrobe sharing space :lol1:.