Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky Digital In Another Room ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2002, 06:25 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Currrently have Sky Digital in the lounge, but what do I need and who do I get in contact with to get it in the upstairs bedroom ? Does it cost anymore ?

I'd like to be able to change channels over without it affecting what is showing downstairs, if that makes sense (ie I don't want my folks to know I'm watching **** while they watch Animal Planet )

Thanks,

Matt

PS I'm 22 today
Old 30 May 2002, 06:38 PM
NICKBG
Scooby Regular

Matt - Happy Bday mate,

I might be wrong saying this, but if anyone else knows any different, then please correct me. The only way that you can watch a different sky channel to downstairs is to have a second decoder and a second subscription ! ie. another sky card.... You could probably run it off the same dish though. So no easy way I am affraid......

Hope this helps

Nick
Old 30 May 2002, 06:57 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Nick u are spot on

I dont think u have to pay a full months sub though its nearer £20 which is still a rip off

Dave
Old 30 May 2002, 06:57 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

i used to have a sky dish and a local aerial co put in a box for me that gave me sky to 3 outlets.

probably not in keeping with sky agreement but will they check?
Old 30 May 2002, 07:35 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

You can buy (from sky) a new decoder that allows you to watch a diffrent channel in the bedroom, but from memory it's not cheap, about £400 ?

Also you have to pay £10 pcm, again not sure of the exact figure.

Try www.sky.co.uk

We have a second remote in the bedroom with a litte reciver that works down the coax cable. We can thus watch sky in the bedroom but the same channel is on in the lounge. Cost was £40 ish, and I had to run the cable.

David
Old 30 May 2002, 10:01 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

you are correct you can get the sky+ box which allows you to watch a channel and record another, it also has tivo type feratures.

Old 30 May 2002, 10:04 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

anyone heard about this 9v battery shenanigans into the back the sky box to unlock the lot ?

a friend of a friend sort of thing is claiming he's unlocked the lot, but he's waiting with baited breath til his next bill comes in.

Old 30 May 2002, 10:07 PM
NICKBG
Scooby Regular

Tell us more !
Old 30 May 2002, 10:09 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Happy birthday Matt
Old 30 May 2002, 10:22 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

The 9v is on the second rf outlet of the sky box. Attach the 2nd RF to another tele and you can watch Sky in another room, albeit the same channel as in the main room. The 9v is so you can attach a "sky mouse" to the second tele and use the remote in that room to save walking to change channel.
Old 31 May 2002, 08:25 AM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

9v shenanigans work for a while (apparently). There's an internal spend limit in the box (£50) which if it isn't cleared will stop you booking any more films etc ? and whatever you do don't plug it back into the wall as you'll get a big bill when it uploads what you've watched.

This is what I've heard anyway.
Old 31 May 2002, 03:18 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scooby Doo

what you have said is what Shark was talking about,
you buy this mouse of sky and another remote all for 30/40 pounds, then you put your own cable in like Shark said.

But you have to watch the same channel in both rooms but no running up and down stairs changeing channel.

chel xxx
Old 31 May 2002, 03:47 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Another way of doing it is to buy a digisender. Again the problem is that you have to watch the same channel in both rooms but you don't have to run any cable and the remote control will work in the bedroom.

I bought mine from Argos for about £80 and it is excellent. Doesn't just work with SKY though you can use it on anything with a SCART socket (DVD. video etc.)
Old 31 May 2002, 05:12 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

To be able to watch another Sky channel on another TV you need another box (and another subscription...). They were doing an offer for a second matching sub for £12 a month, though don't know if that's still on - and you need a second decoder box (though you can get them quite cheap through eBay for example).

Sky+ has two tuners in it, but you can still only watch one at a time (even if you have a second TV connected to the box with SkyLink, which is the little mouse thing people refer to above), though can record a second while watching the first. Sky+ is £300, plus an extra £10 on top of your normal monthly subs.

If you buy Sky+ you get to keep the old digibox, that you can then use for a "second sub for £12" job, or even (as I've done) get a "free to air" card from the BBC that gives you all the terrestrial channels, plus a few like CBBC, CNN etc.

One of the things they do when installing Sky+ is upgrade your dish to have a "quad LNB" which basically means four outputs. Two are used for the Sky+ box, but you can use the other two to hook up another Sky+ box or two old style digiboxes....
Old 31 May 2002, 06:08 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Something I've always wondered - whats the theory behind how Sky enable a pay channel. eg. if I order sky sports on the telephone, then half and hour later it appears on my tv - how do they implement this ?

Also, why do you have to pay an additonal subscription fee for Sky+ - this is the killer for me. Sky+ is a great idea for £299 but to have to pay the additional subscription fee is OTT

-DV