Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2014, 01:08 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons will not be learnt/learned *

Cameron warns of possible IS threat to UK

Originally Posted by Cameron
We need a firm security response, whether that is military action to go after the terrorists, international co-operation on intelligence and counter-terrorism or uncompromising action against terrorists at home
We're in this mess because we so called 'went after the terrorists' last time.

FFS can someone not tell him that this approach does not work!!!!

* Title edits: delete which ever one you think is wrong

Last edited by f1_fan; 17 August 2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Grammar debate!
Old 17 August 2014, 05:45 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Cameron warns of possible IS threat to UK

We're in this mess because we so called 'went after the terrorists' last time.

FFS can someone not tell him that this approach does not work!!!!
Give them no reason to be a threat and they won't be, start ******* around with them and they will be. We should already know this.

This is another reason I'll be going with a Yes vote, hopefully our lot won't go sticking their noses into other's countries affairs.
Old 17 August 2014, 05:50 AM
Kevmc76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Give them no reason to be a threat and they won't be, start ******* around with them and they will be. We should already know this.

This is another reason I'll be going with a Yes vote, hopefully our lot won't go sticking their noses into other's countries affairs.
Sounds like a yes from me too
Old 17 August 2014, 08:20 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like appeasement to me, history is littered with failed attempts at this approach.
Old 17 August 2014, 08:27 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Whilst I agree somewhat with your sentiments, isn't it that some of these so called Jihadists (IS in particular) just want the world to be an Islamic state ruled by Sharia.

Whether any country has given them a reason or not they still want to take over?

Whilst I'm anti religion / anti war, I really think they need to be stopped.
Old 17 August 2014, 10:40 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Whilst I agree somewhat with your sentiments, isn't it that some of these so called Jihadists (IS in particular) just want the world to be an Islamic state ruled by Sharia.

Whether any country has given them a reason or not they still want to take over?

Whilst I'm anti religion / anti war, I really think they need to be stopped.
I think there is some truth in this. We never invaded Egypt, yet look at the mess there. Hamas has grown on it's own. Syria has developed without any interference.
Old 17 August 2014, 10:51 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a threat/war against humanity,one religion to rule all.
And any of the 400 who are leaving the UK to go and take sides and are identified,shouldn't be allowed to return to the country,passports gone and family deported.
It's about time the politicians stopped arsing around with the softly approach and being all PC,human rights,started putting some stick about..
Old 17 August 2014, 10:52 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Learnt
Old 17 August 2014, 10:57 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Learnt
You know what.... I wrestled with that very dilemma when writing it in the early hours, but couldn't decide which was right.

In the cold light of day I think you are right as it is like the verb to dream, learnt is the past tense and learned the past participle.

Off to change it.
Old 17 August 2014, 11:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How did you manage that

You must be in with the management
Old 17 August 2014, 11:06 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
How did you manage that

You must be in with the management
Edit the post and click the Go advanced button then you can change the title.

Still not 100% sure on the learnt/learned thing as I think American English may also be involved somewhere. Will be interesting to see it written in the press and see what they use, not that that is any barometer of grammar these days of course.
Old 17 August 2014, 11:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I'm applying to become Scottish so I can vote Yes... that should be the Yes vote's biggest campaign point. A giant picture of Cameron and Osborne and the caption "Vote Yes to get rid of these two from your lives, neither of whom appear to know where Scotland is"
Old 17 August 2014, 11:46 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

You know what.... I wrestled with that very dilemma when writing it in the early hours, but couldn't decide which was right.

In the cold light of day I think you are right as it is like the verb to dream, learnt is the past tense and learned the past participle.

Off to change it.
Nope, you have these exactly back to front. A past participle is the component of a verb that might be used in the form "he has <verb(ed)>", or as is in your title, "it will be <verb(ed)>". A straight past tense would be "he <verb(ed)>". A nice unambiguous example is the verb "to do", where the past tense and past participle are completely and obviously different ("they did", "it will be done").

Here endeth the lesson

ps
I'm also in the IS must be stopped camp.
Old 17 August 2014, 12:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Nope, you have these exactly back to front. A past participle is the component of a verb that might be used in the form "he has <verb(ed)>", or as is in your title, "it will be <verb(ed)>". A straight past tense would be "he <verb(ed)>". A nice unambiguous example is the verb "to do", where the past tense and past participle are completely and obviously different ("they did", "it will be done").

Here endeth the lesson .
Yeah I just took a straw poll on historical media articles and they are about 75/25 leaning towards lessons will be learned

Thinking of dream which is a similar verb.

Past tense

Last week dreamt I was in space.

vs.

Past participle

I have often dreamed of being a racing car driver.

The question is which is in use in the title... and I think it probably should be lessons will be learned as we are in the present or even future tense.

Anyway have edited for both parties
Old 17 August 2014, 12:06 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Back to the subject matter. I think we all agree that IS must be stopped. The issue is how. Remember how at one time it was Saddam must be stopped. Well this is happening now because we had no credible plan as to what would happen after Saddam was removed militarily from power hence the current situation.

The steaming in with troops, planes and tanks approach may tickle Cameron's fancy, but I think a much more cohesive and united approach needs to be undertaken by a large number of nations and not just the US and UK as usual. The UN needs to play its part properly for once too and not just stand on the sidelines bleating about how awful it all is like they are doing now.
Old 17 August 2014, 12:55 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Back to the subject matter. I think we all agree that IS must be stopped. The issue is how. Remember how at one time it was Saddam must be stopped. Well this is happening now because we had no credible plan as to what would happen after Saddam was removed militarily from power hence the current situation.

The steaming in with troops, planes and tanks approach may tickle Cameron's fancy, but I think a much more cohesive and united approach needs to be undertaken by a large number of nations and not just the US and UK as usual. The UN needs to play its part properly for once too and not just stand on the sidelines bleating about how awful it all is like they are doing now.
Pretty much agree with this.

I don't think the West (ok, UK and US) will ever learn (see what I did there? ). UN has to take the lead, but of course it will not
Old 17 August 2014, 01:12 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Agreed, any action taken against IS has to be by a broad multinational group I.e. the UN. It can't simply be the UK/US going after them because we don't like the way things panned out.
Old 17 August 2014, 02:04 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Yeah I just took a straw poll on historical media articles and they are about 75/25 leaning towards lessons will be learned

Thinking of dream which is a similar verb.

Past tense

Last week dreamt I was in space.

vs.

Past participle

I have often dreamed of being a racing car driver.

The question is which is in use in the title... and I think it probably should be lessons will be learned as we are in the present or even future tense.

Anyway have edited for both parties
Still wrong
Correct explanation here, but if you're a purist (or a non-native student of the language who wants to know how to speak and write it properly ), this should tell you all you need to know:
http://www.e-anglais.com/ressources/to_dream.php
Old 17 August 2014, 02:17 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

+1. This should be a no-brainer, as neither Russia or China could stand up and say they have any support for IS's principles or world-view. Getting them to admit it though might be a different story.
Old 17 August 2014, 03:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Still wrong
Correct explanation here, but if you're a purist (or a non-native student of the language who wants to know how to speak and write it properly ), this should tell you all you need to know:
So you are saying they are the same, just different? That's what your lnk seems to imply.

These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. ‘Learnt’ is more common in British English, and ‘learned’ in American English.
Just asking btw as I am genuinely interested. Unlike most on the net I do try with spelling, grammar and punctuation and always happy to learn something.
Old 17 August 2014, 09:51 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

And what about sorting out the Islamist nutters at home? What do you propose for them? And these... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rotesters.html

Last edited by warrenm2; 17 August 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 18 August 2014, 08:33 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Still wrong
Well this has been an interesting little tangent.
Old 18 August 2014, 08:47 AM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

We are talking about mass genocide here. The innocent slaughter of men, women and children. There's a photo going around social media of a decapitated 3 year old girl at the hands of an ISIS fanatic. They are not interested in talking, they are barbaric and see human life as very cheap.

If not military force, then what? Diplomacy? With religious nutters that hack of the heads of children? Sorry, but bombs and bullets are the only way. Imagine that was your own 3yr old daughter, mother, father, brother? Sanction them or eradicate them? This is very different to the original wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Saddam never went around hacking the heads off children and nor did the Taliban, this is ten steps beyond that.

As for Scottish independence, bookies odds of 1/8 for a No and 9/2 for a Yes pretty much means its dead in the water. Scots don't want a breakaway

Last edited by LEO-RS; 18 August 2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 18 August 2014, 10:22 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEO-RS
We are talking about mass genocide here. The innocent slaughter of men, women and children. There's a photo going around social media of a decapitated 3 year old girl at the hands of an ISIS fanatic. They are not interested in talking, they are barbaric and see human life as very cheap.

If not military force, then what? Diplomacy? With religious nutters that hack of the heads of children? Sorry, but bombs and bullets are the only way. Imagine that was your own 3yr old daughter, mother, father, brother? Sanction them or eradicate them? This is very different to the original wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Saddam never went around hacking the heads off children and nor did the Taliban, this is ten steps beyond that.

As for Scottish independence, bookies odds of 1/8 for a No and 9/2 for a Yes pretty much means its dead in the water. Scots don't want a breakaway
You're making a fairly big assumption that this photo is real...
Old 18 August 2014, 03:49 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the West would still be considered a threat, even if we did nothing as demonstrated on September 11 2001. However, you give them an inch, they would take a mile.

On Scotland, I don't think the iScots could, even if they wanted to. It's been suggested that if Alex Salmond doesn't take his share of the national debt, then he iScotland doesn't get to keep the military assets of the Army and Navy, no guns, tanks, fighter jets and ships since the spend on this is part of the debt. iScotland's armed forces would essentially start from scratch or use old and out of date military equipment.
Old 18 August 2014, 05:05 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

So you are saying they are the same, just different? That's what your lnk seems to imply.

Just asking btw as I am genuinely interested. Unlike most on the net I do try with spelling, grammar and punctuation and always happy to learn something.
Going back to this fascinating little tangent, I'm saying one is correct British English and the other is a ghastly Americanism, which should be studiously avoided unless you have the excuse of being unfortunate enough to have grown up and learnt your English there
Old 18 August 2014, 06:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Going back to this fascinating little tangent, I'm saying one is correct British English and the other is a ghastly Americanism, which should be studiously avoided unless you have the excuse of being unfortunate enough to have grown up and learnt your English there
learned

Just kidding
Old 18 August 2014, 06:34 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Staying with the theme, when did it become acceptable to substitute certain punctuation marks with emojis?
Old 18 August 2014, 06:37 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Staying with the theme, when did it become acceptable to substitute certain punctuation marks with emojis?
Stylistic license. I find graphical emotes just don't have the same visual impact when immediately preceded by a full-stop.

Old 18 August 2014, 06:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Stylistic license. I find graphical emotes just don't have the same visual impact when immediately preceded by a full-stop.

Agreed

Quick Reply: Lessons will not be learnt/learned *