Wood flooring

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2014, 11:33 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood flooring

Hi all,

I have got this large room, 7.5m x 11m and want to put wood flooring down.

It needs to be pretty heavy duty as there will be a lot of traffic so has anyone got any recommendations for good flooring at a reasonable price?

Also will it need an expansion joint anywhere or will it be OK at that size.

PS I know I could have asked these questions on a DIY forum, but then SN NSR wouldn't know how ***ing massive my house is and how well off I am. Thanks
Old 02 June 2014, 12:43 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

We had our extension and hallway done in solid oak from the now liquidated Floors2Go. Generally we're pleased with it. Got to be a bit careful with furniture and stuff scuffing it, you need to put felt pads on chair legs etc. but for the most part it is holding up well. Drop something heavy on it though and it may leave a dent.

Main thing with it is the boards are pretty thick and will take being sanded down a number of times so when it does start to look really worn and the kids have grown up a bit there is always the option to do a bit of restoration work on it.

You'll need about 1cm all the way round the outside for expansion but the skirting boards cover this.

The floor was a click together type so laid floating over an underlay.

Shop around is all I can add.
Old 02 June 2014, 12:46 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

As above, had a similar sized area done in my house... Expansion is all managed aroud the edge, so no problems there.
Old 02 June 2014, 12:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
We had our extension and hallway done in solid oak from the now liquidated Floors2Go.
Have they finally gone? Thank goodness for that as there are so many reviews of them where they fail to supply the same quality of product as on display or refuse to refund you if they can't deliver the item as specified on the order or in a reasonable time frame!
Old 02 June 2014, 02:25 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Have they finally gone? Thank goodness for that as there are so many reviews of them where they fail to supply the same quality of product as on display or refuse to refund you if they can't deliver the item as specified on the order or in a reasonable time frame!
Seems like they do still exist, I'm guessing someone bought them from the liquidators but scaled down the retail outlet side of it as the two shops near us have both gone. Quality was fine for us, the floor we were after they had enough of in the shop that we could have taken it there and then however we sent our builder to get it along with the correct dimensions as he could drive a harder bargain.

Ours was similar (if not the same) to this: http://www.floors2go.co.uk/solid-woo...t-finish-click
Old 02 June 2014, 02:28 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I used floors to go and the flooring delivered was spot on...last summer.

as for advice; minimum of 5mm wearing surface and bevelled edges make joint neater too.
Old 02 June 2014, 03:05 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Had our largish(obviously not as large as yours) through room done last year flowing through into the hall and smaller hall to the garage, approx 50sqm. Went to large sellers who all offered different advice and quality of product. Finally chose a local guy on recommendation and we ended up having engineered oak rather than solid. This is less liable to expand/contract due to it's construction.

It can be re-sanded if required as well. Go to a showroom where you can take home with you a 1-2sqm sample to see how it looks in situ. Also move it around the room as the light makes a big difference as well.

When fitted try to avoid direct sunlight as all wood will fade.

Go for a quality acoustic underboard as well.

Take off your skirting board before fitting and re-fit new after the floor is down. For the sake of about £50 it will look so much better.
Old 02 June 2014, 03:50 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had solid oak flooring in my hall at my old house. It was a pita, slightest thing marked it (small stone stuck in the sole of your shoe for example) and anyone wearing high heels left little tiny 'dints' in the wood. Never again.
Old 02 June 2014, 04:06 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Engineered is the only way to go to be sure you don't get any cupping.

As for the marks and sunlight, that just adds character.

Edit to add; As for price and quality, as usual you get what you pay for.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 02 June 2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02 June 2014, 05:28 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

I have got this large room, 7.5m x 11m and want to put wood flooring down.

It needs to be pretty heavy duty as there will be a lot of traffic so has anyone got any recommendations for good flooring at a reasonable price?

Also will it need an expansion joint anywhere or will it be OK at that size.

PS I know I could have asked these questions on a DIY forum, but then SN NSR wouldn't know how ***ing massive my house is and how well off I am. Thanks
LOL @this post, Chris.

By the way, my room is bigger than yours.

It's not really, but I'd like to think that. Sorry, can't help any more than that.

Peace. Out.
Old 02 June 2014, 05:42 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

As stated, engineered for consistency, or if you want to chalk up some some ecomental/sustainability points, look into bamboo.

An acquaintance got theirs from flooringsupplies.co.uk, and were very pleased with the product and service.
Old 02 June 2014, 06:06 PM
JJTurbo
Scooby Regular

As a floor layer I would recommend that you remove you're skirting boards, then lay the floor with a 1cm expansion gap everywhere... the new skirting board will cover this nicely.
Most solid wood or Engineered wood floor planks do connect together with a lip and tongue system... But if the floor is being laid on floor boards, then its best to be nail or screw down each plank as you lay them ( diagonally in the tongue/lip side area) If it's being laid on a concrete sub-floor then PVA glue each plank as you go and have it as a floating floor, like laminate. Also look in to Karndean flooring and Amtico as an alternative.
If in doubt get a professional in for peace of mind.. Good luck.
Old 02 June 2014, 07:26 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Pfftt... I've got solid oak flooring in my triple garage.

I have to replace it yearly, but it's only money.
Old 03 June 2014, 03:28 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I have been looking at this as well, I had cheap engineerd floor when I moved in so swapped it for a white carpet that now looks **** and now I want to get some real wood. I want maple or walnut but the cost is ridiculous, plenty of oak is advertised at 25 per metre so it seems the logical choice.
Old 04 June 2014, 10:02 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Went through this debate a few years ago in our new to us house. Last house had pine and oak wood flooring throughout that looked great. Not so great was maintaining and recoating it at least every 2 years due to the normal wear.

Decided to go the Karndean route this time in the hallway while we decide what we'll do with the rest of the house. It still looks good after over 2 years without any signs of wear so the chances are we'll do other parts of the house with it.

One word of advise is to check all radiator pipes for leaks before laying your new floor as ripping it up is a proper pain in the ****. Same goes for any other wires, plugs, etc ...
Old 04 June 2014, 01:25 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Have had Elka solid flooring in the hallway and lounge for 4yrs now and looks the same as when it was laid. Granted I keep it clean and protect it once a year. Also make guests take their shoes off at the door. Only damage to date is me dropping things like mobile phones. Its got that aged look so hides any damage really well.

You do notice how sturdy it feels underfoot when you visit friends with laminate and cheaper engineered.

This stuff:

http://www.elkaflooring.com/images/w...Golden-Oak.jpg

Last edited by P1Fanatic; 04 June 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06 June 2014, 08:23 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I had over 450m square laid on solid flow screed with underfloor heating. I used engineered oak with 7mm of oak top. I used the recommended pre seal and adhesive. It has been down 8 years and is still in good condition. I oiled finished so easier to refinish.

Leave as big as possible around the edge slightly less than thickness of skirting. Double check that your heating has no leaks, worst outcome if it does..
Old 06 June 2014, 08:41 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Got lucky for bathroom floor ( yes I realize its completely wrong ) found some 20mm solid oak tongue and groove 15£ metre. At b and q
Edge screwed it to floorboards beneath. It hasn't moved as yet. ,six months later. Good as new, of course very little traffic
Old 06 June 2014, 11:17 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Got lucky for bathroom floor ( yes I realize its completely wrong ) found some 20mm solid oak tongue and groove 15£ metre. At b and q
Edge screwed it to floorboards beneath. It hasn't moved as yet. ,six months later. Good as new, of course very little traffic
LOL hope it doesn't move or you'll fall through and end up in your kitchen downstairs, grooving with your tongue out.

IMO nothing beats reclaimed timber for flooring, with all the dints and dents to make me think of its stories from the past.

I remember attending a party with my Uni mates during my 18th year on this earth. That old mansion's ancient wooden floor drew us like a magnet to groove on it with a smooth tune played on the host's upmarket ghetto blaster -"I just called to say, I love you! And I mean it from the bottom of my heart..........."

That's what I want next. A reclaimed wooden floor to reclaim some of my memories. The only problem is that I'll have to buy a new (I mean, old) house to suit that. Oh, well.
Old 06 June 2014, 02:18 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

is it solid oak only your after? some of the laminates now are very good compared to what they were years ago and alot more hard wearing

Have a look at the Balento Olympic Range its around £15 per metre and its perfect for people with kids/pets. Theres an acoustic underlay already attached to each board we laid it in our living room and it looks great, literally silent to walk on too.

My dad was a floor layer by trade and he said he was very impressed with it and for something that can take a bit of a beating he would look no further. Beveled edge boards tounge n groove so no glue needed. Easiest floor ive ever laid.

http://www.floormonster.co.uk/floori...inate-flooring
Old 06 June 2014, 04:37 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth, I replace solid oak flooring a year or so ago with laminated stuff.
The real wood marked very badly I found.

The replacement flooring was also tongue and groove, and looked very easy to fit - well the fitter made it look easy anyway!
Old 06 June 2014, 06:00 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

I have wood flooring from floors 2 go. I also had a leak, struggled to match it. Got some partial wooden flooring from b&q 18mm. Sanded the whole floor down a few months later and used flooring varnish. My advice make sure radiators are okay, the actual floor is level either latex to get a level surface or green board insulation tiles. Think u would need at least 15mm thick, the thicker the better. Also real wood expands, moves so allow a gap around the outside as u don't want the boards to cup
Old 08 June 2014, 10:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Thanks people, got lots of information off DIY forums too. I posted it here in part to see if anyone here had any useful tips (thanks again to those who have posted) and of course in true NSR style to let you all know how f**king massive my room is

BTW Google is obviously broken so next up I need some 'reassuringly expensive' holiday advice
Old 08 June 2014, 06:49 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

F1 if it's laminate get quick step brand they pretty much invented it, if you need oak, find a local joiner, Howden can get oak proper old school hall **** for just over 20 quid don't pay 45 you'll have ya leg lifted. 45 is b and q prices.....

What about karndean inlaws have it everywhere it's bulletproof and look real
Old 08 June 2014, 07:10 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Thanks people
No problem ,always willing to help
Old 08 June 2014, 10:28 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks people, got lots of information off DIY forums too. I posted it here in part to see if anyone here had any useful tips (thanks again to those who have posted) and of course in true NSR style to let you all know how f**king massive my head is

BTW Google is obviously broken so next up I need some 'reassuringly expensive' holiday advice
Old 09 June 2014, 11:21 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

You should have that massive chip on your shoulder milled, I'm sure you would have more than enough wood to cover a room twice that size.
Old 09 June 2014, 11:40 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
You should have that massive chip on your shoulder milled, I'm sure you would have more than enough wood to cover a room twice that size.
And what chip would that be exactly?

This should be good
Old 09 June 2014, 12:00 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

All the advice above is spot on from my "unskilled DIY enthusiasts" view.

I used a company called Flooring Sensations in Preston to supply mine some 7 years ago now, and I'm now at the point where (it has had some serious hammer) I need to refresh it as it's starting to look a little too rustic

My house has different levels of flooring, and unfortunately has seen a lot of integral transformations whilst the flooring has been in situ, so I've had to adapts area to suit (not yet finished). The open plan post flooring laid (already being down for 5 years) was the worst, so I whittled a bridge for now, but intend on putting some quad folding doors on at some point so all that will look tidy.

As for installation, as said mine had variable floor heights from concrete to wood boards, so I used a glue called SikaGrip which is a construction adhesive mainly used for expansion gaps on bridges, it offers the adhesion needed and a good amount of flexibility that is required.

Dark picture I know.

You can see where it needs refreshing, but the hammer this has had over 7 years it's remarkable it's still going strong. This is the worst area in the house as it sees high traffic from kids and pets with all sorts on their feet and paws

...........and to be clear, this was £12.50 per sqm which was a bargain. My last house had floors2go planks at £45 per sqm and it was a slightly better quality, but I knew we were doing this house up over a reasonable period, so an expensive plank would have been sole destroying to see it being treated in the way this one has.

Rob
Old 09 June 2014, 12:06 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
All the advice above is spot on from my "unskilled DIY enthusiasts" view.

I used a company called Flooring Sensations in Preston to supply mine some 7 years ago now, and I'm now at the point where (it has had some serious hammer) I need to refresh it as it's starting to look a little too rustic

My house has different levels of flooring, and unfortunately has seen a lot of integral transformations whilst the flooring has been in situ, so I've had to adapts area to suit (not yet finished). The open plan post flooring laid (already being down for 5 years) was the worst, so I whittled a bridge for now, but intend on putting some quad folding doors on at some point so all that will look tidy.

As for installation, as said mine had variable floor heights from concrete to wood boards, so I used a glue called SikaGrip which is a construction adhesive mainly used for expansion gaps on bridges, it offers the adhesion needed and a good amount of flexibility that is required.

Dark picture I know.

You can see where it needs refreshing, but the hammer this has had over 7 years it's remarkable it's still going strong. This is the worst area in the house as it sees high traffic from kids and pets with all sorts on their feet and paws

...........and to be clear, this was £12.50 per sqm which was a bargain. My last house had floors2go planks at £45 per sqm and it was a slightly better quality, but I knew we were doing this house up over a reasonable period, so an expensive plank would have been sole destroying to see it being treated in the way this one has.

Rob
Cheers Rob.

Yes I am rapidly coming round to the idea that you don't need to spend a fortune on this stuff after all/

I am thinking laminate as a) I want it less resistant to 'dents' from, for example, the plethora of hot chicks I have in my pad wearing 4 inch stilettos and little else... oh sorry I was dreaming there and b) because it does seem to be cheaper than solid wood and with a bit of luck I will be selling this place later this year so not sending a fortune is good.

Quick Reply: Wood flooring