Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

WHY are we in the UK obsessed with houses?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2015, 06:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default WHY are we in the UK obsessed with houses?

(rant mode:ON)
Every night on the TV, no matter what channel you choose, there's some **** selling, buying, doing up, choosing, wrecking, DIY-ing, being helped to choose, doing up to sell...houses.
In the UK, in the USA, in Europe, Australia, etc etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Is that all these numb ***** can think of for entertainment?

And to cap it all, the one that's on all the bloody time, every night, repeat after repeat, "A place in the sun, home or away", sets itself up as some sort of utterly stupid competition, the "away" presenter, Jasmine Harmon is about 6 foot but still wears 3" heels...and looks stupid with it, has the biggest overbite ever seen on TV, teeth like her dad was Mr. Ed, and talks in a sort of strangled, whiny estuary accent! A bullet would be kindest for her!

And before anyone says she's got big norks, yes, but that doesn't even start to compensate for the rest.

I'm utterly sick of it...and last night I saw yet ANOTHER format on the same tired old crap..........

(rant mode: OFF)
Old 22 January 2015, 06:58 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it ur not DIY ing 2night
Old 22 January 2015, 06:59 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In the UK 'we' are obsessed by property, as we regard it as a colossal investment (which it is, when compared to anything else).

I say 'we', as I'm not one of 'em. I rent. I may get a house, I may not. Couldn't give a toss about the positive equity you may accrue by having a house. That aspect is only relevant if you considerably downside in your later years so as to release the cash to enrich your retirement... But how many people ACTUALLY do that.

Humble bricks, floor area and ceiling height are overrated IMO.

- Hey, lay off The Harman - "You're talking about the woman I love!!" [To quote the sadly departed, great Rik Mayall ]

Last edited by joz8968; 22 January 2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 22 January 2015, 07:24 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
(rant mode:ON)
Every night on the TV, no matter what channel you choose, there's some **** selling, buying, doing up, choosing, wrecking, DIY-ing, being helped to choose, doing up to sell...houses.
In the UK, in the USA, in Europe, Australia, etc etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Is that all these numb ***** can think of for entertainment?

And to cap it all, the one that's on all the bloody time, every night, repeat after repeat, "A place in the sun, home or away", sets itself up as some sort of utterly stupid competition, the "away" presenter, Jasmine Harmon is about 6 foot but still wears 3" heels...and looks stupid with it, has the biggest overbite ever seen on TV, teeth like her dad was Mr. Ed, and talks in a sort of strangled, whiny estuary accent! A bullet would be kindest for her!

And before anyone says she's got big norks, yes, but that doesn't even start to compensate for the rest.

I'm utterly sick of it...and last night I saw yet ANOTHER format on the same tired old crap..........

(rant mode: OFF)

It is quite sad isn't it?
Old 22 January 2015, 07:28 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

It's ludicrous.You need to be a millionaire even to start on the ladder.
Most modern houses are so easy to build and should be dirt cheap.

The rental market needs far more regulation to enable fair rents for long term tenants/families & ensure good quality housing.

It works on the continent.
Old 22 January 2015, 07:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ahh, your watching TV in the time slots reserved for the stay at home mummies and those in retirement One could say its a conspiracy to drive the economy by getting all the rich retirees to spend some dough (well, the shows based in the UK - escape to the country etc.) Or its just a pointless "Through the Keyhole" type excercise for the stay at home mummies to bitch about the colour of the curtains.

Anyhoo, I have one name for you:

Sara Damergi

Ding dong. That is all
Old 22 January 2015, 07:35 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
...I have one name for you:

Sara Damergi

Ding dong. That is all
Suitably googled:

Start wanking now!
Old 22 January 2015, 07:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

And I am not obsessed with my house per-se.

I'm more obsessed with all the things wrong with it.....I'd rather not go there.
Old 22 January 2015, 07:38 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Homes under the hammer, every single day, 10am-11am while I'm on my coffee break Think I've even had a dream about Martin and Lucy due to watching 100's of episodes
Old 22 January 2015, 07:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by joz8968
Suitably googled:

Start wanking now!

You don't need a house with her....just a motorboat will do
Old 22 January 2015, 07:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

It's not just programmes about property, it's TV in general. 99% of it is made for braindead w4nkers that have no job or life.

As bad as the property programmes are compared to the soaps they are masterpieces of TV making.

If you actually have time to watch and derive enjoyment from the soaps then you're a good argument for human culling in my book!
Old 22 January 2015, 07:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it is simply a combination of the home being a "castle" and the perception that you can make serious money from them

And in certain parts of the country that is absolutely true

I was having lunch in london today with an old friend, he is moving to what looks like a lovely part of France (il de re)

He is selling up, a nice, but nothing special 4 bed in Wandsworth - been advised to put is on the market for 1.75 million

He paid 240k in 1995 (the mortgage was often covered by tennants - in fact he ended up marrying of them, so an added bonus is that his living cost were of peanuts)

No that is over a million quid 100% tax free

Not bad going - and when the buyers solicitors deposits the money in his account, that is real money
Old 22 January 2015, 08:16 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
...If you actually have time to watch and derive enjoyment from the soaps then you're a good argument for human culling in my book!

I properly laughed out loud at that.

...At long last, a GENUINE lol.

Last edited by joz8968; 22 January 2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 22 January 2015, 08:23 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I properly laughed out loud at that.

...At long last, a GENUINE lol.
Glad to be of service
Old 22 January 2015, 08:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I only derive enjoyment from mainstream TV progams if someone gets killed.

Why oh why couldn't the minibus run over Norris before it crashed

(and no, I didn't watch it through choice )
Old 22 January 2015, 08:52 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

If you actually have time to watch and derive enjoyment from the soaps then you're a good argument for human culling in my book!
Would that be halal culling or traditional UK ?
Old 22 January 2015, 08:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
Would that be halal culling or traditional UK ?
If it's Eastenders they watch then whichever is the most painful
Old 22 January 2015, 09:03 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

In the UK 'we' are obsessed by property, as we regard it as a colossal investment (which it is, when compared to anything else).

I say 'we', as I'm not one of 'em. I rent. I may get a house, I may not. Couldn't give a toss about the positive equity you may accrue by having a house. That aspect is only relevant if you considerably downside in your later years so as to release the cash to enrich your retirement... But how many people ACTUALLY do that.

Humble bricks, floor area and ceiling height are overrated IMO.

- Hey, lay off The Harman - "You're talking about the woman I love!!" [To quote the sadly departed, great Rik Mayall ]
But, if you rent all your life, what do you get at the end of it? Nothing.

Most rents are the equivalent of a Mortgage anyway.

If you pay a Mortgage for 25 years you have a secure roof over your head come retirement. Hopefully enough to allow you to pay the bills and make sure you are able to feed yourself.

If you rent all your life, and you hit retirement. What happens if your pension doesn't even clear the rent, let alone able you to pay the Utility/food bills. Then what? You are homeless !

At least if you buy, and your pension isn't sufficient, then you can sell, downsize, and release some essential equity to allow you to live.

Forget all these pensions paying for a happy retirement. Apart from public service workers like Teachers etc, who are guaranteed £25-30K pensions (yet moan like F*ck at having to work a few extra years and contribute an extra £100 a month, even though most private sector workers would have to invest most of their wages to get any where near a Teachers cushy pension) then the most of us will probably struggle to enjoy a pension of between £5-10k pa. And that's if we're lucky.
Old 22 January 2015, 09:23 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Indeed. None of that is lost on me......
Old 22 January 2015, 09:26 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

What you need to do is mortgage within a inch of your life, then rent that property out so someone else pays the mortgage (possible make a few quid on top) then rent a much smaller house while you enjoy life and buy cars etc then when you retire, kick the tenant out and sell to downsize.

This ones for TDW
Old 22 January 2015, 10:11 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Downside is,come retirement,mortgage paid off then you have to sell to live in an extortionately priced care home :-( when the time comes of course.....
Old 22 January 2015, 10:23 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Move to Scotland, free care
Old 22 January 2015, 10:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

hes moved to france allready
Old 22 January 2015, 11:12 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I'm no fan of these shows.

However if it's a programme about buying, doing up and selling cars you lot feckin rave about.

Bloody hypocrites
Old 22 January 2015, 11:42 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Downside is,come retirement,mortgage paid off then you have to sell to live in an extortionately priced care home :-( when the time comes of course.....
Dignitas.
Old 23 January 2015, 12:09 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Lol
Old 23 January 2015, 01:05 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

If Subaru made houses, I'd have one! :-)
Old 23 January 2015, 07:25 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
But, if you rent all your life, what do you get at the end of it? Nothing.

Most rents are the equivalent of a Mortgage anyway.

If you pay a Mortgage for 25 years you have a secure roof over your head come retirement. Hopefully enough to allow you to pay the bills and make sure you are able to feed yourself.

If you rent all your life, and you hit retirement. What happens if your pension doesn't even clear the rent, let alone able you to pay the Utility/food bills. Then what? You are homeless !

At least if you buy, and your pension isn't sufficient, then you can sell, downsize, and release some essential equity to allow you to live.

Forget all these pensions paying for a happy retirement. Apart from public service workers like Teachers etc, who are guaranteed £25-30K pensions (yet moan like F*ck at having to work a few extra years and contribute an extra £100 a month, even though most private sector workers would have to invest most of their wages to get any where near a Teachers cushy pension) then the most of us will probably struggle to enjoy a pension of between £5-10k pa. And that's if we're lucky.
Can the average person still get mortgage ?
And as for tv pffff.Happened to see a little coronation street this week,first time in months,only because visiting parents,mother is old school coronation street,been a follower of it since the early years.
These soaps majority of storyline seems to be based on GF/BF fighting spliting up getting back to together,or married couples cheating.
Old 23 January 2015, 08:09 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Can the average person still get mortgage ?.
I think the answer is that they are going to find it increasingly difficult

I suspect, just as firms/business offering a decent work based pension have declined - with none now offering the old style defined benefits)

There will be fewer and fewer businesses offering normal employment contracts - with fixed hours, holiday, sick pay - and all the benefits an old style "job".

We are moving to zero contract and the self employed model as the norm not the exception
Old 23 January 2015, 11:38 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I don't get it either and it bores the living **** out of me how much people bang on about it.
Much better overseas where they care about more interesting stuff.

I heard that someone in London (via radio) with £100k salary can't afford a house anywhere near where she needs to be - it's bloody insane. But it makes people feel rich (when they are often right on the edge of going bust), allows them to boast about how clever they are and keeps the trades in business.

In our situation, the banks can naff right off - we're doing things our own way and should hopefully buy a house soonish outright (the wheels are in motion). Will I bang on and on about it? No, I'll live in it and be pleased we "beat" the broken system we are suffocated by.

Meanwhile we rent a nice place by the sea and laugh at the second home w4nkers that pretend they own the place. For two weeks a year.

Quick Reply: WHY are we in the UK obsessed with houses?