Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

F1 - where is the thread?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2014, 07:08 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1 - where is the thread?

Hamilton wins the British GP - I can't see any mention.

Our cr4p footballers mince about winning nothing - it's all over SN.

Sad, very sad.

Unlike the win which is FANTASTIC NEWS!!
Old 07 July 2014, 07:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Football is a religion in the UK so of course we have a thread on England's usual level of World Cup success whereas F1 is a minority interest support not to mention the fact that most people on here dislike Lewis Hamilton for no good reason I might add!
Old 07 July 2014, 07:29 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt, thanks for starting F1 thread.

Whether F1 or else, great to see a Brit achieving the top title. He makes us all very proud.

Not watched this event on telly, so this is all I can say.

Well done, Lewis.
Old 07 July 2014, 07:43 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spoiler...

It was a hollow victory given he inherited it from a broken-down Rosberg. This championship will be more about reliability than skill I'm afraid to say, so as a big F1 fan, I find it hard to get that excited this year.

It makes me laugh when DC/Eddie were asking Mercedes "So can Lewis keep up this form? Go on to win in Hockenheim, etc." and I am just left laughing to myself thinking, it will depend on who's car finishes, nothing else.

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 07 July 2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07 July 2014, 07:59 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's kind of determined by the engine mechanics, at the end of the day, isnt it?
Old 07 July 2014, 08:00 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Still, good on im!
Old 07 July 2014, 08:01 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

But whatever the outcome, this is a forum about CARS and F1 is as big a car related sport as you can get.

But it's all about which ponsy football tart might consider a move to some other useless team next.

I despair of our nation.
Old 07 July 2014, 08:07 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I stopped watching the F1 a few years ago, mainly because I found it boring. I much prefer the BTCC as there are more overtakes, bumping, scrapping and crashing than the F1. It seems that quite a lot of people have lost interest in F1 and if you watch the fantastic old clips on YouTube of what it used to be like, I can see why not as many people watch it these days. Regardless though, a big well done to Lewis.
Old 07 July 2014, 08:07 AM
Yardz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
spoiler...

It was a hollow victory given he inherited it from a broken-down Rosberg. This championship will be more about reliability than skill I'm afraid to say, so as a big F1 fan, I find it hard to get that excited this year.

It makes me laugh when DC/Eddie were asking "So Lewis, can you keep up this form? Go on to win in Hockenheim, etc." and I am just left laughing to myself thinking, it will depend on who's car finishes, nothing else.
Still a whole world better than watching vettel run away with it.

I do think despite introducing all the new regs to bring them back to racing it's all about the show rather than race. As you say a battle of reliability

Personally id like to see the regs change so that everyone had to use exactly the same car then see who's really got the skill rather than biggest bank balance
Old 07 July 2014, 08:16 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Cracking race, far better than watching 22 overpaid prima-donnas mince around for 90 minutes pretending to be injured.
Old 07 July 2014, 08:17 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
spoiler...

It makes me laugh when DC/Eddie were asking Mercedes "So can Lewis keep up this form? Go on to win in Hockenheim, etc." and I am just left laughing to myself thinking, it will depend on who's car finishes, nothing else.
Lewis had been catching Rosberg ever since lap 10. Even Rosberg admitted on Saturday that round Silverstone all things being equal Lewis is faster than he is. So not a completely hollow victory, but we were denied seeing them battle it out for the lead proper.

F1 has always been about reliability, but ironically it is how reliable the cars are these days that makes reliability seem to play a bigger part in today's championship. Lewis has two mechanical DNFs to Rosberg's one. There is every chance they may have no more as the team fixes any problems in the car as the season progresses. If so then we have a level playing field with all to play for.

Lewis has the speed, but I think Rosberg is slightly smarter... it's going to be an interesting battle.

That said I would like a proper engine noise and closer racing between all the teams in preference to yet another one team race... at least this time the team in question do seem to be giving both their drivers an equal chance!
Old 07 July 2014, 08:19 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yardz
Personally id like to see the regs change so that everyone had to use exactly the same car then see who's really got the skill rather than biggest bank balance
No thank you, go and watch a spec series if that is what you want to see. F1 has always been about engineering as much as driving and if I had my way I'd relax the rules a whole lot more to open the sport up to the Chapman's and Cooper's of this world again!
Old 07 July 2014, 08:21 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
But whatever the outcome, this is a forum about CARS and F1 is as big a car related sport as you can get.

But it's all about which ponsy football tart might consider a move to some other useless team next.

I despair of our nation.
Football is popular as it is easily understood by the stupid.
Old 07 July 2014, 08:21 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yardz
That is a bad idea, there would be nothing in it for any manufacturer to take part, so you'd end up with an A1 GP style event, which no-one watched.

Personally I think they should get rid of the engine limits of 5(?) per season, get rid of the gearbox change penalties, get rid of the tyre restrictions. Get rid of all that stuff that makes them scared to drive the cars properly. Replace all that with a strictly enforced cost cap, to keep competition fair and healthy, let the teams decide how to keep costs low themselves rather than have it set rigidly in the regulations.

Oh, and more gravel traps.

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 07 July 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07 July 2014, 08:30 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Priceless!
Old 07 July 2014, 08:36 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

While the race itself was reasonably good, F1 has become totally over-regulated.
The delay for 1 hour for example was not necessary - just because the armco had been hit by Raikkonen.

As for that toolbag Eddie Jordan's comments about a car could have went through the barrier and into the crowd - yeah right.
Old 07 July 2014, 08:41 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
While the race itself was reasonably good, F1 has become totally over-regulated.
The delay for 1 hour for example was not necessary - just because the armco had been hit by Raikkonen.

As for that toolbag Eddie Jordan's comments about a car could have went through the barrier and into the crowd - yeah right.
Eh wrong!!!
The safety barrier was damaged,imagine what would have happened if a car went through it into the crowd!!
Old 07 July 2014, 08:44 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Eh wrong!!!
The safety barrier was damaged,imagine what would have happened if a car went through it into the crowd!!
It was more to with driver safety than crowd safety. If another car hit the same piece of barrier with there being a gap in it and it being deformed there was a chance that at 150mph this could pierce the car's safety cell hence it needed replacing. Whilst I am the first to speak out against OTT health and safety issues the FIA got this one right in my book! The only other solution was to have a permanent waved yellow at that point on the track for the duration of the race.
Old 07 July 2014, 08:51 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Hamilton wins the British GP - I can't see any mention.

Our cr4p footballers mince about winning nothing - it's all over SN.

Sad, very sad.

Unlike the win which is FANTASTIC NEWS!!
It was mentioned yesterday.....https://www.scoobynet.com/1006284-cmon-england-12.html
post #344.
Old 07 July 2014, 09:10 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Football has an ability to connect with the masses, whereas Motorsport events such as F1 don't have an ability to rock the whole nation. I don't think by demeaning Football and its fans makes F1 any more popular or 'bigger than mine'. Accepting that Football is more popular and still admiring your preferred sport i.e. Motorsport may be a better solution to be in peace with own soul.

Football doesn't necessarily attract stupid, nor does the love for Motorsport denote higher than thou intellect in f1 fans.

Last edited by Turbohot; 07 July 2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07 July 2014, 09:14 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
It was mentioned yesterday.....https://www.scoobynet.com/1006284-cmon-england-12.html
post #344.

Of course, you did, Mouser. We were talking about it. But you should have started a whole new thread dedicated to F1 because Hamilton won; to look more intelligent and elite on SN. As you didn't do it, instead you talked about it on Football thread, you must be stupid.
Old 07 July 2014, 09:52 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Of course, you did, Mouser. We were talking about it. But you should have started a whole new thread dedicated to F1 because Hamilton won; to look more intelligent and elite on SN. As you didn't do it, instead you talked about it on Football thread, you must be stupid.
Damn it you're right, I'm an idiot!
Old 07 July 2014, 10:09 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Football has an ability to connect with the masses, whereas Motorsport events such as F1 don't have an ability to rock the whole nation. I don't think by demeaning Football and its fans makes F1 any more popular or 'bigger than mine'. Accepting that Football is more popular and still admiring your preferred sport i.e. Motorsport may be a better solution to be in peace with own soul.

Football doesn't necessarily attract stupid, nor does the love for Motorsport denote higher than thou intellect in f1 fans.
Firstly please don't think I give a damn that F1 is less popular the than football as I don't and in fact I would actively discourage the football crowd from getting involved in watching F1.

When I go to an F1 race I can sit anywhere I choose next to anyone I choose and drink what I like without fear of arrest or being beaten senseless for sitting with the 'wrong' fans. I don't want that changing any time soon so the football crowd can stay away thanks!

Secondly if motorsport fans are not generally more intelligent than football fans (as you state above) can you tell me why it is that they don't need to be segregated or prevented from drinking alcohol at the events whereas football fans do?
Old 07 July 2014, 10:32 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

There may be some truth in that.

Six cylinders, a turbo, 8 speed auto (sort of), six pot brake callipers - ALL the same as my wee shopping hatch

I am now pretending my strange looking car is actually an F1 car - BROOOOOM BROOOOOM!
Old 07 July 2014, 10:32 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Eh wrong!!!
FFS - a car was not going to go through the bit that was damaged!.

Plus, what were the odds, of someone going off, and into that exact part of the armco?
Old 07 July 2014, 10:41 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Firstly please don't think I give a damn that F1 is less popular the than football as I don't and in fact I would actively discourage the football crowd from getting involved in watching F1.

When I go to an F1 race I can sit anywhere I choose next to anyone I choose and drink what I like without fear of arrest or being beaten senseless for sitting with the 'wrong' fans. I don't want that changing any time soon so the football crowd can stay away thanks!

Secondly if motorsport fans are not generally more intelligent than football fans (as you state above) can you tell me why it is that they don't need to be segregated or prevented from drinking alcohol at the events whereas football fans do?
Chris, you have very strong opinions against the popularity of football due to the bad behaviour by some football fans- I get that. I despise such behaviour myself, so I'm in agreement with you on that. On Matt's query, you were generalising and and indirectly taunting people who are peacefully discussing football on a 20-pager, thus you were putting them down for their interest in football. There is no aggravation whatsoever on that thread, which reflects that football is not a synonym for low intellect, beer bellied, thug-like one-sided mindsets that are always on for headbutting everyone for sod all or over petty disagreement.

Can't this thread simply be the F1 appreciation thread without bringing Football into it? May be not.

Anyway.

Last edited by Turbohot; 07 July 2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07 July 2014, 10:42 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Another one.

Why did the race director allow the GP to start if he knew Alonso's car was not in position correctly?
Old 07 July 2014, 10:44 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

There may be some truth in that.

Six cylinders, a turbo, 8 speed auto (sort of), six pot brake callipers - ALL the same as my wee shopping hatch

I am now pretending my strange looking car is actually an F1 car - BROOOOOM BROOOOOM!
All joking aside that is precisely why they changed the engine spec, so that in the long run it would be more applicable to road car tech and hence attract more manufacturers which is why Honda is coming back next year!

If you read the tech analysis for the Merc unit it is very clever, but one day could be used on road car engines easily enough... bye bye turbo lag... now wouldn't that be interesting?
Old 07 July 2014, 10:45 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Chris, you have very strong opinions against the popularity of football due to the bad behaviour by some football fans- I get that. I despise such behaviour myself, so I'm in agreement with you on that. On Matt's query, you were generalising and and indirectly taunting people who are peacefully discussing football on a 20-pager, thus you were putting them down for their interest in football. There is no aggravation whatsoever on that thread, which reflects that football is not a synonym for low intellect, beer bellied, thug-like one-sided mindsets that are always on for headbutting everyone for sod all or over petty disagreement.

Can't this thread simply be the F1 appreciation thread without bringing Football into it? May be not.

Anyway.
The OP mentioned football in the first post. I am just responding as I see fit. Sorry you don't agree, but that's life!
Old 07 July 2014, 10:49 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

The OP mentioned football in the first post. I am just responding as I see fit. Sorry you don't agree, but that's life!

Yes, I know. I read that.

Yes, I don't agree, don't be sorry. No hard feelings, no big deal. We can't always agree on everything. If we did, we'd be lying.

Quick Reply: F1 - where is the thread?