Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Foreign 'Big Issue' sellers

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2015, 02:45 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreign 'Big Issue' sellers

Round here, all the people selling the 'Big Issue' are Eastern European. There are several I see regularly, and as long as I've got a bit of cash spare, I'll buy a copy from them.

But I'm a bit puzzled. I got the impression that the idea of the magazine was to let homeless people in Britain help themselves as an alternative to simply begging.

It seems strange, then, that foreign people, who I believe are not supposed to be allowed to come here just to beg, are selling it. Does anyone know why this is please?
Old 13 February 2015, 03:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Welcome to this week's immigrant bashing thread!
Old 13 February 2015, 03:14 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I'm not bashing them at all (see my first line). It's just puzzling me that they find themselves begging here rather than working wherever they came from. That can't have been what they intended when they came here.
Old 13 February 2015, 03:51 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
I'm not bashing them at all (see my first line). It's just puzzling me that they find themselves begging here rather than working wherever they came from. That can't have been what they intended when they came here.
Not you, but the it's the way the thread will go.
Old 13 February 2015, 03:52 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they cant be homeless, they have a shed they keep their car cleaning kit in
Old 13 February 2015, 03:59 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osimabu
You did things with similar effect in other countries for last 500 years, why are You crying then
Old 13 February 2015, 04:23 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
You did things with similar effect in other countries for last 500 years, why are You crying then
You are a bellend...

No one can live for 500 years
Old 13 February 2015, 04:38 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
You are a bellend...

No one can live for 500 years
Ahem... Connor MacLeod
Old 13 February 2015, 04:42 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Dr Who.
Old 13 February 2015, 05:09 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

They have been importing big issue sellers for years.
Old 13 February 2015, 05:15 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Old 13 February 2015, 05:24 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
So did the Romans and Genghis Khan but I don't see a que of immigrants trying to get into Outer Mongolia?
Old 13 February 2015, 05:34 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

There must be a good dozen Romanian gypsies selling the Big Issue on the streets of Manchester City centre. Almost every busy street corner is take by them.

Apparently it counts as a full time job so they can claim housing benefit, etc.
Old 13 February 2015, 05:39 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dr Who?
Old 13 February 2015, 06:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
There must be a good dozen Romanian gypsies selling the Big Issue on the streets of Manchester City centre. Almost every busy street corner is take by them.
Manchester has just slightly more than 12 busy street corners then?
Old 13 February 2015, 06:31 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

there's a coupke of Romany eastern european woman.. one only looks about 16 selling big issue near us.

made me laff , as non look homeless or sleeping on the street, well dressed (in that long denim dress, blouse, shawl and parker) asks if i want a BI.. then gets her mobile phoneout and starts chatting away on it.

Homeless??? where does she charge her phone up???
Old 13 February 2015, 07:43 PM
Zuber
Scooby Regular

Big Issue used to help the homeless, now it just makes money like any other business, the owners don't care who sells the magazine for them. I have not purchased one for years because of this.
Old 13 February 2015, 07:55 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I used to talk to a guy that sold them and said he got 50p - copy for each one sold and could clear a £100 on a decent day

Even in my local city Carlisle there is 2/3 sellers all foreigners

Maybe all the unemployed English are too busy going To the food bank ,drinking and smoking pot and getting tattoos and taking their bulldogs out for a walk in rheir silly tracksuitss To the local pub to actually do any work like selling magazines to make a bob or two
Old 13 February 2015, 08:44 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

The guy who started the BI was on the box recently saying that his concept was now being abused ie that immigrants could register it as a job and then claim benefits.
Old 13 February 2015, 09:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe all the unemployed English are too busy going To the food bank ,drinking and smoking pot and getting tattoos and taking their bulldogs out for a walk in rheir silly tracksuitss To the local pub to actually do any work like selling magazines to make a bob or two
Oh FFS, do you actually believe the Daily fail/Express/government bollox about UK workers?????
Old 14 February 2015, 08:21 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Manchester has just slightly more than 12 busy street corners then?
Maybe there is more than 12 lol, but you know what I mean? I'm talking the 'strategic' corners around St Ann's square, Deansgate area, where there is a ton of foot traffic.

Off the top of my head I'd say only one regular Big Issue seller that is see is a real 'homeless' person.

You can tell the 'professional' sellers because they give you the hard sell. There is one **** (looks like a gypsy) who sells near the Royal Exchange theater who gets in everyones face as they walk past.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 14 February 2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 14 February 2015, 09:03 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Oh FFS, do you actually believe the Daily fail/Express/government bollox about UK workers?????
Call it a hunch I'd say that was probably more than a little tongue in cheek.
Old 14 February 2015, 01:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Maybe there is more than 12 lol, but you know what I mean? I'm talking the 'strategic' corners around St Ann's square, Deansgate area, where there is a ton of foot traffic.

Off the top of my head I'd say only one regular Big Issue seller that is see is a real 'homeless' person.

You can tell the 'professional' sellers because they give you the hard sell. There is one **** (looks like a gypsy) who sells near the Royal Exchange theater who gets in everyones face as they walk past.
I go into Manchester quite often and I really can't say I've noticed. I have a client on St Anne's Square even so do go there every now and again.

That said I seem to rarely get approached by anyone selling or brandishing a clipboard in the street.... must be my 'F**k off I'm not interested' look I have perfected. Even when I want someone to help me in a shop they all seem to hide

On a more serious note if the BI is genuinely being sold by people who are not homeless etc. then it is very sad as when it started it was a very clever and good idea that was well implemented.

Last edited by f1_fan; 14 February 2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 14 February 2015, 02:04 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I go into Manchester quite often and I really can't say I've noticed. I have a client on St Anne's Square even so do go there every now and again.

That said I seem to rarely get approached by anyone selling or brandishing a clipboard in the street.... must be my 'F**k off I'm not interested' look I have perfected. Even when I want someone to help me in a shop they all seem to hide

On a more serious note if the BI is genuinely being sold by people who are not homeless etc. then it is very sad as when it started it was a very clever and good idea that was well implemented.
St Ann's square is bad for Chuggers, same with entrance to the Arndale on Exchange Square.

I'm surprised how many people stop to speak to them. They work off a script and entice people with an affected persona (zany, extravert, confident) which they are all trained to use. I just treat them as something I would scrape off the sole of my shoe lol. Low lifes.
Old 14 February 2015, 04:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by salsa-king
there's a coupke of Romany eastern european woman.. one only looks about 16 selling big issue near us.

made me laff , as non look homeless or sleeping on the street, well dressed (in that long denim dress, blouse, shawl and parker) asks if i want a BI.. then gets her mobile phoneout and starts chatting away on it.

Homeless??? where does she charge her phone up???

Its quite amusing this.

In Spain there are professional beggars. Typically Moroccan or Romanian. During the Moors and Christian festivals they seem to migrate out the big cities and invade the smaller towns when they each have their own festivals.

So anyone trying to have peaceful meal/drink outside of a bar gets nothing but hassle. Indeed its happened to me....but on one occasion this beggar, dressed like a down and out working the tables pleading poverty and begging for money (handing out notes in several languages etc) ...... then her mobile phone rang.

Everyone in listening distance laughed at her when she realised it was her phone that as ringing.

Next time use silent mode, luv