Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Persistent Chesty Cough

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2014, 10:12 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Persistent Chesty Cough

Never had anything like this, had a few coughs that lingered in the past but this has been going on for at least six weeks now.

Two trips to the docs so far, first time only allowed to see the prescribing nurse as it's only a cough, got prescribed five days worth of antibiotics (Amoxicillin) which did nothing. Back again to see a real GP and given another antibiotic to try this time for a week as well as some Codeine syrup to help at night. Now this time it seems to have made a difference in so far as it's better than it was but it has yet to go completely and the antibiotics ran out on Tuesday. At the moment it's really not too bad in the day but at night I get the nasty rattly gurgly sensation in my lungs and if I get woken up its often followed by a coughing fit and failure to get back to sleep after that. The Codeine helps me get off to sleep in the first place without too much bother. Two 4:30am starts this week led to me taking yet another day off sick yesterday. The docs haven't signed me off so obviously doesn't think it's that bad.

The doctor said to give it two weeks before returning and that if these antibiotics didn't work she'd be sending me for a chest X-Ray. This scares me a bit though I'm sure it's purely precautionary.

Am I going to die or do I just need yet another antibiotic or is it just a troublesome virus that will eventually run its course?

Worst bit of it all is our daughter who at 19 months still doesn't sleep through, has just got over an infection herself and often ends up in our bed during the night which disturbs me so I don't get much sleep. It's a bit of a viscous circle.

It's making work difficult for me as I'm struggling to concentrate most days and I've had to refuse to go on a business trip to Germany as I didn't think I was well enough but I mention how tired I am at the doctors and they don't seem to take it on board.

I know in reality it's quite minor but I'm just finding the whole thing quite depressing and just want to be well again

Last edited by Graz; 11 December 2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11 December 2014, 11:03 AM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a persistent cough a couple of years ago and I was feeling tired all the while, I woke up one morning for work and went downstairs for a cuppa.
I went to climb the stairs to get ready for work and I couldn't do it, I just had no power in my legs at all so rang in sick.
I was sent for a chest X-ray and it turned out I had pneumonia, it knocked me off my feet for six weeks.... Nasty !

Go for the chest X-ray and get checked out bud, don't wait till your on your knees

Siv
Old 11 December 2014, 11:08 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

do you know if it bacterial or viral

antibiotics are pointless for viral infections
Old 11 December 2014, 11:39 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

I'm surprised antibiotics were prescribed without ascertaining the cause. Doctors don't usually prescribe anything strong for coughs. You'll probably find Benylin more effective than prescribed cough medicine. That said the underlying cause needs to be found. Hope you get better soon.
Old 11 December 2014, 11:43 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

I don't but I guess the GP thinks it's bacterial otherwise they would have prescribed the antibiotics? But then I'm tending to think viral otherwise the antibiotics would have worked?

I'm surprised they haven't asked me for a sample (of phlegm (yuk)) to send off to test. Surely that would give a definitive answer?
Old 11 December 2014, 11:48 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sivo
I had a persistent cough a couple of years ago and I was feeling tired all the while, I woke up one morning for work and went downstairs for a cuppa.
I went to climb the stairs to get ready for work and I couldn't do it, I just had no power in my legs at all so rang in sick.
I was sent for a chest X-ray and it turned out I had pneumonia, it knocked me off my feet for six weeks.... Nasty !

Go for the chest X-ray and get checked out bud, don't wait till your on your knees

Siv
I will go for the X-Ray if the GP thinks that is necessary. I was told to give it a couple of weeks last time so I'll be back at the doctors next week if there is no improvement or it gets worse again.

The big C is always in the back of you mind with something like that. I haven't smoked for the best part of ten years, when I did I wouldn't class myself as a heavy smoker but the fact I ever smoked is enough to set the mind racing. Really wish I'd never done it really but I was young and foolish.
Old 11 December 2014, 12:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife has had similar, she has been for her chest X-ray.
hers is just about gone now, after 6 weeks and the same two visits you had, nurse and doctor...
They diagnosed bronchitis.

Last time I had similar, I was told off by the doctor for NOT going after it had hung on for two weeks, told me I risked pneumonia......
Old 11 December 2014, 03:08 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Not as bad but I can't shake mine either; I've had a few spells of struggling to breathe. I keep thinking it's gone, going for a surf then getting it back again
My usual medicine (a decent whisky) doesn't seem to be working. I'll persist in trying more just in case...
Old 11 December 2014, 03:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just been to our docs..apparently i now have tonsilitis...great....
Old 11 December 2014, 03:40 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a virus that's going round, I've just about nearly got rid of my cough after 3-4 weeks.
Doctor gave me antibiotics but said it won't do anything and just needs time.
You'll have to man up and live with it I'm afraid.
Old 11 December 2014, 03:59 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Had pneumonia myself about 15 years ago and wouldn't wish
it on anyone. Imagine trying to breath but you can't get a
lungfull, it's often likened to drowning which I can agree with.

Get the chest X-ray just to confirm its not pneumonia.
Old 11 December 2014, 04:08 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Not as bad but I can't shake mine either; I've had a few spells of struggling to breathe. I keep thinking it's gone, going for a surf then getting it back again
My usual medicine (a decent whisky) doesn't seem to be working. I'll persist in trying more just in case...
Think I might revert to that course of action, the missus bought me a bottle of Aberlour for our anniversary a few weeks back and I've hardly touched it. Will have a gargle with it this weekend. Just had a dry weekend as I didn't want to stop the antibiotics working, haven't done that for some time
Old 11 December 2014, 04:31 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I have never suffered with coughs even tho I'm a smoker(now a vaper) but I read an article written by a doctor who said dark chocolate is as good as anything for chesty coughs,try this or just buy a packet of ****
Old 11 December 2014, 05:07 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

I'm shocked if the gp prescribed the codeine.

Unless recommendations have drastically changed (or the gp thought getting to sleep at night was more important) then taking codeine linctus is the worst thing to do for a chesty productive cough. Codeine supressess the need to cough, so it's great if its dry and tickly, especially at night, but with a chesty cough it keeps the phlegm and crap stuck in your lungs where it can get worse/develop into an infection/could be prolonging your cough.

Obviously your GPs advice is more important than someone on the internet, but I still find that really bizarre.
Someone else here qualified might offer better advice but I'd query that with a pharmacist, I'm actually surprised they've not questioned the combination of antibiotics and codeine.

Last edited by Ellie*; 11 December 2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11 December 2014, 08:46 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some echinacea down you. It fends off a cold when I get a tickley/sore throat and stops it in its tracks, it also chases coughs away. Might be worth a try, certainly works for my family.
Old 11 December 2014, 08:57 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Think I might revert to that course of action, the missus bought me a bottle of Aberlour for our anniversary a few weeks back and I've hardly touched it. Will have a gargle with it this weekend. Just had a dry weekend as I didn't want to stop the antibiotics working, haven't done that for some time
Exactly what I have at the moment. Could be smoother but it's still nice enough for me
Old 12 December 2014, 07:59 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Don't cough to hard as I got pneumonia a while back and used to wak up having couging fits and coughed so hard I collapsed one of my lungs and had to go into hospital to sort it out lol ,,, hope its sorts its self out soon
Old 12 December 2014, 08:02 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

bug going round our work at the min, seems to be ill one week, better the next, then ill again then better but cough takes 4-6 weeks to go.
Old 12 December 2014, 08:24 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Don't cough to hard as I got pneumonia a while back and used to wak up having couging fits and coughed so hard I collapsed one of my lungs and had to go into hospital to sort it out lol ,,, hope its sorts its self out soon
Holy ****!!! You win the "worst cough" award!!
Old 12 December 2014, 09:40 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Exactly what I have at the moment. Could be smoother but it's still nice enough for me
Feel slightly better today after a mild attempt at killing whatever it is with alcohol. Had a whisky mac before dinner, a few glasses of a nice Bordeaux with dinner, and a drop of the Aberlour before bed. Didn't take any codeine as I think that's generally considered a bad idea with booze.

Think I'll try and kill it off over the weekend and if that fails then back to the docs next week.

She said to take the codeine after I complained that I was knackered / not getting much sleep. I was surprised too as I thought it was pretty much proven that it does nothing to help these days, but then it has helped me get off to sleep without any drama. I've only been taking it just before bed though.

I'll get some Echinacea too, I'll try anything at the moment. The wife says she's had success with it but best to take it as a prevention rather than a cure.
Old 12 December 2014, 10:57 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Holy ****!!! You win the "worst cough" award!!
To be honest I didn't notice that much just had a bit of pain in my chest and short of breath but coughed up a spot of blood so went to see the doc and then found out I'd collapsed a lung ,, still took myself down to the hospital as they said it would be quicker lol
Old 12 December 2014, 12:33 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Feel slightly better today after a mild attempt at killing whatever it is with alcohol. Had a whisky mac before dinner, a few glasses of a nice Bordeaux with dinner, and a drop of the Aberlour before bed. Didn't take any codeine as I think that's generally considered a bad idea with booze.

Think I'll try and kill it off over the weekend and if that fails then back to the docs next week.

She said to take the codeine after I complained that I was knackered / not getting much sleep. I was surprised too as I thought it was pretty much proven that it does nothing to help these days, but then it has helped me get off to sleep without any drama. I've only been taking it just before bed though.

I'll get some Echinacea too, I'll try anything at the moment. The wife says she's had success with it but best to take it as a prevention rather than a cure.
Codeine linctus can help if your cough is dry and tickly because as I said, it supresses the cough reflex, and yeah for some people it'll help them sleep.
None of the medicines for dry coughs (codeine, pholcodine and any Benylin/Robitussin OTC stuff containing dextromethorphan) should be used by someone with a chesty cough, because keeping the phlegm down there is the worst thing to do.

There's debate over whether expectorants really help with chesty coughs these days, I don think there's any real evidence that it'll help get rid of it quicker although they claim to help you cough the crap up. Either way, it's not harmful. That's why you can pick chesty cough medicine up off a supermarket shelf, where as the dry cough medicines (other than lemon and honey type stuff) are all behind a pharmacy counter (and party because of the abuse potential/not suitable for asthmatics).
But yeah, perhaps your gp thought getting some sleep is more beneficial that coughing all night.

Last edited by Ellie*; 12 December 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 19 December 2014, 10:29 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Thought things were improving but after another bad night I returned to to doctors yesterday. Got examined and all okay, said my lungs sounded clear which they seem to be in the daytime. Got sent off to the hospital to get a chest X-Ray, should have the results in a few days. I'm sure there's nothing major wrong but I'm still a bit anxious as to what the results may be.

Having been to the germ ridden doctors and hospital yesterday I now feel like I have a cold coming on, sore throat and sneezey this morning. Typical, although I can't help but wonder if it's something I've been suppressing for sometime.

Think I need a holiday!
Old 19 December 2014, 06:55 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes a night cough is nothing to do with your lungs and is due to acid reflux from the stomach irritating your throat ( reflux will be exacerbated when lying flat)

Sometimes it's a post nasal drip.

These are worth considering if the chest x ray is clear.

Good luck
Old 13 March 2015, 02:44 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Remembered I'd started this thread sometime ago, time for a little update....

So my chest X-Ray results come back and I get a call from the doctors on Christmas Eve saying nothing to worry about but the GP want to have a telephone consultation with you about the X-Ray after Christmas and we need to book you in for a blood test. WTF thinks me!

Had the chat with the GP, they've seen something they don't like the look of on the X-Ray, probably nothing but we're booking you in for a CT scan to be sure. Blood test is for the CT scan to make sure my kidney function is okay for the X-Ray dye. Scan booked for early January. Cr*pping myself a bit more now.

Went back to work for a few days after Christmas and really wasn't coping very well, not sleeping, etc. Back down the GPs, signed off for two weeks and put on drugs for anxiety / depression.

Meantime I have the CT scan. A while after that get the call from the GP, CT scan showing enlarged / inflamed lymph glands in my chest. Being referred to the hospital as a cancer case but it might not be. Doubly cr*pping myself now, mentioned I'd been signed off for two weeks due to anxiety, we'll extend that to six weeks says GP.

Hospital appointment comes through. The consultant suggests a few possibilities with sarcoidosis being high on the list which I'd never heard of until then but whilst a bit of a pain generally isn't life threatening however lymphatic cancer is still a possibility. Wants to do a broncoscopy examination on me during which several biopsies of my lymph glands would be taken. Can fit me in next week More blood work done at this stage too + lung capacity test, height, weight, BP, etc.

Had the broncoscopy done, wouldn't recommend this to anyone but the sedative helped a lot. Pretty weird having a camera shoved into you lungs. Clever bit is said camera has a ultrasound device on it so they can look outwards from my lungs into the chest cavity at the lymph glands and guide a needle from inside my lungs into the glands to take samples

Got a call a week later on the answering machine, the consultant wants to see me. I eventually get hold of the nurse who made the appointment and find out the broncoscopy did not provide a diagnosis so need to discuss what next. Apparently not always guaranteed with that procedure due to the small sample obtained.

Back to the consultant, next action is surgery to get a better biopsy. Still cr*pping myself that I have cancer. Referred to a different hospital as ours doesn't do chest surgery. Also booked in for a more extensive lung capacity / capability test.

In the meantime the cough has pretty much gone and my sick note is about to run out. Decide to go back to work to help take my mind off things / provide some distraction

Appointment with the surgeon comes through, says it's a routine operation and they should be able to do it as a day case. Should be able to fit me in next Friday or the one after. More blood work done, normal checks + swabs for MRSA. Few days later I get a phone call confirming it's on the next Friday.

In for the surgery, another chest X-Ray, ECG, and finally wheeled down to theatre where I'm knocked out. Come round an hour or so later. All done and no complications. True to there word after a few hours on the ward and being treated to a lovely hospital dinner I was sent home. Sore for a few days after but back to work on Monday.

Few weeks later get the appointment through for follow up (yesterday). Another chest X-Ray and then see the consultant. No trace of cancer found Checked I was healing up okay. Now they still don't actually know what is causing the inflammation of my lymph glands but the biopsies will go for further testing to find out.

So I'm still in the dark about it all but at least I don't have cancer. Next appointment is mid April back with the consultant at our local hospital. Should know more by then.

Not the greatest start to the year but at least if there was anything else wrong with me then they'd have probably found it by now.
Old 13 March 2015, 03:29 PM
shytorque
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear your still kicking around...
I find the best thing for a persistent cough is to have Jakemans throat and chest menthol lozengers (original flavour is best , I find) . Had a real bad cough ,chest for over a month last November time and this is the only thing that allowed me to sooth my throat at night time when I wanted to sleep.(just don't fall to sleep with one in your mouth like I did ...you may choke ...!!)

Keep the Kiddie out of the bed as this will not benefit you or the child and ensures many nights of restless broken sleep for all. Bad habit.

Hope you get shut of it soon and get back to full health.
Old 13 March 2015, 08:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Bloody Hell, think I'd be crapping myself going through all that.

At least it sounds not so serious now.

Have they done an AIDS test...?
Old 13 March 2015, 09:14 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pmsl at the aids test....

Its probably nowt to worry about now the big c is out of the equation.

I hope it all turns out alright for you
Old 13 March 2015, 10:06 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Just wondered if you had a heart murmur or similar. There is a condition called endocarditis which is a heart infection & can cause a persistent cough. It can be treated with antibiotics intravenously, but can be fatal if not diagnosed early enough & it can linger for a few years before becoming fatal. My doctors thought I had it, but it turned out to be a sudden detioration in my asthma, cured by new combination inhailers.
Old 14 March 2015, 01:04 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to a dry warm climate for a few weeks.