Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky Digital - poor picture quality

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2002, 12:44 AM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Need advice from anyone that's been in a similar situation.

Got sky digital installed last October. Everything OK until about a month ago when the picture quality started getting worse. Now unable to watch any channels. I'm 99% sure the problem is caused by the number of trees near my house. The trees now all have leaves.

Phoned sky last week, they are sending a man round on thursday. Didn't mention the trees cos that would give them an easy way out 'oh well it's the trees nothing we can do bye'

Anyone know how far I can take this. Can I demand the dish is repositioned? Even though I've signed up for a years subscription can I cancel it because they are not supplying the service I'm paying for.

Colin.
Old 03 June 2002, 09:21 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I had exactly the same thing happen. Dish was installed in Jan last year when there were no leaves on the trees. I even said to the guy that this would be a problem but he assured me it wouldn't. Sure enough, leaves came out and picture went crap. I think they will reposition the dish for free unless it's very awkward; in my case I was charged £40 for it to mounted on a post on my chimney - trees are quite big! Since then, no probs.
Old 03 June 2002, 09:46 AM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

You could also try using a bigger dish. One of the old round dishes from an analogue installation will give better reception than a smaller, oval, "minidish" that they use now.
Obviously, you still need the digital LNB, so it would have to be "transplanted".
Old 03 June 2002, 10:15 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Well your problem may be trees, but before you go any further you might want to check for spiders webs.
I know it sounds really silly, but my picture quality degraded over a few weeks, and when I got up next to the dish it turned out the cause was because a spider had woven a nice big web right the way across the dish.
Sounds like your problem is trees, but it's worth giving the dish a quick check first.
Old 04 June 2002, 01:20 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

What sort of TV do you have? If it can support an RGB input and you are using a scart select RGB in the setup menu. Transforms the picture. I know that this is not helping your problem but it is worth doing never the less.
Old 04 June 2002, 09:45 AM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the responses

SimonH - I'm the ground floot flat in a 2 storey building. I don't have a chimney, and even if I did it wouldn't be high enough to clear these trees.

dharbige - didn't think of getting a bigger dish, good idea! Will maybe suggest this to Mr Sky.

Sheepsplitter - LOL love the name, giving the dish a clean was the first thing I did with no noticeable improvement.

C h a z - Already got it set up for RGB.

The problem trees are not in my property. They are in a neighbours. The house has just changed hands so maybe the new owners are planning some tree surgery. The new owners also have a Honda S2000 so I could maybe pop over for a chat and blag a spin in his car.

Anyone else? Feckin typical of my luck, World Cup and I can't watch it!
Old 06 June 2002, 09:42 AM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

OK Mr Sky has just been round

Straight away says it's the trees. Checks out dish, no it hasn't moved. Says both dish and digibox are fine. Problem is mine not theirs. He was willing to take it out there and then and call it quits.

Although he did give me advice on which branches may be causing the problem, so I'll need to find a mate with a ladder and a saw.

Said no to installing a bigger dish. Said it wouldn't help.