Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Westminster child abuse enquiry - you couldn't make it up

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2014, 12:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Westminster child abuse enquiry - you couldn't make it up

Amidst widespread and ever further emerging claims of the mother of all cover ups of paedophile activity within Westminster in the 70s and 80s Cameron finally gave in last week and announced several enquiries.

Ears pricked up when he appointed Baroness Butler-Sloss whose brother Sir Michael Havers was attorney general in the 80s and Cameron was subtly accused of appointing someone who would know when and what to brush under the carpet by the alleged victims' families.

Last week she brushed aside any such criticism stating she was definitely the right person for the job and would conduct the enquiry in a wholly fair manner.

Now she has resigned from the job!

Can this farce get any more ridiculous? Why can't someone in government just be honest just for once and appoint a properly independent qualified figure to investigate the claims with complete honesty and transparency? Will they never learn that trying over and over again to cover up the truth will not work forever. Hillsborough is a good example of that!
Old 14 July 2014, 12:35 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well like you've said on many occasions, everyone in Government are a bunch of useless, lying, self serving double standards idiots and always will be. What did you expect other than business as usual? Are you genuinely surprised or is this another opportunity to have another pop at the establishment/country?
Old 14 July 2014, 12:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Well like you've said on many occasions, everyone in Government are a bunch of useless, lying, self serving double standards idiots and always will be. What did you expect other than business as usual? Are you genuinely surprised or is this another opportunity to have another pop at the establishment/country?
I'm sick of it tbh and sick of the fact that most people in this country are happy to let them behave like this which is of course why these kids were abused in the first place.... because deep down no one really gives a **** about anyone but themselves! The UK has got the politicians it deserves I guess!

The funny thing is for everyone who is so accepting of it if it was their kids they'd be going ballistic, but someone else's kids and it's a case of 'ah well, never mind'!
Old 14 July 2014, 01:16 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I don’t for one minute think that anyone in this country or any other for that matter are happy to let paedophilia to freely go on anywhere by any person let alone by those we elect. These cases were covered up by those in power some 20 to 30 years ago. Those who were abused was not due to people being happy to let this go on, people of this country were totally unaware this was going on. You generally speak lowly of your own countrymen, but to accuse everyone in this country to be happy to knowingly let children be abused is a new low.
Old 14 July 2014, 01:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the older you get the more you realise that so much is done "on the back of a *** packet"

this appointment seems like another example
Old 14 July 2014, 01:31 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are confusing me F1.

You say it is a farcical situation that person heading the investigation has resigned due to potential conflict of interest (a good thing surely), and yet you think someone who is more independent should take the helm (a possibility now).

If you are scared of a cover-up/whitewash, then surely her resignation is welcome news to you no? Which bit is farcical?
Old 14 July 2014, 01:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
You are confusing me F1.

You say it is a farcical situation that person heading the investigation has resigned due to potential conflict of interest (a good thing surely), and yet you think someone who is more independent should take the helm (a possibility now).

If you are scared of a cover-up/whitewash, then surely her resignation is welcome news to you no? Which bit is farcical?
That she got appointed in the first place by that idiot PM of ours and then both he and she said she was right for the job and now she has decided she isn't.

It's like no matter how serious things get the politicians have to find ways to further f**k up the whole thing!
Old 14 July 2014, 01:58 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, who knows, perhaps she WAS the best person for the job, it perhaps wasn't well understood just what kind of furore her appointment would cause though.

I think she's done the right thing though; even if she is/was the best person for the job, that's not enough - she has to not only be incorruptible, but to be seen as incorruptible too, and she seeminly failed the latter test.
Old 14 July 2014, 02:00 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I'm sick of it tbh and sick of the fact that most people in this country are happy to let them behave like this which is of course why these kids were abused in the first place.... because deep down no one really gives a **** about anyone but themselves! The UK has got the politicians it deserves I guess!

The funny thing is for everyone who is so accepting of it if it was their kids they'd be going ballistic, but someone else's kids and it's a case of 'ah well, never mind'!
So kids are being abused because we allow it to go onand because its not our children we don't care less.

You are right about one thing, I do believe that most people do put their own families first, I know I do but to say we don't care about other children being molested is wrong.

Can I ask, do you have children? I do and the thought of ANY child being abused makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 14 July 2014, 02:14 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Another example of YOU notreally caring about the issue in hand, just using it to have anotherpredictable whine about the government
Old 14 July 2014, 02:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Well, who knows, perhaps she WAS the best person for the job, it perhaps wasn't well understood just what kind of furore her appointment would cause though.

I think she's done the right thing though; even if she is/was the best person for the job, that's not enough - she has to not only be incorruptible, but to be seen as incorruptible too, and she seeminly failed the latter test.
I just can't see how Cameron could have thought appointing her was a good idea. I really do think he is as thick as two short planks. He is only saved by those around him and in opposition being as bad or worse!
Old 14 July 2014, 02:59 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Another example of YOU notreally caring about the issue in hand, just using it to have anotherpredictable whine about the government
As I said in the other thread accepting little sheep like you are a big part of the reason why the UK is the way it is!
Old 14 July 2014, 03:21 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

And being negative and critical gets us where?
Old 14 July 2014, 03:35 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
And being negative and critical gets us where?
So we shouldn't be critical of a political system that has left this country a shadow of its former self and full of cover ups and corruption that it would appear may have gone to the very top?

Sorry, but unless people are prepared to start being properly critical of this sort of thing we will just continue voting the Tories or Labour in depending on which one is less corrupt and crap at that particular time and basically giving them mandate to carry on how ever they see fit which is sort of how we got here!

I think it is high time we started to vote for people who we think might actually not be rotten to the core and might actually start to make a difference!
Old 14 July 2014, 03:53 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I think that whoever chose Butler-Sloss *thought* that she was the perfect person, not realising (due to married name) that she was related to the Havers, the ex attorney general....

I think it is that simple! someone fcuked up...

I'm glad she's resigned, as if she had stayed in the job, no matter what she did, there would always be those that would not trust her judgements and think conspiracy theories.
Old 14 July 2014, 03:54 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I hole heartedly agree but just wish you wouldn't be so critical òf the general public. Let's not forget these people you speak so low of work their backsides off to clean the streets you use and will care for you when your sick.

I do however think that politicians as individuals are trying to do a good job for the country whether their motivation be for personal gain or for a genuine greater good. And to accuse Cameron of being thick is wishful thinking, he is a very well educated and highly intelligent man that knows more than you ever will. He might not be the best man to run the country and in hindsight makes mistakes as we all do but to sound off as if its simple fix is also wishful thinking.
Old 14 July 2014, 04:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
I think that whoever chose Butler-Sloss *thought* that she was the perfect person, not realising (due to married name) that she was related to the Havers, the ex attorney general....

I think it is that simple! someone fcuked up...

I'm glad she's resigned, as if she had stayed in the job, no matter what she did, there would always be those that would not trust her judgements and think conspiracy theories.
But for pity's sake this is an enquiry into child abuse allegations and cover up allegations that might go right to the top of Westminster.

Surely the government would have done some basic due diligence as to whether appointing her was a good idea. And anyway I knew who her brother was without needing to look anything up.... so they certainly should have done.

It beggars belief as to how stupid they can be.
Old 14 July 2014, 04:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I do however think that politicians as individuals are trying to do a good job for the country whether their motivation be for personal gain or for a genuine greater good. And to accuse Cameron of being thick is wishful thinking, he is a very well educated and highly intelligent man that knows more than you ever will. He might not be the best man to run the country and in hindsight makes mistakes as we all do but to sound off as if its simple fix is also wishful thinking.
Well he needs to stop acting thick then! I am not saying anything is simple about running the country, but he does, whether you like it or not, come across as monumentally stupid sometimes. His little rant about the Internet and privacy about 18 months ago, for instance, showed he had no understanding of how the Internet works or how people use it.
Old 14 July 2014, 04:13 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

As I said in the other thread accepting little sheep like you are a big part of the reason why the UK is the way it is!
As are people that harp on about an issue and don't do anything about it
Old 14 July 2014, 04:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Yep, couldn't agree more! As a fully paid up member of Hacked Off I do wish more people would stand up against just one of the wrongs in this country, but most of them would rather lie around watching Sky getting p1ssed!
Old 14 July 2014, 05:25 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Yep, couldn't agree more! As a fully paid up member of Hacked Off I do wish more people would stand up against just one of the wrongs in this country, but most of them would rather lie around watching Sky getting p1ssed!
Your a fully paid up member of Hacked off http://www.hacked-off.co.uk/

Joking aside, could you please put a link up for the one you speak of.

Last edited by Carnut; 14 July 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 14 July 2014, 06:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Hacked Off
Old 14 July 2014, 07:29 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Your a fully paid up member of Hacked off http://www.hacked-off.co.uk/

Joking aside, could you please put a link up for the one you speak of.
Hacked Off is a leftist organisation that campaigns for a controlled press and apparently threatens freedom of expression and a free and independent press and who have their own agenda, political backroom deals and questionable affiliated “partners”. How ironic that the biggest critic of the state chooses to be a fully paid up member in support of such an organisation pushing for press regulation backed by the state!
Old 14 July 2014, 07:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Last week she brushed aside any such criticism stating she was definitely the right person for the job and would conduct the enquiry in a wholly fair manner.

Now she has resigned from the job!

Can this farce get any more ridiculous?
No. She was well hellbent to carry it out until last week. I refuse to believe that she couldn't identify the conflict of interest then, and she happens to be a retired High Court judge FFS! Even the papers could see that! And now, apparently she has read the papers on the weekend, so she steps down even before the job begins ??

Radio 4 as well as Sky until now have been wording it as such an ethical act by her whereas even I, from as far as Wales, can smell that something stinks about it.

Boon in disguise, imo. Who 'd want an impartial and a rock solid investigator that gets moved by what papers write? Good thing she's out.
Old 14 July 2014, 07:50 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Hacked Off is a leftist organisation that campaigns for a controlled press and apparently threatens freedom of expression and a free and independent press and who have their own agenda, political backroom deals and questionable affiliated “partners”. How ironic that the biggest critic of the state chooses to be a fully paid up member in support of such an organisation pushing for press regulation backed by the state!
Er..no! The press, in case you hadn't noticed, have brought misery to thousands of people as they tell lie after lie to suit their own agenda of selling as many of their disgusting rags to the imbeciles that lap their sh1te up every day! They had their chance with their so called 'freedom of the press' and they f**ked up repeatedly. Don't believe me? Read Leveson's report and you will see it there detailed on page after page. Additionally the supposed independent press complaints commission was found unfit for purpose by the same report.

Hacked Off wanted a truly independent press governing body that is backed up by law so the press cannot behave the way they have for the last 30 or so years without fear of proper reprisals, something that has not happened (until very recently of course and as a direct result of the Leveson investigation and then only to a handful of people while the rest, most noticeably Ms Brooks, get off scot free).

The government (yes the one you love to support) backtracked on their promise to implement Leveson and have watered it down to somewhere between nothing and a marginally state regulated press.

Hacked Off have never indicated any desire for the government to regulate the press and your statement shows just how well Cameron and co. can twist things to make it seem something it isn't.

At the end of the day I am sure Lord Leveson is not exactly happy about spending months on an enquiry that ultimately was going to change very little because Cameron basically didn't have the ***** to implement its conclusions despite them being drawn up by the man he chose to conduct the enquiry and him personally promising to do so!
Old 14 July 2014, 08:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by neil-h
OK Einstein...tell us EXACTLY what we can and should do?
Old 14 July 2014, 08:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
No. She was well hellbent to carry it out until last week. I refuse to believe that she couldn't identify the conflict of interest then, and she happens to be a retired High Court judge FFS! Even the papers could see that! And now, apparently she has read the papers on the weekend, so she steps down even before the job begins ??

Radio 4 as well as Sky until now have been wording it as such an ethical act by her whereas even I, from as far as Wales, can smell that something stinks about it.

Boon in disguise, imo. Who 'd want an impartial and a rock solid investigator that gets moved by what papers write? Good thing she's out.
Exactly.... a farce!
Old 14 July 2014, 08:36 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Er..no! The press, in case you hadn't noticed, have brought misery to thousands of people as they tell lie after lie to suit their own agenda of selling as many of their disgusting rags to the imbeciles that lap their sh1te up every day! They had their chance with their so called 'freedom of the press' and they f**ked up repeatedly. Don't believe me? Read Leveson's report and you will see it there detailed on page after page. Additionally the supposed independent press complaints commission was found unfit for purpose by the same report.

Hacked Off wanted a truly independent press governing body that is backed up by law so the press cannot behave the way they have for the last 30 or so years without fear of proper reprisals, something that has not happened (until very recently of course and as a direct result of the Leveson investigation and then only to a handful of people while the rest, most noticeably Ms Brooks, get off scot free).

The government (yes the one you love to support) backtracked on their promise to implement Leveson and have watered it down to somewhere between nothing and a marginally state regulated press.

Hacked Off have never indicated any desire for the government to regulate the press and your statement shows just how well Cameron and co. can twist things to make it seem something it isn't.

At the end of the day I am sure Lord Leveson is not exactly happy about spending months on an enquiry that ultimately was going to change very little because Cameron basically didn't have the ***** to implement its conclusions despite them being drawn up by the man he chose to conduct the enquiry and him personally promising to do so!
But Hacked Off are demanding that all UK press sign up the politicians' Royal Charter on press regulation. The Royal Charter was agreed by the three main political parties and pushed by an elitist lobby group fronted by the "luvvies", celebrity and the rich such as the likes of Hugh Grant, all of which, as you never fail to tell us, you despise. My point is irony of this with yourself.
Old 14 July 2014, 09:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

But Hacked Off are demanding that all UK press sign up the politicians' Royal Charter on press regulation. The Royal Charter was agreed by the three main political parties and pushed by an elitist lobby group fronted by the "luvvies", celebrity and the rich such as the likes of Hugh Grant, all of which, as you never fail to tell us, you despise. My point is irony of this with yourself.
They are suggesting the Royal Charter as that is the best we can hope for after the politicians changed their mind on passing new laws that were to be drawn up by independent lawyers rather than politicians. As I said Cameron backed down on his promise and this is the mess we are left with.

The alternatives are a self regulatory body (and I think most of us know how well that would work) or nothing. I personally am not comfortable with the Royal Charter, but that is where we are thanks to the spineless PM!

It is interesting you only bring up the 'luvvies' rather than the likes of Milly Dowler's family or Chris Jeffries or the families of the Hillsborough disaster victims or the Bowles family, but then ordinary people whose lives have been ripped apart by the press don't suit your agenda do they... in fact you are aligning yourself quite nicely (in my eyes at least) with the scum that are the gutter press... one can only wonder why?

If you believe in and support a press that wrecks innocent people's lives then that's up to you, I, on the other hand, choose not to and that is my right just as it is yours to do so!

Last edited by f1_fan; 14 July 2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 14 July 2014, 09:16 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hole heartedly agree but just wish you wouldn't be so critical òf the general public. Let's not forget these people you speak so low of work their backsides off to clean the streets you use and will care for you when your sick.

cameron isn't thick, he is well educated however he is sadly lacking in basic common sense, he is the sort of person who would bend over to pick up 5pence and stick his **** through, a 50 quid window

Quick Reply: Westminster child abuse enquiry - you couldn't make it up