Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Went to Aldi for the first time the other day....

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2015, 01:30 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went to Aldi for the first time the other day....

My girlfriend and I decided to do our weekly shop at Aldi just to see what it was like, but we knew that we would still have to pop to Tesco afterwards to get a few things that wouldn't be available at Aldi.

To cut the story short, I don't see the attraction? It didn't seem any cheaper compared to Tesco's? For example, their orange juice was something like £1.30 but they had the orange juice with bits down to 55p which I picked up and yes it does taste nice but I'm more than happy with Tesco's own brand orange juice for 55 odd pence (both not from concentrate and counting as 1 of your 5 a day).

Then when we got to Tesco's to check the prices of whole British chicken, Tesco's was cheaper so it's all swings and roundabouts. Plus we had to detour to the Aldi in the first place and we won't be getting as many Tesco club card points... Safe to say, we'll stick to Tesco's.
Old 20 January 2015, 01:31 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should've gone to Lidl!
Old 20 January 2015, 01:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are some bargains like anywhere, but the average punter then thinks he'll get a cheaper deal for the whole shopping trolley, and guess what he doesn't particularly

I never expected it to be cheaper ( use Lidl myself )

Just a marginally better class of chav than tossco.

Old 20 January 2015, 03:01 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I shop in Aldi as well as in Tesco. I was in Tesco again to get a prescription this lunch time. I thought I'd get a slab of the Welsh Cheddar cheese as well. It was 3 quid for the same weight slab as Aldi's, and Aldi's is only 1.75 per slab. Tastes better, even.

I can guarantee you that you save money in Aldi. It wasn't easy for me to start shopping in there. But now, I'm converted.

Not a great fan of juices in Aldi. But lots of other things are good there. For example meat, veges, nuts, cheeses etc.
Old 20 January 2015, 03:18 PM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Some stuff in aldi is incredibly cheap because its three times the quality of other supermarkets and half the price - its just trying items to see what suits your palate

Try their frozen peas and frozen sweetcorn etc - hands down the best around

We never buy fresh meat in aldi as everything we tried just wasnt that nice

Big bags of lovely pistachios in aldi are £1.89 , theyre gorgeous and a bag half the size that arent anywhere near as nice anywhere else costs the same

We have quite a few essentials we go to aldi for that cant get anywhere else at the price or quality and personally i love the cheap tool offers and stuff to look at while shes food shopping

Its just about trying stuff - start with the pistachios and tell me theyre not gorgeous and great value

Last edited by scoobyskool; 20 January 2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Spelling :-)
Old 20 January 2015, 04:41 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

we started and cut down, now we get tinned stuff, crisps, cupboard stuff and some freezer stuff

But im convinced they started putting their prices up, i nipped in yesterday as i was passing and got a few bits and was £20 for 1 bag
Old 20 January 2015, 05:06 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Many of the products come from the same supplier but are packaged differently. But I ask myself do I really need 8 or 9 different types of beans or any other product.

A local cake factory in South Wales lost a contract with Waitrose and had to make people redundant.

It transpires they also made cakes on the same production line with the same ingredients for Aldi, the price difference was about £3.

Go figure.

Trending Topics

Old 20 January 2015, 08:50 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

It seems to me that the prices are very much the same at the end of the day but Aldi food probably tastes better than your Tesco etc. The orange juice I bought tasted very similar to Tropicana, but for the effort and hassle, I'd still rather to do the whole weekly shop at Tesco in one hit.

Although I don't mind going to Tesco's and it defiantly isn't chavvy in the store I go to. But that's probably because I go to the store on the outskirts of Gloucester which is actually closer to me anyway, compared to the big Tesco 'Extra' and Asda's closer to the city centre where the majority of people probably go.
Old 21 January 2015, 01:23 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by LSherratt
It seems to me that the prices are very much the same
Nowadays, I would agree. Maybe a combination of Aldi putting prices up and supermarkets bringing many of theirs down, but whatever the case may be, the end result is there is not so much of a difference in price as there once was.

The same has happened over the years with other 'discounters' in the world of retail. They start out cheap, but over time, that initial pull for customers goes, as the prices go up/new (cheaper) competition emerges. I think in part, this happens because changes in shopping habits can see an increase in 'higher class' customers coming and these once discounters want to keep them and attract more, so distance themselves from the cheap and cheerful, perhaps opting for a bit more in the way of quality rather than keeping prices as low as they can be (this is often unavoidable if this is the target market as like it or not, many, more well to do folk simply don't want to shop somewhere with a more trampy image-or at least did not want to). They then lose the business of the 'common folk' (now even the higher class as some seem to have put a bargain before image) to even cheaper stores, but ultimately, they will go the same way. This is ignoring tricks of the trade to appear better value than they actually are.

Retail has become a funny old world over the last few years.
Old 21 January 2015, 10:47 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
It seems to me that the prices are very much the same at the end of the day but Aldi food probably tastes better than your Tesco etc. The orange juice I bought tasted very similar to Tropicana, but for the effort and hassle, I'd still rather to do the whole weekly shop at Tesco in one hit.
Why not. If that's most convenient and feels right for you, than that's what you should do. No point p7ssing about in different stores, wasting your time.

I felt exactly the same when I started to go to LIDL and Aldi. I get very comfortable with my usual places, and find it hard to switch. For example, I find difficult shopping in my nine miles away Asda, because I'm not used to their layout, and their packaging is poorer than cheapy German stores imo. I don't connect with their logo and colour scheme either. It looks boring and A&E to me. So, I carried on shopping at Tesco. But one day, when I had more time, I walked about researching these less organised, less flash German stores with comparing prices and establishing that they actually existed on such stores' shelves. Gradually, I got used to these places. Now, I'm fine with shopping in Aldi, although I still shop in Tesco when I'm very tight with time, or when I need specific things that Aldi / LIDL don't sell e.g. gluten free stuff for my kid etc. Luckily, My Aldi and LIDL are so close to my Tesco that I can walk into any of these stores with five shopping bags in my each hand and bent spine, and still come out with more bargains.

In my experience, fresh food from Aldi and LIDL croaks it sooner than that from Tesco. That's one of the criticisms I have, of these stores. But if you cook and eat it soon, then you have nothing to moan about.

Although I don't mind going to Tesco's and it defiantly isn't chavvy in the store I go to. But that's probably because I go to the store on the outskirts of Gloucester which is actually closer to me anyway, compared to the big Tesco 'Extra' and Asda's closer to the city centre where the majority of people probably go.
Out local Tesco isn't chavvy. It has only experienced an extremely rare incident in last week or so when a racist attacked a random Asian. Racist or no racist, things like that hardly ever happen in our local. I used to see some poor looking people in Aldi and LIDL, but it has changed this end very rapidly. I regularly see senior council managers and other well-off professionals shopping in these places now. It warms my heart to see the rich and the poor shopping side by side, without any arrogance, hatred and pretence; in Aldi and LIDL.

If anyone has been to Tesco Home Plus, they'll know that that's a good one for crockery. I was looking for a decent tea pot, and John Lewis were selling some awful looking ones for ridiculous 'triple the value' sum. My one-off Tesco Home Plus visit (at Greyhound Park, Chester) sorted me out with a stylish one for 7 quid. I hardly use it, but sometimes, when I make rich Indian Chai or over-civilised English tea, it's handy.
Old 26 January 2015, 08:39 PM
scoobyland
BANNED

I don't think I have been into a ALDI, but LIDL food is much better than Morrisons.
Old 26 January 2015, 08:50 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Best thing about Aldi is that they sell Frikadellen.
Old 27 January 2015, 06:54 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Best thing about Aldi is that they sell Frikadellen.
And Bratwurst. . Steve.
Old 27 January 2015, 07:31 PM
scoobyland
BANNED

I went into LIDL today. Some good stuff in there,
Old 27 January 2015, 09:38 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyland
I went into LIDL today. Some good stuff in there,