Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone here using a Virgin Mobile monthly SIM plan, ideally unlimited everything ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2014, 12:22 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here using a Virgin Mobile monthly SIM plan, ideally unlimited everything ?

Ive just signed up for one of the Virgin mobile monthly SIM plans, its got unlimited everything, well technically it has.

I spoke to Virgin and asked them whether the unlimited data actually means unlimited data, they said that they have a fair useage plan in place. She said that you do get unlimited data but if your useage goes over 2GB within any monthly period you still get unlimited data for the rest of the month but at a reduced speed.

I was just wondering how much they reduce the speed by, if anyone uses a Virgin unlimited plan have you gone over the 2GB and if so, did you notice any reduction in speed after ?
Old 26 June 2014, 02:36 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I have 4 devices on Virgin sim only monthly deal. I was told 3GB unlimited fair use and anything above is slowed down. I haven't noticed a drop myself. My son who is a heavy gamer hasn't complained. I like the deal with only 30 day commitment. Same network as EE.

Unlike when we were with EE, they actually throttled my son's Internet, then stopped it at certain times of day, even blocked certain website access. Plus they were on 12 month contract.
Old 26 June 2014, 03:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Funny isn't it that "unlimited" can actually mean "limited" in the toothy ****'s world?

I wonder how HE would feel if we limited his money making scams?
Old 27 June 2014, 07:54 AM
Scoobydoo Ste
Scooby Regular

I don't know if it's my phone or what but i'm with virgin media and the signal is crap
Old 27 June 2014, 10:30 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Think Virgin just piggy back onto the O2 network don't they?
Old 27 June 2014, 10:37 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alcazar
Funny isn't it that "unlimited" can actually mean "limited" in the toothy ****'s world?

It is unlimited. You get 3.5gb data allowance at full speed (H+) and if you go over that it is goes down to 3G speeds which is hardly slow and that continues until your allowances renew at the start of the next month.

I've been on the unlimited everything rolling 1 month contract for £15 a month for a while now and no other provider can come close to it for price/coverage. I'm very happy with it.

Virgin uses the EE/T-Mobile/Orange networks.
Old 27 June 2014, 02:39 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Think Virgin just piggy back onto the O2 network don't they?
No piggy EE network
Old 27 June 2014, 04:20 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I went for the TESCO sim only at £10 pm and 30day contract the other year.

500mins
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data

its now gone up to £10.21 a month, I think with the VAT rate going up.

But, yep, unlimited data

I keep getting call from fone companies who say they will get me a better deal, then i tell them what I'm paying and for what... they can't beat it

Oh, I've just bought a new PAYG O2 phone from CFWH, Samsung s3 mini.. £99.
so now use that as my phone. as Tesco use O2.

Last edited by salsa-king; 27 June 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 27 June 2014, 05:43 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

I had a similar issue with 3 a few years ago on the wording of unlimited as they charged my daughter for the unlimited text messages after she had sent 5000 (I know how many!). Any way it was a bill of £90 for the extra outside of fair use.

Put it this way I spoke to them defined the word unlimited and said they would need to take me to court for the money because unlimited means unlimited and not chargeable after a certain amount (otherwise it's limited to X point).

They did back down and we never paid the money.

This whole unlimited usage thing is total crap and they shouldn't be allowed to use it if it isn't.
Old 30 June 2014, 11:57 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

but does the virgin contract allow you to access the EE 4G network as part of the inclusive contract?
Old 01 July 2014, 09:31 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian F
but does the virgin contract allow you to access the EE 4G network as part of the inclusive contract?
No it's not a 4g deal, you can't expect unlimited 4g data along with calls and texts for £15 a month! I've just been notified mines going up to £16.50 a month but even with that increase it's still an unbeatable deal for what you get.
Old 01 July 2014, 11:13 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Can someone on Virgin mobile tell me which option they used the first time they put their SIM card in for the network, on my Galaxy Note 3 it gave me 2 options the first time i inserted the SIM.

1. Virgin
2. EE/T-Mobile

It looks fairly obvious that you would choose Virgin with being a Virgin customer but from what i believe Virgin use the EE/T-Mobile network.

I chose Virgin on the auto setup, i'm having poor signal problems, sometimes the signal says H+ on the top bar but it only has 1 strength bar then eventually disappears, other times it just says H which is difficult to get a page to load on the internet, most of the time its going off and saying unable to connect to Virgin.

Great start on day 1 lol

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 01 July 2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01 July 2014, 10:10 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Its now 10pm and this virgin mobile signal has been useless all day, most of the time the connection goes off and says emergency calls only.

I'm in Cheshire, anyone else been having probs with the virgin network today ? Surely this aint the norm ?
Old 05 July 2014, 04:00 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I had to cancel the Virgin Mobile Sim, tried it for 3 days solid, where i live must be a black spot for Virgin, i was constantly getting the ghostbusters white circle with a line through it saying the signal had disconnected. Phone calls were distorted as if it would cut off at any time, 3G data was almost impossible.

I guess some networks will work in your areas and others won't, just put my Vodafone sim back in and to be fair it seems ok based on what ive just experienced with the the Virgin. Only snag with the Vodafone one is it can be iffy in other areas, doesn't seem like anyone has strong overall coverage.
Old 05 July 2014, 05:24 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ive just switched to virgin from 02 and im getting the same issues you describe. im up in jockland but its the same issue but with an 02 sim it was spot on and so was the signal?
Old 08 July 2014, 12:03 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

An0n0m0us how did Virgin get away with puting up your contract charges?
Old 08 July 2014, 08:12 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
An0n0m0us how did Virgin get away with puting up your contract charges?
I assume because it's only 30 day contract then one month's notice is all they need to change terms /tariff.
Old 08 July 2014, 08:16 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
I had to cancel the Virgin Mobile Sim, tried it for 3 days solid, where i live must be a black spot for Virgin, i was constantly getting the ghostbusters white circle with a line through it saying the signal had disconnected. Phone calls were distorted as if it would cut off at any time, 3G data was almost impossible.

I guess some networks will work in your areas and others won't, just put my Vodafone sim back in and to be fair it seems ok based on what ive just experienced with the the Virgin. Only snag with the Vodafone one is it can be iffy in other areas, doesn't seem like anyone has strong overall coverage.
Unfortunately all providers have dead areas. Virgin using EE they do have the widest coverage all UK providers but yet still have dead spots. It works well where we live, but in the next village it's poor. The opposite situation occurs with Vodafone, swings and roundabouts.
Old 08 July 2014, 10:55 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I appreciate that Andy and its what ive found from my experience, if you look at their coverage maps though and i'll use my own as an example, on Virgin its showing complete coverage in the area where i live, thats not the case as you can barely get a signal, most of the time you don't get any.

Do they just make it up ?
Old 08 July 2014, 11:18 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Any of the carriers that piggy back will always have a useless signal as compared to the original network. Im with ee and find the reception generally pretty good. I was using tmobile before(same network) but they have made the internet worse since they introduced 4g. More than likely to force everyo e to upgrade to 4g.

If tmobile signal is getting worse i cant imagine how bad virgin will be now? Since your only on a monthly you can wave it gòod bye and just move to ee?
Old 09 July 2014, 11:32 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Since your only on a monthly you can wave it gòod bye and just move to ee?
I'm still on my Vodafone contract which ends in October, i was just testing out a few monthly sim cards to see if any are better than Vodafone, Virgin was the first i tried, obviously with the signal being virtually non existent i cancelled it.

I'll try a couple more out before the end of October, like you refer too with monthly sim cards its easy to move from one to the other if the signal isn't great.