Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Capital FM (warning - rant alert)

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2014, 08:02 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capital FM (warning - rant alert)

I've been working in a house for the last few days with a builder who has 'Capital FM' on his radio, very loud. He's 53.

I like to think I have a reasonably broad musical taste, but I have to say I've been driven almost completely insane by the dreadful, electronically processed, soundalike talent-vacuum tripe broadcast by that station.

The only thing I can imagine that would have been slightly worse was if it was Country & Western FM, and to be honest, that might actually have been better.

I can't begin to imagine who on earth C-rapital FM is aimed at, because it certainly isn't human beings.

Does anyone actually like it?

Mind you, there is one good bit and that's the competition, the second prize of which is to win two tickets to see Dustbin Timberache (I believe that's the name) in New York. First prize is you don't win the tickets.

Am I simply too old, and why would a 53 year old builder want to listen to it?

Incoming...!
Old 02 October 2014, 08:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Laser558
Old 02 October 2014, 08:19 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They only have 4 songs in their playlist anyway
Old 02 October 2014, 08:41 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Ah, I thought perhaps it was something like that, although I can only hear two (a 'ballad' and a more upbeat, er, number).
Old 02 October 2014, 08:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't knock country and western

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 02 October 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02 October 2014, 08:46 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked on a building site during my student gap year (a few years ago now) and the builder (not a guy to mess with) told one of the sparks to turn his radio off as it was annoying both him and the householder. He took no notice and last saw his radio being bounced down the road on a piece of rope behind the builder's Toyota Landcruiser. You could try that.
Old 02 October 2014, 09:14 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I did tell him I usually listen to either Radio Four or Three, but he ignored me. Perhaps listening to all that cack has made him deaf.

As to C&W, I'm of the (jazz drummer) Buddy Rich school of thought about that. Reputedly, on his death bed, he was asked 'does anything hurt?' and he replied 'only Country & Western'....

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2014, 09:19 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
I worked on a building site during my student gap year (a few years ago now) and the builder (not a guy to mess with) told one of the sparks to turn his radio off as it was annoying both him and the householder. He took no notice and last saw his radio being bounced down the road on a piece of rope behind the builder's Toyota Landcruiser. You could try that.
Hopefully it wasn't one of those expensive Makita (or other high end tool brand) radios that most tradesmen have these days!
Old 02 October 2014, 09:19 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I have to say at 42 I enjoy listening to it, but maybe the regional shows are slightly different as I only listen in the morning and evening on the way home from work - the other options of local radio are not as good.

I am guessing it's personal taste, if you like Jessie J or Rhianna, Rita Ora, etc then Capital all the way lol.
Old 02 October 2014, 09:25 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Lol, I like most music, from C&W through Barry Manilow, to Barbara streisand, via the Bee gees (simply awsome) to the Jam/style council Bowie ( Young Americans prob my fave album) - northern soul, soul, disco, house (hard, happy transandental) rap, soft rock, (supertramp and sad cafe) pop punk - "give m enough rope" was my first album and even some heavy metal (Motörhead, rainbow)

But Jazz (along side the hurt that is drum and bass) is the most soul destroying music in the world

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 02 October 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02 October 2014, 09:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I'll listen to most stuff, but the junk CRapital FM play is just inane drivel and an afront to decent music.

My kids are always changing the car radio to it - slapped hands time!

It's the ****tiest station there is, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by zip106; 02 October 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03 October 2014, 09:01 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mart360
Laser558
Laser fünf fünf acht

That is a memory I've just plucked from childhood, do they still say that
Old 03 October 2014, 09:06 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Try Radio 1.......NOT.

Female DJ's, (if ever there was an oxymoron, that's it), inane drivel, no idea who their audience is...and they don't care because we have to pay them anyway.

Old 03 October 2014, 11:39 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Kiss FM FTW.
Old 03 October 2014, 12:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Picked up a little Dony DAB radio for the kitchen as I'm not a big fan of any FM station to be honest.

Absolute 90's is brilliant! Everything from Indie and Brit Pop to Oldskool and Hip-hop.

The 90's was my musical era so finding this when I'm pottering about was a godsend over having to Bluetooth internet stations through my phone on a portable speaker.

When Capital was Galaxy (I'm taking circa 1999-2002), it was brilliant for college students into clubbing like me. Live broadcasts from nights like Godskitcheb, Gatecrasher, a Passion etc. made not being old enough to be there bearable. Same with Radio 1 and the essential mixes live. Superb stuff.
Old 03 October 2014, 01:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Heart FM...Grrr

Captial FM...Annoying (Galaxy FM was ok, before it went too Hip-hoppy )

Kerrang...ok....replaced by Planet Rock which sucks big style (I'd like some rock from this century, please....but not Nickelback).

Radio 2...If you shoot Ken Bruce and Steve Wright and did more song requests instead of repetative playlists it maybe OK.

Radio 1....makes me feel old

Free FM...good god. That is THE worst station ever. More inane DJ babble than all the above coupled with loads of adverts and the most overly repeated playlists I've ever heard. Bring back the old local stations

Currengtly listening to Signal 107 which is the least irritating of all teh above as of yet.

Really need to setup internet radio in the workshop - got a FM transmitter which I keep meaning to hook up to a PC....But retuning the radio involves climbing a ladder to change the memory presets on the old Beo-centre (B&O ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 October 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03 October 2014, 02:06 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

I like Absolute FM (various) and Radio 6. Absolute FM's no repeat guarantee doesn't extend to repeatedly mentioning it's no repeat guarantee though. Small gripe for such 90s classics such as Haddaway and 2Unlimited.
Old 03 October 2014, 02:10 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Agree, Absolute 80's or 90's is pretty good on DAB.
Old 03 October 2014, 02:18 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Only allowed Absolute 80s and XFM in Chateau GoodMeat.
Old 03 October 2014, 03:29 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Theres nothing more personal than musical taste. I work in a factory and in the 90's each work group had a ghetto blaster, separates system etc now we are a pretty diverse lot with just about every race, colour, creed and ethnicity you can think of.
The rows over what music was being played were epic. Plugs cut off, vanadlised sound systems etc.
I saw one bloke fill the Asian sides cassette player with custard, if they had caught him......
And yeah, I agree Capital, Radio 1 and **** fm are ****e.
Old 03 October 2014, 04:16 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Laser fünf fünf acht

That is a memory I've just plucked from childhood, do they still say that
Beat me to it!

Also, who remembers that 'little kid' jingle:-

# Radio Caro'liiiiine, m'wioaaah # Ah, the memories.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 October 2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03 October 2014, 05:45 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Beat me to it!

Also, who remembers that 'little kid' jingle:-

# Radio Caro'liiiiine, m'wioaaah # Ah, the memories.

Actually we should pay homage to the most well know radio station of your yoofs

Radio luxembourg

Mart
Old 03 October 2014, 09:11 PM
JJTurbo
Scooby Regular

I have capital on in the car , and recently it's getting repetitive with some fat gayer called Sam Smith & that ginger lad , forget his name. But every hour the same songs.. makes me turn off
Old 04 October 2014, 12:28 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
Kiss FM FTW.
Definitely, especially Kisstory
Old 04 October 2014, 05:05 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Heart FM...Grrr

Captial FM...Annoying (Galaxy FM was ok, before it went too Hip-hoppy )

Kerrang...ok....replaced by Planet Rock which sucks big style (I'd like some rock from this century, please....but not Nickelback).

Radio 2...If you shoot Ken Bruce and Steve Wright and did more song requests instead of repetative playlists it maybe OK.

Radio 1....makes me feel old

Free FM...good god. That is THE worst station ever. More inane DJ babble than all the above coupled with loads of adverts and the most overly repeated playlists I've ever heard. Bring back the old local stations

Currengtly listening to Signal 107 which is the least irritating of all teh above as of yet.

Really need to setup internet radio in the workshop - got a FM transmitter which I keep meaning to hook up to a PC....But retuning the radio involves climbing a ladder to change the memory presets on the old Beo-centre (B&O ).

Kerrang was brilliant in the early years,Tim Shaw,the asylum ...why did planetrock take over ?
Old 04 October 2014, 06:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't know. I think it's owner's reckoned its aimed target audience could listen to it via other means (online) and they thought that pensioner-rock would be more suited to national FM broadcast.

London DJ's and most of its shyte from the 70's. Now don't get me wrong, I love a bit of Led Zep (Claim to fame: Bob's son...Logan married a girl I went to school with ), but playing any old random shyte just because its "from that era" to me just sounds like noise. And I'm sure Mr Plant would prefer have to some hof is new stuff played too. There's almost six decades worth of rock anthems to chose from and they just play noise. What a waste.

Kerrang: Some epic sarcasm/**** taking there: Just have to say *** Holder and Slippy knickers, nothing else needs mentioning

BRMB way back when (2001 ish? ) used to have a slot with a Sid James type of guy with certain lewd tales (Dirty Derick, or something like that), I'm going to have to have a google to find it...

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 October 2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04 October 2014, 07:04 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Don't know. I think it's owner's reckoned its aimed target audience could listen to it via other means (online) and they thought that pensioner-rock would be more suited to national FM broadcast.

London DJ's and most of its shyte from the 70's. Now don't get me wrong, I love a bit of Led Zep (Claim to fame: Bob's son...Logan married a girl I went to school with ), but playing any old random shyte just because its "from that era" to me just sounds like noise. And I'm sure Mr Plant would prefer have to some hof is new stuff played too. There's almost six decades worth of rock anthems to chose from and they just play noise. What a waste.

Kerrang: Some epic sarcasm/**** taking there: Just have to say *** Holder and Slippy knickers, nothing else needs mentioning

BRMB way back when (2001 ish? ) used to have a slot with a Sid James type of guy with certain lewd tales (Dirty Derick, or something like that), I'm going to have to have a google to find it...

BRMB has gone to,the walkathon I remember that.
Old 05 October 2014, 07:47 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

In my van, I listen to, in order, Radio 4, Radio 3 (but only if whatever they're playing was written before about 1750), or nothing.

I hate distractions when I'm working. I'd have got loads more done on the job last week if it wasn't for that ghastly abomination blaring out (bearing in mind I like The Fall, that's some statement). The customer is away, but they're paying me by the hour and I feel quite bad about it.
Old 05 October 2014, 08:35 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Capital Fm (formally known as Galaxy) is a perfect representation of the moronic Facebook generation, which I refuse to be a part of.
As stated above they only have half a dozen songs, all of which sound very much alike. Oh and they are rubbish.
The oxygen thieves that "present" the show constantly talk rubbish, ending every sentence with"txt in" or "get on your social media"
In my van I listen to radio 2, or local radio depending on where I am working.