Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just a cough/cold? Or more sinister?

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2014, 01:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Just a cough/cold? Or more sinister?

How the HELL do you know?

I've been suffering with a cough and what I thought was a recurring cold for about five weeks now.

Yesterdays visit to the docs produced a diagnosis of fairly serious bronchitis, and I've been referred to the hospital for an X-Ray to check for lung damage etc, and placed on large anti-biotics.

But how do you KNOW???? How not to waste the doctor's time?
Old 29 April 2014, 02:15 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
How the HELL do you know?

I've been suffering with a cough and what I thought was a recurring cold for about five weeks now.

Yesterdays visit to the docs produced a diagnosis of fairly serious bronchitis, and I've been referred to the hospital for an X-Ray to check for lung damage etc, and placed on large anti-biotics.

But how do you KNOW???? How not to waste the doctor's time?
Anything more than 3 weeks that hangs around I go and see the quack just in case.

I was medically discharged from the RAF when I had Bronchitis, Pleuricy and Pneumonia all in one go... so know how you feel

Put me in hospital, anything chesty now in I go for a check up..
Old 29 April 2014, 02:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duration over 3 weeks, weight loss, chest pain, coughing blood, shortness of breath, persistent fever are all very good reasons to see the Doc. Most of the people that come with respiratory infections don't have any of these features so if you have at least one you're certainly not wasting our time.
Old 29 April 2014, 02:48 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

So if you make your appointment on the day of your first sniffle, the dcotor will be ready to see you just on cue

(and they wonder why people go to A&E on a regular basis)
Old 29 April 2014, 03:00 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
So if you make your appointment on the day of your first sniffle, the dcotor will be ready to see you just on cue

(and they wonder why people go to A&E on a regular basis)
Not at ours, can only make an appointment on the day so mad scramble to get through at 8am finally getting through some 10-15 minutes later to be told there are no appointments left please try again tomorrow.
Old 29 April 2014, 03:11 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

It really annoys me when I finally get a appointment with the doc and arrive 5 minutes early, my docs has one of those led boards that beeps and scrolls patient name and room to go to but always flashes about 5 names before mine and the waiting room is completely empty.

People who book appointments and then don't turn up or cancel should be made to pay in my book for time wasting.
Old 29 April 2014, 05:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by john banks
Duration over 3 weeks, weight loss, chest pain, coughing blood, shortness of breath, persistent fever are all very good reasons to see the Doc. Most of the people that come with respiratory infections don't have any of these features so if you have at least one you're certainly not wasting our time.
Had the first, third, fifth and sixth.

Now I just feel ill and tired all the time, though not sleepy.
Old 02 May 2014, 11:03 AM
andylinney
Scooby Regular

Just make yourself an appointment and get down there, I work in a GP surgery and in truth, the only time-wasters are the people who don't bother turning up.

If it's causing you problems or concerning you in any way then that's reason enough to get it checked out.
Old 02 May 2014, 05:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had a cough for over 30 years, yet my missus has a friend and her mother went to the doctors as she had a bad cough for 3 weeks and she was diagnosed with cancer.
Old 02 May 2014, 05:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Risk of cancer relative to symptom duration has a peak and tails.
Old 02 May 2014, 06:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by john banks
Risk of cancer relative to symptom duration has a peak and tails.

I'm just saying two tales The later is an extreme and no one would expect it plus she is about 70
Old 03 May 2014, 06:30 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

work long hours truck driver never see a doctor never can get appointment had a cough for 4 years plus not dead yet i go to hospital instead not my fault no one caters for me
Old 04 May 2014, 09:15 AM
andylinney
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
work long hours truck driver never see a doctor never can get appointment had a cough for 4 years plus not dead yet i go to hospital instead not my fault no one caters for me
You've got a bunch of options. If you call your surgery when they're closed you'll get details of the out of hours service, failing that you're likely to also have drop in services nearby. It might also be worth looking at changing surgery if you're having a problem getting an appointment, there are a couple near us that do telephone triage with a Dr that morning and others that have open surgeries where you can just go along and wait your turn on a day off.

Please do get checked out soon though, as a GP practice manager I have the task of handling and investigating incidents and I've seen three in the last six months that honestly shocked me where people who've been otherwise well become terminally ill and pass away in months due to lung cancer.

It's like putting your car into a service, yes it's inconvenient and often means taking time off but ultimately it's worth it.