ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Foreign 'Big Issue' sellers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1019979-foreign-big-issue-sellers.html)

Osimabu 13 February 2015 02:45 PM

Foreign 'Big Issue' sellers

Round here, all the people selling the 'Big Issue' are Eastern European. There are several I see regularly, and as long as I've got a bit of cash spare, I'll buy a copy from them.

But I'm a bit puzzled. I got the impression that the idea of the magazine was to let homeless people in Britain help themselves as an alternative to simply begging.

It seems strange, then, that foreign people, who I believe are not supposed to be allowed to come here just to beg, are selling it. Does anyone know why this is please?

f1_fan 13 February 2015 03:04 PM

Welcome to this week's immigrant bashing thread!

Osimabu 13 February 2015 03:14 PM

I'm not bashing them at all (see my first line). It's just puzzling me that they find themselves begging here rather than working wherever they came from. That can't have been what they intended when they came here.

f1_fan 13 February 2015 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Osimabu (Post 11626577)
I'm not bashing them at all (see my first line). It's just puzzling me that they find themselves begging here rather than working wherever they came from. That can't have been what they intended when they came here.

Not you, but the it's the way the thread will go.

fat-thomas 13 February 2015 03:52 PM

they cant be homeless, they have a shed they keep their car cleaning kit in :)

fawor 13 February 2015 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Osimabu (Post 11626577)

You did things with similar effect in other countries for last 500 years, why are You crying then

JGlanzaV 13 February 2015 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 11626592)
You did things with similar effect in other countries for last 500 years, why are You crying then

You are a bellend...

No one can live for 500 years :thumb:

f1_fan 13 February 2015 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11626606)
You are a bellend...

No one can live for 500 years :thumb:

Ahem... Connor MacLeod ;)

zip106 13 February 2015 04:42 PM

Dr Who.

stevebt 13 February 2015 05:09 PM

They have been importing big issue sellers for years.

Rescue Dude 13 February 2015 05:15 PM

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...pssgnqwdgl.jpg

RA Dunk 13 February 2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 11626592)

So did the Romans and Genghis Khan but I don't see a que of immigrants trying to get into Outer Mongolia?

tony de wonderful 13 February 2015 05:34 PM

There must be a good dozen Romanian gypsies selling the Big Issue on the streets of Manchester City centre. Almost every busy street corner is take by them.

Apparently it counts as a full time job so they can claim housing benefit, etc.

wrx300scooby 13 February 2015 05:39 PM

Dr Who?

f1_fan 13 February 2015 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11626655)
There must be a good dozen Romanian gypsies selling the Big Issue on the streets of Manchester City centre. Almost every busy street corner is take by them.

Manchester has just slightly more than 12 busy street corners then? :confused:

salsa-king 13 February 2015 06:31 PM

there's a coupke of Romany eastern european woman.. one only looks about 16 selling big issue near us.

made me laff , as non look homeless or sleeping on the street, well dressed (in that long denim dress, blouse, shawl and parker) asks if i want a BI.. then gets her mobile phoneout and starts chatting away on it.

Homeless??? where does she charge her phone up???

Zuber 13 February 2015 07:43 PM

Big Issue used to help the homeless, now it just makes money like any other business, the owners don't care who sells the magazine for them. I have not purchased one for years because of this.

lordharding 13 February 2015 07:55 PM

I used to talk to a guy that sold them and said he got 50p - copy for each one sold and could clear a £100 on a decent day

Even in my local city Carlisle there is 2/3 sellers all foreigners

Maybe all the unemployed English are too busy going To the food bank ,drinking and smoking pot and getting tattoos and taking their bulldogs out for a walk in rheir silly tracksuitss To the local pub to actually do any work like selling magazines to make a bob or two

Dingdongler 13 February 2015 08:44 PM

The guy who started the BI was on the box recently saying that his concept was now being abused ie that immigrants could register it as a job and then claim benefits.

alcazar 13 February 2015 09:39 PM

Maybe all the unemployed English are too busy going To the food bank ,drinking and smoking pot and getting tattoos and taking their bulldogs out for a walk in rheir silly tracksuitss To the local pub to actually do any work like selling magazines to make a bob or two
Oh FFS, do you actually believe the Daily fail/Express/government bollox about UK workers?????

tony de wonderful 14 February 2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11626669)
Manchester has just slightly more than 12 busy street corners then? :confused:

Maybe there is more than 12 lol, but you know what I mean? I'm talking the 'strategic' corners around St Ann's square, Deansgate area, where there is a ton of foot traffic.

Off the top of my head I'd say only one regular Big Issue seller that is see is a real 'homeless' person.

You can tell the 'professional' sellers because they give you the hard sell. There is one **** (looks like a gypsy) who sells near the Royal Exchange theater who gets in everyones face as they walk past.

neil-h 14 February 2015 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11626827)
Oh FFS, do you actually believe the Daily fail/Express/government bollox about UK workers?????

Call it a hunch I'd say that was probably more than a little tongue in cheek. ;)

f1_fan 14 February 2015 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11626951)
Maybe there is more than 12 lol, but you know what I mean? I'm talking the 'strategic' corners around St Ann's square, Deansgate area, where there is a ton of foot traffic.

Off the top of my head I'd say only one regular Big Issue seller that is see is a real 'homeless' person.

You can tell the 'professional' sellers because they give you the hard sell. There is one **** (looks like a gypsy) who sells near the Royal Exchange theater who gets in everyones face as they walk past.

I go into Manchester quite often and I really can't say I've noticed. I have a client on St Anne's Square even so do go there every now and again.

That said I seem to rarely get approached by anyone selling or brandishing a clipboard in the street.... must be my 'F**k off I'm not interested' look I have perfected. Even when I want someone to help me in a shop they all seem to hide :lol1:

On a more serious note if the BI is genuinely being sold by people who are not homeless etc. then it is very sad as when it started it was a very clever and good idea that was well implemented.

tony de wonderful 14 February 2015 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11627072)
I go into Manchester quite often and I really can't say I've noticed. I have a client on St Anne's Square even so do go there every now and again.

That said I seem to rarely get approached by anyone selling or brandishing a clipboard in the street.... must be my 'F**k off I'm not interested' look I have perfected. Even when I want someone to help me in a shop they all seem to hide :lol1:

On a more serious note if the BI is genuinely being sold by people who are not homeless etc. then it is very sad as when it started it was a very clever and good idea that was well implemented.

St Ann's square is bad for Chuggers, same with entrance to the Arndale on Exchange Square.

I'm surprised how many people stop to speak to them. They work off a script and entice people with an affected persona (zany, extravert, confident) which they are all trained to use. I just treat them as something I would scrape off the sole of my shoe lol. Low lifes.

ALi-B 14 February 2015 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 11626685)
there's a coupke of Romany eastern european woman.. one only looks about 16 selling big issue near us.

made me laff , as non look homeless or sleeping on the street, well dressed (in that long denim dress, blouse, shawl and parker) asks if i want a BI.. then gets her mobile phoneout and starts chatting away on it.

Homeless??? where does she charge her phone up???

Its quite amusing this.

In Spain there are professional beggars. Typically Moroccan or Romanian. During the Moors and Christian festivals they seem to migrate out the big cities and invade the smaller towns when they each have their own festivals.

So anyone trying to have peaceful meal/drink outside of a bar gets nothing but hassle. Indeed its happened to me....but on one occasion this beggar, dressed like a down and out working the tables pleading poverty and begging for money (handing out notes in several languages etc) ...... then her mobile phone rang.

Everyone in listening distance laughed at her when she realised it was her phone that as ringing.

Next time use silent mode, luv :lol1: