Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Heated bedding experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2014, 05:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated bedding experiences

Ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of the year, and I'm interested in your experiences of electrically heated under-blankets, over-blankets, heated duvets etc. I personally have a good under-blanket, but I don't mind buying an 'over' one for extra warmth. I'm also looking for a good quality one for my 22 YO kid's double bed. For her, I want the one that automatically cuts off (mine does) but even safer than mine. I unplug mine before entering my bed and never leave it on 'all night' setting. What if it electrocutes me, you see.

Even with 'all night' setting option and automatic cut off feature, in the manual, it still says that one MUST disconnect it from the electric socket. That's weirdly contradictory, and I take no chances.

Anyway, first of all, tell me about yours to enlighten me. I'm particularly interested in over- blankets and electric duvet experiences. Never had one myself, so I need to know if it's worth asking Santa for one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10 November 2014, 06:25 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I had a hot water bottle as a kid, our house had no central heating until I was about 13.
Old 10 November 2014, 06:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Stone cold duvet for me.

I like to heat it up myself, pyjamas less.

Girlfriend sees it different though
Old 10 November 2014, 06:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I had a hot water bottle as a kid, our house had no central heating until I was about 13.
You'll be back there, if you don't take out a mortgage
Old 10 November 2014, 07:21 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I wasn't even acquainted to the concept of central heating before the age of 22 when I came to live in the UK. Some may say- "Bloody migrants! They didn't even know what central heating was, and now they're scrounging our share of heating!". Believe me, that's not the case. I didn't have central heating in India because you don't need it there. K did have electric fans, coolers and ACs with courtesy of my parents.

There are thousands of years old historic evidences in India that were unearthed a long while ago. Such evidences contain central cooling as well as central hot water system in a form of wall/floor embedded web of pipes. There were some damn good plumbers even that time around. Their math and measures were amazing!

About hot water bottle, I still have to have them as well.

Do you use electrically heated bedding now?
Old 10 November 2014, 10:00 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I thought you could get over blankets that could be left on all night as this was what they were designed for - mind you I never had one lol.
Old 10 November 2014, 10:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I thought you could get over blankets that could be left on all night as this was what they were designed for - mind you I never had one lol.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I also thought that as SN is quite populated with comfort loving people e.g. they're talking steam mop because they can't be asked (spelling version) with lifting their finger for a manual, good enough regular mop. So that's why I expected that most peeps here must be living extra cozily under or above their heated bedding. Let's see if the privileged ones respond, unless they aren't bothered about getting warm. All their money could be going towards either coffee machine, steam mop or scooby modifications, which is understandable.

It's also possible that they have expensive under floor heating, and their roof is heated as well. In that case, again, I do understand.

BTW, never buy the 'foot warmth only' under-blanket. It's shoite. Also, don't buy the ones they're selling in Tesco for, I think, 20 quid. It looks from war time with the underwires as thick as your gutter pole, and it doesn't say that it has the automatic safety cut off provision.
Old 10 November 2014, 10:42 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Duvet, pair of drawers, radiator in bed room off, if there's one thing I bloody hate is wakening up through the night too hot!

A decent duvet and you shouldent need electric blankets.
Old 11 November 2014, 01:45 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

My granny had one. It smelled funny.
Old 11 November 2014, 01:52 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

One of my grannies smelled funny.
Old 11 November 2014, 02:17 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Granny fanny?
Old 11 November 2014, 02:24 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

It was very thick and heavy. Threadbare around the edges,. I think it was from rubbing it on the headboard.
Old 11 November 2014, 02:24 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Stone cold duvet for me.
Originally Posted by RA Dunk
A decent duvet and you shouldent need electric blankets.
^^ This, this and this ^^
Old 11 November 2014, 02:36 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

dutch oven ?
Old 11 November 2014, 02:41 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I react to temperature change, does anyone suffer from 'Persistent non-allergic Rhinitis?'
Old 11 November 2014, 02:55 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I get allergic Rhinitis. It's not persistent. I'm now on some anti-histamine a day. Life-saver for me. Cat's hairs are non issue for me now. I have to say that I still do react to temp. change, but that's because heat lets fibre flying around, not because of heat itself. May be I do, but that's secondary to having a warm and comfy bed.

FAO granny brigade: Electric bedding isn't just for grannies, you numpties. It's for people that like to make their life more comfortable. If you're so wellard, you must be cave dwellers.
Old 11 November 2014, 03:01 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
One of my grannies smelled funny.
How many grannies did you have, Jimbo? I only had two, and one of them did stink a bit. I still miss her. She always used to say- "Take care, Manu' whenever any of us grandchildren went out of the house for anything. Manu meant child for her. I used to get annoyed with that, then. But I do miss her very much now, minus the stink.

I'm just pleased she wasn't dpb's gran or he would have killed himself after hearing "Take care" all the time from her.

Last edited by Turbohot; 11 November 2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11 November 2014, 03:19 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I get allergic Rhinitis. It's not persistent. I'm now on some anti-histamine a day. Life-saver for me. Cat's hairs are non issue for me now. I have to say that I still do react to temp. change, but that's because heat lets fibre flying around, not because of heat itself. May be I do, but that's secondary to having a warm and comfy bed.

FAO granny brigade: Electric bedding isn't just for grannies, you numpties. It's for people that like to make their life more comfortable. If you're so wellard, you must be cave dwellers.
I'm always ok around the cats, but as soon as I venture into the cold kitchen that has no radiators I sneeze like a good-un for around 1 hour and my eyes get sore. Sometimes the end of my nose gets extremely itchy.

They say there is no full relief for the persistent non-allergic Rhinitis save for steroid nasal spray but anti-histamines do seem to alleviate my symptoms.

It's awful tbh and temp variations as little as 3c can fire it off.
Old 11 November 2014, 03:56 PM
AWDsu
Scooby Regular

Ever thought about a water bed ????
they have heaters all year round. Adjustable. And safe i think.
we have a superKing size waterbed , and its great, and unlike conventional beds,doesnt get bedbugs and will last beyond the ten year life expectancy of a regular.
most infact come from AustraLIA or usa , but i think they are great and economical to run. Just make sure that Mrs is a similar weight to yourself, otherwise you get an immbalance (someone bottoms out to the base),in these cases you need to overfill with more water. im not selling them , but they are available all over. chek em out. !
Old 11 November 2014, 03:58 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

How many grannies did you have, Jimbo? I only had two, and one of them did stink a bit. I still miss her. She always used to say- "Take care, Manu' whenever any of us grandchildren went out of the house for anything. Manu meant child for her. I used to get annoyed with that, then. But I do miss her very much now, minus the stink.

I'm just pleased she wasn't dpb's gran or he would have killed himself after hearing "Take care" all the time from her.
I had two grannies, too. It was a little unfair of me to have described one of them as smelling "funny"; dusty would be closer to the truth, I think. She had an undiagnosed (until very late) thyroid problem. Challenging women. My maternal grandmother was lovely in almost every way.
Old 11 November 2014, 05:00 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I had two grannies, too. It was a little unfair of me to have described one of them as smelling "funny"; dusty would be closer to the truth, I think. She had an undiagnosed (until very late) thyroid problem. Challenging women. My maternal grandmother was lovely in almost every way.

Ok. My stinking one ended up with cancer and died of it at her 67. She actually stank of ghee. She volunteered at the temple making prashaad for Lord Krishna, you see. That made her permanently stink of ghee. I didn't like it, because I was/am permanently health freak and ghee gets my goat bleating. Both of mine were great in their own ways.
Old 11 November 2014, 05:03 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AWDsu
Ever thought about a water bed ????
they have heaters all year round. Adjustable. And safe i think.
we have a superKing size waterbed , and its great, and unlike conventional beds,doesnt get bedbugs and will last beyond the ten year life expectancy of a regular.
most infact come from AustraLIA or usa , but i think they are great and economical to run. Just make sure that Mrs is a similar weight to yourself, otherwise you get an immbalance (someone bottoms out to the base),in these cases you need to overfill with more water. im not selling them , but they are available all over. chek em out. !
I don't have a missus, because I'm straight. However, waterbeds freak me out. What if they puncture and I drown? I'm 9 stone now. I think I should be ok weight wise.
Old 11 November 2014, 06:09 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

We got a cheapy electric blanket some years ago. Not quite cold enough yet, but I find getting into a cold bed is one of the worst things ever. I put mine on whilst I jump
In the shower and 10 minutes after getting into bed it goes off as it's lovely and warm and toasty.
Old 11 November 2014, 07:39 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Swati, I don't understand. Are you using these things because the house is cold?
Old 11 November 2014, 10:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Swati, I don't understand. Are you using these things because the house is cold?
Ding, I keep the house adequately warm with central heating, but even then, I find that the bed's much more comfortable if it's extra warmed with an under-blanket. My inquiry about 'over' ones relate to me feeling extra cold, because I just do. Winter and I don't mix extremely well. That's why I'm after the advice on buying some safe and best performing electrically heated bedding, and also want to know how others find them in their experience.

Even if the house is warmed up to desired and recommended temperature for winter, bedding can feel cold when you try to get into it, like Kwik says above. I also have double glazing to keep the heat in, but even then I like to have extra heated bedding for cozy feel. It feels great when you get into it, and you sleep like a log once you're in it. My cats have also got their individual heated pads to sleep on. They still like to sleep on our heated beds, mind.

Last edited by Turbohot; 11 November 2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12 November 2014, 10:12 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Fair enough. I'm the opposite, I like to feel 'cool' in bed.
Old 12 November 2014, 04:00 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Fair enough. I'm the opposite, I like to feel 'cool' in bed.

I like to feel cool everywhere , it's just that feeling cold gets me going brrrr......

Old 12 November 2014, 04:01 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FFS I can't believe this thread.
Fooking electric blankets !!!!!!!!!
I slept with my nan until I was 8 , with a **** pot under the bed .
Central heating ????????
A bath in the kitchen - full of coal !
I don't think I had a bath until I was 18 - and that was with my nan !
Old 12 November 2014, 05:42 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
FFS I can't believe this thread.
Fooking electric blankets !!!!!!!!!
I slept with my nan until I was 8 , with a **** pot under the bed .
Central heating ????????
A bath in the kitchen - full of coal !
I don't think I had a bath until I was 18 - and that was with my nan !
Your nan must of been fit if you used to bathe with her at 18
Old 12 November 2014, 06:25 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Do you use electrically heated bedding now?
No I just run a small electric heater if it is very cold. I'm at home less than half the year so the cost doesn't bother me.

Quick Reply: Heated bedding experiences