Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurers: still playing games.

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2014, 01:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Insurers: still playing games.

Just had my quote through for 2014/5 for the Astra, (1.9 CDTi SRi X-pack), at £184 from my present insurer, Privilege.

I wondered why it had increased by FAR more than the rate of inflation, so went on "Compare the Market".

And sure enough, it came back with better....but only £159 from the SAME INSURER!!!

So I ring them......and yes, they will match their internet quote, (good of them), but not the best quote of £150.35.

So I ring the best quote. And I find that not only is it better by £10 than my present insurers' quote, but that I get up to 90 days abroad on fully comp for no extra....Privilege asked me for £100 extra for 60 days in the summer...almost 2/3 of the year's policy cost for two months abroad

It does pay to shop around.

And while I was there I've switched energy suppliers and saved over £400 a year too.

About the only guy I've found that DOESN'T play these games is Moley off here.

What the hell does it benefit them to have folk keep changing their insurer???????
Old 05 September 2014, 01:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

the only insurer I've found that is consistant with pricing is Footman James...the Jag costs roughly the same year in year out.

Although its not all plain sailing......they keep asking for independantly verified valuations, photos and they keep losing the wheels on the modifictiosn list....which could be a major issue as they are BBS Milans and would cost almost as much as the car to purchase new
Old 05 September 2014, 01:53 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same experience with Privilege - £260 last year became £380 this year for the Merc. Reason? 3 points picked up on the M6. Went on Go-compare - £169 with General Accident. Renewal prices for the other cars, including the Subaru - (none with Privilege) - all went down this year. I'll never go near Privilege again.
Old 05 September 2014, 09:05 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been with A-plan for 9 years £340 this year, Churchill £220 like for like quotes?
Old 05 September 2014, 09:23 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I looked at changing my insurance

Got competitive "quotes" but the savings were only in the region of 80 odd quid

Just did not seem worth the hassle tbh,
Old 05 September 2014, 09:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Change every year, to avoid being shafted
Old 05 September 2014, 09:33 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
+ 1

Trending Topics

Old 05 September 2014, 09:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I looked at changing my insurance

Got competitive "quotes" but the savings were only in the region of 80 odd quid

Just did not seem worth the hassle tbh,
No hassle. Do it online.
Surely the £80 is better in your pocket than theirs? Save it and give it to charity if it means so little?
Old 05 September 2014, 10:21 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find any better deals on my TV licence this year.
Old 06 September 2014, 08:53 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by alcazar
No hassle. Do it online.
Surely the £80 is better in your pocket than theirs? Save it and give it to charity if it means so little?
This.

The only reason I'll sometimes not go with the very cheapest quote is if I get good customer service from a slightly more expensive option.

Again, Moley is top of the list. After swapping my Polo TDI for a BMW 330D, my quote went down £50 from the previous year (fault accident - write off). Still protected NCB etc. too. Maybe or maybe not, a search for an hour or two could've saved me £10-20, but again for the risk of crapp customer service... Gazza gets my service.
Old 06 September 2014, 09:12 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

It's not the price that bothers me so much these days, it's the staggering ineptitude of insurance brokers across the board when it comes to accurately recording information.

You'd think that, after asking detailed questions about required usage, modifications, incidents, dates, times, mileage and the rest, that they'd actually complete the proposal form correctly - right? After all, if these things actually matter to insurers at all, then they'll affect the premium, and if they don't, then there's no reason to ask about them in the first place.

Yet, despite the fact that I typically insure three vehicles every year, I can't remember a single occasion when I've not had to call a broker straight back once the paperwork comes through to correct the stupid mistakes they've made. I've even had the cheeky buggers try to charge me extra because they failed to tick certain boxes, and I've suddenly found I'm not covered for commuting or business use after all.
Old 06 September 2014, 09:28 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Same here, very rarely do I ever continue with the same insurer two years running. It's the biggest legal con ever!!
Old 06 September 2014, 11:12 AM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zip106
I can't seem to find any better deals on my TV licence this year.
Old 06 September 2014, 12:10 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I changed insurers as I routinely go with whoever offers the best value (not cheapest btw). I found company who were £40 less than my renewal, and who were local. I thought it would be a good idea to support the local business. I am finding to my cost that this was a big mistake.

They will not accept the proof of no claims discount offered from my previous insurer as they claim it is incomplete. They allege it can not be accepted because it doesn't specifically list any accidents or claims, neither does it state that there have been none (I have never had an insurance claim other than for a windscreen). It doesn't state the full make and model of my vehilce on there either. I offered them the proof of no claims discount in place for my impreza which is presently sorn, they refused to take that, as they claim it must be earned on the same vehicle you are insuring - this would imply if you sell one vehicle after its policy has lapsed, and try to inure a new vehicle with them, your NCD can not be valid!

They want copies of both parts of my driving licence and the same for all named drivers. Having redacted the detail they dont need (photographs and signatures) and watermarked the scanned documents with a statement reading "COPY - FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES ONLY - 2/09/14" they are claiming it is not a valid replica of my license.

They also want proof of residence for a 3 year period. The fact that my license was issued 8 years ago to my current address is not proof of residence in their eyes. they want utility bills, bank statments or payslips to validate this.

Interestingly they did not point any of this out clearly at the point where I made payment and the contract was formed, otherwise I would have avoided the inconvenience by going elsewhere. The only reference is a genreic line on the 16th page of the policy wording where it states the insurer may request supporting documents when requried. I interpreted this as in the event of a claim, evidence would be needed to prove the car was MOT'd, copy of a license etc They have also waited until the cooling off period has passed to make their requests for these documents.

I have recieved a letter this morning sent a letter via recorded delivery, adivisng that unless I comply with their requirements in full by Friday they will force cancel the policy. Their letter advises they also want a copy of my MOT certificate and details of any period this vehicle has been SORN while in my ownership!!!

In over 20 years of owning and insuring my own cars, I have never encountered nonsense like this.

For the benefit of the few NI resident posters on here, if you are considering using McClartys Insurance, trading as EasyInsure - I would suggest you don't. The hassle really isn't worth the small saving.
Old 06 September 2014, 12:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I changed insurers as I routinely go with whoever offers the best value (not cheapest btw). I found company who were £40 less than my renewal, and who were local. I thought it would be a good idea to support the local business. I am finding to my cost that this was a big mistake.

They will not accept the proof of no claims discount offered from my previous insurer as they claim it is incomplete. They allege it can not be accepted because it doesn't specifically list any accidents or claims, neither does it state that there have been none (I have never had an insurance claim other than for a windscreen). It doesn't state the full make and model of my vehilce on there either. I offered them the proof of no claims discount in place for my impreza which is presently sorn, they refused to take that, as they claim it must be earned on the same vehicle you are insuring - this would imply if you sell one vehicle after its policy has lapsed, and try to inure a new vehicle with them, your NCD can not be valid!

They want copies of both parts of my driving licence and the same for all named drivers. Having redacted the detail they dont need (photographs and signatures) and watermarked the scanned documents with a statement reading "COPY - FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES ONLY - 2/09/14" they are claiming it is not a valid replica of my license.

They also want proof of residence for a 3 year period. The fact that my license was issued 8 years ago to my current address is not proof of residence in their eyes. they want utility bills, bank statments or payslips to validate this.

Interestingly they did not point any of this out clearly at the point where I made payment and the contract was formed, otherwise I would have avoided the inconvenience by going elsewhere. The only reference is a genreic line on the 16th page of the policy wording where it states the insurer may request supporting documents when requried. I interpreted this as in the event of a claim, evidence would be needed to prove the car was MOT'd, copy of a license etc They have also waited until the cooling off period has passed to make their requests for these documents.

I have recieved a letter this morning sent a letter via recorded delivery, adivisng that unless I comply with their requirements in full by Friday they will force cancel the policy. Their letter advises they also want a copy of my MOT certificate and details of any period this vehicle has been SORN while in my ownership!!!

In over 20 years of owning and insuring my own cars, I have never encountered nonsense like this.

For the benefit of the few NI resident posters on here, if you are considering using McClartys Insurance, trading as EasyInsure - I would suggest you don't. The hassle really isn't worth the small saving.

^^^ the prospect of this, to me, personally simply not worth it for £80
Old 06 September 2014, 01:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I've stuck with LV for many years and price and customer service is excellent. Ring them they are in Bournemouth.

To OP. For energy try ExtraEnergy who were by far the best for my region.

dl

Must be nice to forego £80 for the sake of a couple of phone calls
Old 06 September 2014, 01:30 PM
TurboFreak
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone who does not shop around with a few phone calls is a mug.

Insurers, banks, gas/electricity suppliers they will all rip us off if we are too dumb and lazy to bother checking out the market.
Old 08 September 2014, 04:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

ExtraEnergy are who I'm going with, thanks.
Old 08 September 2014, 07:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I've stuck with LV for many years and price and customer service is excellent. Ring them they are in Bournemouth.

To OP. For energy try ExtraEnergy who were by far the best for my region.

dl

Must be nice to forego £80 for the sake of a couple of phone calls
But it never is just a couple of phone calls is it, if it was would do it

In fact last week I rang Santander to get some bank charges credited back, about 60 quid and on the phone 15 mins - good use of my time

80 quid for a couple of hours, going thru the policy to make sure it is like for like on the existing one, checking the small print for exclusions, going online to check feedback on the company, do they pay out, how easy are they to deal with if you have a claim etc etc, - you know doing all the due dilligence etc

Or do people simply take a punt on the best price without doing all the above??

Sorry I can't help it if people value their time so little but there it is, I do

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 08 September 2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09 September 2014, 12:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

But it never is just a couple of phone calls is it, if it was would do it

In fact last week I rang Santander to get some bank charges credited back, about 60 quid and on the phone 15 mins - good use of my time

80 quid for a couple of hours, going thru the policy to make sure it is like for like on the existing one, checking the small print for exclusions, going online to check feedback on the company, do they pay out, how easy are they to deal with if you have a claim etc etc, - you know doing all the due dilligence etc

Or do people simply take a punt on the best price without doing all the above??

Sorry I can't help it if people value their time so little but there it is, I do
Certainly the Compare.com on-line stuff with 5 pages of bollox to fill in drives me mad especially when you get to the last page and are told you are not eligible for some reason.

I just stay with LV who do offer good prices and just make a phone call if I want any changes like having my son added for a week when he visits us from overseas..

Perhaps you have a dodgy track record Hodgy

dl
Old 09 September 2014, 12:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Perhaps you have a dodgy track record Hodgy

dl
or I earn more than £80 an hour
Old 09 September 2014, 12:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

or I earn more than £80 an hour
I am sure you do. It takes me a day or two to earn £80

dl
Old 09 September 2014, 05:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I just ask the meerkats...it's worked for me so far.