dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Unbearable

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...s-joke-3842160

Personally I don't see why they should be made to apologize at al

For goodness sake, not everybody can afford to be eaten by a polar bear

Poor bloody bear btw

Last edited by dpb; 11 July 2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11 July 2014, 01:40 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i loled when i just saw that headline.
Old 11 July 2014, 04:15 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...s-joke-3842160

Personally I don't see why they should be made to apologize at al

For goodness sake, not everybody can afford to be eaten by a polar bear

Poor bloody bear btw
If it was pissed toffs wandering into a zoo, I'd tend to agree. However, this was meant to be an expedition/holiday. Not a buffet for the local wildlife. Looks like at least a couple of their keep-safe systems didn't work as they should. Firstly their fence/alarm and secondly, the bloody gun.
Old 11 July 2014, 04:45 PM
netbeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
If it was pissed toffs wandering into a zoo, I'd tend to agree. However, this was meant to be an expedition/holiday. Not a buffet for the local wildlife. Looks like at least a couple of their keep-safe systems didn't work as they should. Firstly their fence/alarm and secondly, the bloody gun.
I do not think it is about the "bloody gun", but about general training of the person leading the expedition.

Did you read why it "did not work"? Because the person was not trained to use it and did not know that he had the gun on safe before attempting to fire.

Were they taken on this exploratory expedition by an experienced guide, hell, even a hunter, this would have never happened just because they would not wander in to such an area and if something would have happened, at least an experienced person would know that the gun has to be taken off safe mode, before shooting/not mix up the switch.

I am wondering how they even lasted so long after reading in to the story.

In general, I tend to agree with the newspaper, because if expeditions like these are allowed out in to the wild, what do you expect? just because one is an enthusiast does not make the person an experienced tour guide.

Why do you think people not climb Everest like it was a sunday walk in the park? Just because they overrate themselves and cause permanent brain damage due to low oxygen levels in the air.

So what should we all do to NATURE in retaliation to the numerous permanently brain damaged people that decided they are cool enough to climb the hill without training and/or acclimatisation camping? Nuke the Everest?

They wandered in to a territory they knew nothing about, were not trained to use any equipment to fend off the animals or protect themselves against them, expected it to be exactly a stroll in the park and as a result somebody died because of somebody else being too self confident.

I think that that teacher should be put to jail for manslaughter just as an example for others and some legislation put to practice regarding these boyscout style trips, otherwise a bored maths teacher will think he is another Liam Neeson and can fight off hungry wolves with a couple of gun shells taped to a few sticks...

Last edited by netbeast; 11 July 2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11 July 2014, 05:51 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by netbeast
I do not think it is about the "bloody gun", but about general training of the person leading the expedition.

Did you read why it "did not work"? Because the person was not trained to use it and did not know that he had the gun on safe before attempting to fire.

Were they taken on this exploratory expedition by an experienced guide, hell, even a hunter, this would have never happened just because they would not wander in to such an area and if something would have happened, at least an experienced person would know that the gun has to be taken off safe mode, before shooting/not mix up the switch.

I am wondering how they even lasted so long after reading in to the story.

In general, I tend to agree with the newspaper, because if expeditions like these are allowed out in to the wild, what do you expect? just because one is an enthusiast does not make the person an experienced tour guide.

Why do you think people not climb Everest like it was a sunday walk in the park? Just because they overrate themselves and cause permanent brain damage due to low oxygen levels in the air.

So what should we all do to NATURE in retaliation to the numerous permanently brain damaged people that decided they are cool enough to climb the hill without training and/or acclimatisation camping? Nuke the Everest?

They wandered in to a territory they knew nothing about, were not trained to use any equipment to fend off the animals or protect themselves against them, expected it to be exactly a stroll in the park and as a result somebody died because of somebody else being too self confident.

I think that that teacher should be put to jail for manslaughter just as an example for others and some legislation put to practice regarding these boyscout style trips, otherwise a bored maths teacher will think he is another Liam Neeson and can fight off hungry wolves with a couple of gun shells taped to a few sticks...
Old 12 July 2014, 04:01 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by netbeast
otherwise a bored maths teacher will think he is another Liam Neeson and can fight off hungry wolves with a couple of gun shells taped to a few sticks...
One of the leaders tried to guage the bears eyes out !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...nt-attack.html

Not sure I'd take on a polar bear if the gun didn't work !
Old 12 July 2014, 04:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Hey, well it sounds good doesn't it.
Old 12 July 2014, 04:45 PM
netbeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
One of the leaders tried to guage the bears eyes out !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...nt-attack.html

Not sure I'd take on a polar bear if the gun didn't work !
after being attacked by it himself...
Old 14 July 2014, 03:57 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

hmmm!

Old 15 July 2014, 12:38 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Well I'm on the bears side
Probably standing aloft some toffs study right now ...

Given it's a nasty death no child deserves
But they shouldn't have been there in the first place ...
What's next
Trips to the ISS
Old 15 July 2014, 09:03 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Funny how so few people can bring themselves to feel any sympathy for a child mauled to death by a bear though, because he was posh being eaten alive is apparently ok, it's only bad if it was a middle class kid. Shows how petty jealous and bitter people are.

Last edited by Luan Pra bang; 15 July 2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 15 July 2014, 09:15 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

The bear was hungry, I doubt he would even known what a maul was
Old 15 July 2014, 09:25 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the bear was apparently starving - which is why it was so far away from where it should have been

maybe a real victim of climate change - but whatever it is it is a tragedy and no family deserves this happen to them
Old 15 July 2014, 10:02 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Funny how so few people can bring themselves to feel any sympathy for a child mauled to death by a bear though, because he was posh being eaten alive is apparently ok, it's only bad if it was a middle class kid. Shows how petty jealous and bitter people are.
I have no sympathy regardless of "the class" of the kid because, frankly, another polar bear is dead because of unecessary human intervention. Nothing to do with jealously and bitterness.

Many of these so called "expeditions" are lead by individuals who's ego's are significantly larger than their desire to do anything "good"

At least this time the score was level at 1 each.
Old 15 July 2014, 10:35 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
I have no sympathy regardless of "the class" of the kid because, frankly, another polar bear is dead because of unecessary human intervention. Nothing to do with jealously and bitterness.

Many of these so called "expeditions" are lead by individuals who's ego's are significantly larger than their desire to do anything "good"

At least this time the score was level at 1 each.
As a matter of interest, if you lived next door to.the family whose child died would would knock on tbe door and tell them the same bull**** yoi spouted above ?
Old 15 July 2014, 10:44 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

What would be the point.
It's misadventure, the kind of adventure most wouldn't even be able to contemplate
Old 15 July 2014, 10:54 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Whilst I have sympathy with the family of the child concerned, I generally agree with what Devildog is saying. It wasn't the bear that entered into their territory ill-equipped & badly prepared
Old 15 July 2014, 10:57 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

They were posh so they deserved it.

Okaaaaayyy....
Old 15 July 2014, 11:45 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Served up blue , I doubt he even managed a mouthful though.
Old 15 July 2014, 12:09 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Agreed, gotta love the internet haven't you.