Notices

Potential Diff problems??

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2007, 10:23 AM
Gangle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Potential Diff problems??

I have recently started having problems after a medium to long run/motorway run. When reversing on medium to full lock is feel like its juddering, and a it’s little clunky from the rear. Almost like it’s biting and letting go, like something slipping perhaps. Hard to be precise but it’s quite noticeable as passengers even feel it.
But on short runs to work etc of 30 mins I do not have this problem at all.

First time it happened, good old paranoia set in and I took it round my mate’s garage and had it up on the ramps, checked everything and only found some very slightly worn anti-roll bar bushes on the front.
The wheels were harder to turn at the back as opposed to the front one, but presumed that was because you’re spinning the prop shaft also...?
So my theory is that its heat related. So is this an oil issue, breaking down thinning out or is there something more sinister going on here? I replaced all fluids last June and used Silkolene Sliktran Syn 5 for the rear diff.
Should I just replace the oil with something else and see what happens before I do any damage?

Any help would be appreciated and I know I asked several questions here…
Old 21 May 2007, 10:34 AM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Morning Mate,
Nothing to worry about as mine does exactly the same thing. I'm far from an expert but when mine 1st starting making the Diff noises its sounds like something is about to fall off. When I had a Remap I put the Qestion to the Mappers and he said that depending on where you have set the diff it will clunk when you have the wheel turned quite a bit. If you don't like it, pull the hand brake a touch which relases the Diff (see manual) If I'm correct the diff shouldn't clunk if you have the Diff in AUTO or completly open I.e roll it backwards so the arrow goes right down. See how you get on matey.

Alexppp
Old 21 May 2007, 12:22 PM
Gangle
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, but mine's a 2000 UK and doesnt have adjustable Diff.
It only does it when hot after a long run and doesnt produce any noise at any points either, just feely clunky..
Was aolso wondering if it were loose on the mounting plate or too much play on the prop sahet it would do it all the time i guess... Still confused..