Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Good hotel country pub near Heathrow ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2014, 06:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Good hotel country pub near Heathrow ?

Can anyone recommend a good country pub with hotel option about 60 miles north of Heathrow, the airline has cancelled my Manchester flight and my only other alternative with them is Heathrow.

I'm driving from Newcastle so I want to book a good place for one day on the way there and the way back.

I'm not bothered where it is as long as it gives me a little drive home and I would prefer not to stay in a normal hotel as I want to eat and drink there for a normal night.
Old 05 September 2014, 10:12 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not near Heathrow, but not so far off "the 60 miles from Heathrow" criteria and will, of course, depend on the route you take from Newcastle, but if you go the A1M route then we have often stayed at this place on the way to rellies in Humberside . A nice old coaching Inn in a the high street of a pretty little village off the main road.

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our...haycock-hotel/
Old 05 September 2014, 02:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

That looks nice, what was the food like there?
Old 05 September 2014, 04:17 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Food was good. Excellent buffet brekkie.

We've stayed there 4 or 5 times over the years, although not for around 2 years now.. Big car park around the back and a mix of rooms - big old characterful ones with the wonky floors that comes with several hundred years of age in the front part of the building, and then a newer block at the back/ down the side (around a sort of a quadrangle with an outside restaurant / drinks service on warm evenings) where there are new exec type ones with patio doors next to the river / by the restaurant. We've also stayed in the one shown in the gallery with the high raised section for the bed and sofa beds down below for the kids. That was a great room except for the fact that it backs on to the kitchens so that had extractor fan noise when the kitchens were working. It was summer so we had all the windows open. Other wise all rooms very quiet, good beds, nice bar