Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dashcams - What do you guys have / recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2014, 11:25 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashcams - What do you guys have / recommend?

Hi guys,
Been thinking about getting a dashcam for a while but an incident last night got me more geared up to obtain one which I will do today all being well.

Was driving down the M6 when the car in front started wandering a little between lanes... suddenly, he slammed his brakes on and guess what, no brake lights...

This meant my reaction time was slower than usual as it wasn't until I noticed the distance closing fast that I reacted, as opposed to seeing his brake lights come on. So... I didnt hit the clown, (who i suspect nodded off and woke up with a start) and was able to just steer round him but it occured to me that, being behind him, had I hit him I would by default be the driver at fault and it would have been handy to prove how events unfolded...

So, does anyone on here use them and if so, what can you recommend.
I want one with GPS so I can prove times, dates and speed too. Would also be interested if there are any out there with an external cam input that also record the view behind.
Old 02 July 2014, 01:27 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Check out Techmoan on youtube he has dozens
of reviews of dash cams with real world footage
of the quality.
Old 02 July 2014, 01:36 PM
JayUK91
Scooby Regular

I use the very popular G1W, fantastic sound and image quality - Full HD 1080p.

No GPS though, but something to definitely consider.
Old 02 July 2014, 01:54 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a Gopro hero 3 black edition.
It slides easily on and off the mount, and I just delete the unwanted footage each day.
I know the dashcams are much cheaper, but being a Gopro, I also use it for snorkeling, recording events, and soon aerial photography when I get a Phantom2 quadcopter.
Old 02 July 2014, 02:17 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Raptorman
Check out Techmoan on youtube he has dozens of reviews of dash cams with real world footage
of the quality.
Thanks, just been looking on there and i am now almost sold on this one.

Originally Posted by JayUK91
I use the very popular G1W, fantastic sound and image quality - Full HD 1080p. No GPS though, but something to definitely consider.
Thanks, really want GPS though as it shows speed which might be a deciding factor in a claim.

Originally Posted by scunnered
I use a Gopro hero 3 black edition.
Ive a black edition too but it doesnt have GPS and its also too expensive to leave on view in the car even if it did have.
Old 02 July 2014, 02:46 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The speed factor in an accident might just work against you as well.....

Without GPS traces speed is almost possible to prove (unless police crash investigators get involved).

I have a Hewlett Packard dash cam by the way. Well worth it
Old 02 July 2014, 03:56 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

blackvue with wifi
Old 02 July 2014, 05:29 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've got the 0803 and its great
Old 02 July 2014, 05:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I just have a cheap £20 one from ebay in my van, I leave it connected all the time so I just forget about it and because its only cheap I don't worry about it being left on the windscreen all the time.
Old 02 July 2014, 05:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46
The speed factor in an accident might just work against you as well.....
I was thinking about that, seeing that I drive break the speed limit most of the time...which could be tricky if someone else was at fault (i.e not giving way at a junction), but I was speeding before approaching the scene.
Old 02 July 2014, 06:14 PM
Jackals
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
blackvue with wifi
+1
Old 02 July 2014, 06:24 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

With the 0803 just delete the GPS files and send em the video
Old 02 July 2014, 08:26 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Roadhawk 720 clone.
£25 ish vs £99.

Before I had this one I had a Roadhawk RH1.

Now run the new one in 720p (it does 1080) and the picture is pretty good.

Overall very happy with it for £25. It was a bit buggy to start with - but did a re-set on it and now its fine.
Old 02 July 2014, 08:26 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say GPS/speed information is more than likely to go against you and I would rather opt for a camera that doesn't have this function. After all, I can't really think of a situation where you would NEED to tell them your speed (what if you were speeding)? I'd just tell them that I was driving the legal limit and that would be that.

Jay mentioned the G1W which is the one that I've been looking at. There is a newer version of this camera called the G1WH which now has a wider lens.

Last edited by LSherratt; 02 July 2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02 July 2014, 08:47 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blackvue
Use a DR380G-HD and it works quite nicely.
Old 02 July 2014, 08:56 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I just have a cheap £20 one from ebay in my van, I leave it connected all the time so I just forget about it and because its only cheap I don't worry about it being left on the windscreen all the time.
i have a 20 quid one too with a decent sized memory card. Plugged into the cigar lighter not hardwired.

Stu for your near miss I believe you probably would have still been at fault if you had hit him. Safe distances etc etc...

For instances where it was your fault the video can soon be deleted ;-)

It is also quite useful for the ***** of drivers for recording things and contacting the companies they work for offering to send the video in as evidence.
Old 02 July 2014, 09:33 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Paul, your must be similar to mine as in I doubt it would be able to read a number plate from the quality but if you had an accident you don't need that much info as all you need is the video showing how the accident happened as the reg will be obvious when your parked up next to each other
Old 02 July 2014, 09:58 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Paul, your must be similar to mine as in I doubt it would be able to read a number plate from the quality but if you had an accident you don't need that much info as all you need is the video showing how the accident happened as the reg will be obvious when your parked up next to each other
Exactly, i mean if you are in an accident you will most likely be out of your car shortly after taking the details, and if you are hurt the police will do it all for you.

it's good enough to prove you were involved at x, y time date and place with x car (s).

Old 02 July 2014, 10:28 PM
ndh01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72

it's good enough to prove you were involved at x, y time date and place with x car (s).

As I have mentioned in previous threads, the dragonfly dashcam is good, but after a month of trialing it, I have had no luck with anybody there who can tell me how to set the time and date. Which, although the pictures would tell the story, make it rather pointless if I have the wrong date and time on the evidence. If their response is not forthcoming soon I'll just send it straight back to them. As I'm, local, I've said I'll go into the office in Chelmsford so they can show me. Should be interesting........
Old 02 July 2014, 10:44 PM
JayUK91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Jay mentioned the G1W which is the one that I've been looking at. There is a newer version of this camera called the G1WH which now has a wider lens.
Looking at it, I do have the newer G1WH. Can't fault it.
Old 03 July 2014, 12:38 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

This might not be a very honest thing to say but would you tell your insurance that you have one? If you have a accident and you have informed your insurance that you have one and subsequently had a discount, would you be required to have it running all the time?

What if it was your fault, you may be forced to hand over the very evidence that will be your downfall. If you refuse, or say that it was not running, maybe you will be voiding your insurance by not complying with the terms.

What I would do is pay the slightly higher insurance and if I was to have an accident I would decide there and then if to use it.

I know I might sound a bit dishonest, but if your forced to give video evidence, it might be misleading and go against you. Some times the facts can be bent to severe different causes.
Old 03 July 2014, 12:52 AM
JayUK91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
If you have a accident and you have informed your insurance that you have one and subsequently had a discount, would you be required to have it running all the time?
Is this a thing? Discounted insurance with a dashcam? My insurers aren't aware I have one.
Old 03 July 2014, 09:43 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
With the 0803 just delete the GPS files and send em the video
Indeed. That would be my plan if it wasnt data that would be of use to my case.

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Stu for your near miss I believe you probably would have still been at fault if you had hit him. Safe distances etc etc...
I agree, but the "crash for cash" scam is becoming more and more popular and the common denominator is a switch on the brake light allowing them to turn it off until you have hit them, then they flick it back on. unlikely to be the case in my scenario as you would need a bit of a death wish to do it at 60mph on the M6 but its common on roundabouts etc. Having evidence they werent working might just swing the case if other factors are "suspect" too.

My missus had an incident about 6 years ago where some drunken tw@ bounced himself off her front wing on a main road and got himself some compensation from her insurance saying she was speeding and "came out of nowhere". She was doing about 15mph by all accounts. I am pretty sure the dashcam with GPS speed would have saved her in that particular scenario.

Originally Posted by JayUK91
Is this a thing? Discounted insurance with a dashcam? My insurers aren't aware I have one.
Yes, quite a few offer it now. My daughter was offered 15% discount if she had one fitted. Id be interested to know if it becomes "mandatory" that its working at all times.

Ive hit the button on the one in the video link above.
Will update when its installed.
Old 03 July 2014, 10:18 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

If you get insurance through a comparison site then you will have the option to agree to have a dash cam. More and more companies are making it an option but I still wounder if you have one, or declare that you do, is it mandatory to have it on at all times?

It's the US that is leading the way, so it could be a good idea to keep one eye on what there doing to see if it is made compulsory in the future.

I do like the idea of having one and no doubt soon I will get one but its just another tool that the insurer will have in there arson. And we all know how they do what ever they can, NOT to pay out.
Old 03 July 2014, 03:40 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Arsenal.

They're not Firestarters!
Old 03 July 2014, 04:33 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Arsenal.

They're not Firestarters!
Law.*the*malicious*burning*of*another's*house*orpr operty,*or*in*some*statutes,*the*burning*of*one's own*house*or*property,*as*to*collect*insurance.

As their customer they will burn you in order to serve their purpose.Or to put it another way, it will give them another tool to burn us with.

And before you ask, I don't mean burn as in set us on fire.

Last edited by Carnut; 03 July 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03 July 2014, 04:42 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Doesn't having an expensive dashcam on display make your car more likely to be broken into along with the consequential costs of replacement glass etc. Maybe your premium should increase rather than decrease
Old 03 July 2014, 04:58 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chris j t
Law.*the*malicious*burning*of*another's*house*orpr operty,*or*in*some*statutes,*the*burning*of*one's own*house*or*property,*as*to*collect*insurance.

As their customer they will burn you in order to serve their purpose.Or to put it another way, it will give them another tool to burn us with.

And before you ask, I don't mean burn as in set us on fire.
Aaah, Im wid ya.

"Joz, the wise ***, get's his comeuppance."

Last edited by joz8968; 03 July 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03 July 2014, 11:18 PM
GWJ
Scooby Regular

I have one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3510404224...84.m1497.l2649

30 squid, has a rear camera as well to cover your ****. Records front and rear at the same time. Image quality quite good, no gps though
Old 04 July 2014, 12:57 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the hang up with GPS being used against you, speed=distance/time, so have always assumed it could be worked out anyway.

0803 is a great little camera and gets good reviews.

Quick Reply: Dashcams - What do you guys have / recommend?