ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Dashcams - What do you guys have / recommend? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1007323-dashcams-what-do-you-guys-have-recommend.html)

Evolution Stu 02 July 2014 11:25 AM

Dashcams - What do you guys have / recommend?

Hi guys,
Been thinking about getting a dashcam for a while but an incident last night got me more geared up to obtain one which I will do today all being well.

Was driving down the M6 when the car in front started wandering a little between lanes... suddenly, he slammed his brakes on and guess what, no brake lights... http://passionford.com/forum/images/smilies/wall.gif

This meant my reaction time was slower than usual as it wasn't until I noticed the distance closing fast that I reacted, as opposed to seeing his brake lights come on. So... I didnt hit the clown, (who i suspect nodded off and woke up with a start) and was able to just steer round him but it occured to me that, being behind him, had I hit him I would by default be the driver at fault and it would have been handy to prove how events unfolded...

So, does anyone on here use them and if so, what can you recommend.
I want one with GPS so I can prove times, dates and speed too. Would also be interested if there are any out there with an external cam input that also record the view behind.

Raptorman 02 July 2014 01:27 PM

Check out Techmoan on youtube he has dozens
of reviews of dash cams with real world footage
of the quality.

JayUK91 02 July 2014 01:36 PM

I use the very popular G1W, fantastic sound and image quality - Full HD 1080p.

No GPS though, but something to definitely consider.

scunnered 02 July 2014 01:54 PM

I use a Gopro hero 3 black edition.
It slides easily on and off the mount, and I just delete the unwanted footage each day.
I know the dashcams are much cheaper, but being a Gopro, I also use it for snorkeling, recording events, and soon aerial photography when I get a Phantom2 quadcopter.

Evolution Stu 02 July 2014 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Raptorman (Post 11461095)
Check out Techmoan on youtube he has dozens of reviews of dash cams with real world footage
of the quality.

Thanks, just been looking on there and i am now almost sold on this one.

Originally Posted by JayUK91 (Post 11461100)
I use the very popular G1W, fantastic sound and image quality - Full HD 1080p. No GPS though, but something to definitely consider.

Thanks, really want GPS though as it shows speed which might be a deciding factor in a claim.

Originally Posted by scunnered (Post 11461105)
I use a Gopro hero 3 black edition.

Ive a black edition too but it doesnt have GPS and its also too expensive to leave on view in the car even if it did have.

Donnie Brasco 46 02 July 2014 02:46 PM

The speed factor in an accident might just work against you as well.....

Without GPS traces speed is almost possible to prove (unless police crash investigators get involved).

I have a Hewlett Packard dash cam by the way. Well worth it

riiidaa 02 July 2014 03:56 PM

blackvue with wifi

ScoobyJawa 02 July 2014 05:29 PM

I've got the 0803 and its great :)

stevebt 02 July 2014 05:35 PM

I just have a cheap £20 one from ebay in my van, I leave it connected all the time so I just forget about it and because its only cheap I don't worry about it being left on the windscreen all the time.

ALi-B 02 July 2014 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46 (Post 11461132)
The speed factor in an accident might just work against you as well.....

I was thinking about that, seeing that I drive break the speed limit most of the time...which could be tricky if someone else was at fault (i.e not giving way at a junction), but I was speeding before approaching the scene.

Jackals 02 July 2014 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 11461176)
blackvue with wifi

+1 :thumb:

ScoobyJawa 02 July 2014 06:24 PM

With the 0803 just delete the GPS files and send em the video ;) :D

billythekid 02 July 2014 08:26 PM

Roadhawk 720 clone.
£25 ish vs £99.

Before I had this one I had a Roadhawk RH1.

Now run the new one in 720p (it does 1080) and the picture is pretty good.

Overall very happy with it for £25. It was a bit buggy to start with - but did a re-set on it and now its fine.

LSherratt 02 July 2014 08:26 PM

I would say GPS/speed information is more than likely to go against you and I would rather opt for a camera that doesn't have this function. After all, I can't really think of a situation where you would NEED to tell them your speed (what if you were speeding)? I'd just tell them that I was driving the legal limit and that would be that.

Jay mentioned the G1W which is the one that I've been looking at. There is a newer version of this camera called the G1WH which now has a wider lens.

myblackwrx 02 July 2014 08:47 PM

Blackvue
Use a DR380G-HD and it works quite nicely.

PaulC72 02 July 2014 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11461235)
I just have a cheap £20 one from ebay in my van, I leave it connected all the time so I just forget about it and because its only cheap I don't worry about it being left on the windscreen all the time.

i have a 20 quid one too with a decent sized memory card. Plugged into the cigar lighter not hardwired.

Stu for your near miss I believe you probably would have still been at fault if you had hit him. Safe distances etc etc...

For instances where it was your fault the video can soon be deleted ;-)

It is also quite useful for the knobs of drivers for recording things and contacting the companies they work for offering to send the video in as evidence.

stevebt 02 July 2014 09:33 PM

Paul, your must be similar to mine as in I doubt it would be able to read a number plate from the quality but if you had an accident you don't need that much info as all you need is the video showing how the accident happened as the reg will be obvious when your parked up next to each other :)

PaulC72 02 July 2014 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11461390)
Paul, your must be similar to mine as in I doubt it would be able to read a number plate from the quality but if you had an accident you don't need that much info as all you need is the video showing how the accident happened as the reg will be obvious when your parked up next to each other :)

Exactly, i mean if you are in an accident you will most likely be out of your car shortly after taking the details, and if you are hurt the police will do it all for you.

it's good enough to prove you were involved at x, y time date and place with x car (s).

:)

ndh01 02 July 2014 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 11461410)

it's good enough to prove you were involved at x, y time date and place with x car (s).

:)

As I have mentioned in previous threads, the dragonfly dashcam is good, but after a month of trialing it, I have had no luck with anybody there who can tell me how to set the time and date. Which, although the pictures would tell the story, make it rather pointless if I have the wrong date and time on the evidence. If their response is not forthcoming soon I'll just send it straight back to them. As I'm, local, I've said I'll go into the office in Chelmsford so they can show me. Should be interesting........

JayUK91 02 July 2014 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11461333)
Jay mentioned the G1W which is the one that I've been looking at. There is a newer version of this camera called the G1WH which now has a wider lens.

Looking at it, I do have the newer G1WH. Can't fault it.

Carnut 03 July 2014 12:38 AM

This might not be a very honest thing to say but would you tell your insurance that you have one? If you have a accident and you have informed your insurance that you have one and subsequently had a discount, would you be required to have it running all the time?

What if it was your fault, you may be forced to hand over the very evidence that will be your downfall. If you refuse, or say that it was not running, maybe you will be voiding your insurance by not complying with the terms.

What I would do is pay the slightly higher insurance and if I was to have an accident I would decide there and then if to use it.

I know I might sound a bit dishonest, but if your forced to give video evidence, it might be misleading and go against you. Some times the facts can be bent to severe different causes.

JayUK91 03 July 2014 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by chris j t (Post 11461497)
If you have a accident and you have informed your insurance that you have one and subsequently had a discount, would you be required to have it running all the time?

Is this a thing? Discounted insurance with a dashcam? My insurers aren't aware I have one.

Evolution Stu 03 July 2014 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa (Post 11461252)
With the 0803 just delete the GPS files and send em the video ;) :D

Indeed. That would be my plan if it wasnt data that would be of use to my case.

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 11461353)
Stu for your near miss I believe you probably would have still been at fault if you had hit him. Safe distances etc etc...

I agree, but the "crash for cash" scam is becoming more and more popular and the common denominator is a switch on the brake light allowing them to turn it off until you have hit them, then they flick it back on. unlikely to be the case in my scenario as you would need a bit of a death wish to do it at 60mph on the M6 but its common on roundabouts etc. Having evidence they werent working might just swing the case if other factors are "suspect" too.

My missus had an incident about 6 years ago where some drunken tw@ bounced himself off her front wing on a main road and got himself some compensation from her insurance saying she was speeding and "came out of nowhere". She was doing about 15mph by all accounts. I am pretty sure the dashcam with GPS speed would have saved her in that particular scenario.

Originally Posted by JayUK91 (Post 11461500)
Is this a thing? Discounted insurance with a dashcam? My insurers aren't aware I have one.

Yes, quite a few offer it now. My daughter was offered 15% discount if she had one fitted. Id be interested to know if it becomes "mandatory" that its working at all times.

Ive hit the button on the one in the video link above.
Will update when its installed.

Carnut 03 July 2014 10:18 AM

If you get insurance through a comparison site then you will have the option to agree to have a dash cam. More and more companies are making it an option but I still wounder if you have one, or declare that you do, is it mandatory to have it on at all times?

It's the US that is leading the way, so it could be a good idea to keep one eye on what there doing to see if it is made compulsory in the future.

I do like the idea of having one and no doubt soon I will get one but its just another tool that the insurer will have in there arson. And we all know how they do what ever they can, NOT to pay out.

joz8968 03 July 2014 03:40 PM

Arsenal.

They're not Firestarters! :lol1:

Carnut 03 July 2014 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11461800)
Arsenal.

They're not Firestarters! :lol1:

Law.*the*malicious*burning*of*another's*house*orpr operty,*or*in*some*statutes,*the*burning*of*one's own*house*or*property,*as*to*collect*insurance.

As their customer they will burn you in order to serve their purpose.Or to put it another way, it will give them another tool to burn us with.

And before you ask, I don't mean burn as in set us on fire.:D

speedking 03 July 2014 04:42 PM

Doesn't having an expensive dashcam on display make your car more likely to be broken into along with the consequential costs of replacement glass etc. Maybe your premium should increase rather than decrease ;)

joz8968 03 July 2014 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by chris j t (Post 11461827)
Law.*the*malicious*burning*of*another's*house*orpr operty,*or*in*some*statutes,*the*burning*of*one's own*house*or*property,*as*to*collect*insurance.

As their customer they will burn you in order to serve their purpose.Or to put it another way, it will give them another tool to burn us with.

And before you ask, I don't mean burn as in set us on fire.:D

Aaah, Im wid ya. ;)

"Joz, the wise ass, get's his comeuppance." :D

GWJ 03 July 2014 11:18 PM

I have one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3510404224...84.m1497.l2649

30 squid, has a rear camera as well to cover your arse. Records front and rear at the same time. Image quality quite good, no gps though

Allan 04 July 2014 12:57 PM

Not sure about the hang up with GPS being used against you, speed=distance/time, so have always assumed it could be worked out anyway.

0803 is a great little camera and gets good reviews.