Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Don't cap my benefits, bbc1

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2014, 09:27 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't cap my benefits, bbc1

People on low income are being moved to Birmingham leaving London for all the rich.

Last edited by paulr; 10 April 2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10 April 2014, 09:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No such animal
Old 10 April 2014, 10:06 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

they system seemed to work as most of them on the program are now in jobs.....which was the whole point of the cap.
Old 10 April 2014, 10:17 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A little gobsmacked at how much these people were getting; for nothing!

London property is mental; something has to give soon.
Old 10 April 2014, 10:42 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
they system seemed to work as most of them on the program are now in jobs.....which was the whole point of the cap.
It was interesting how they had all moved back, even if it meant living with friends.
Old 11 April 2014, 01:37 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
A little gobsmacked at how much these people were getting; for nothing!
Are you talking about landlords or other rent-seekers?
Old 11 April 2014, 10:52 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I watched the program.

Summary:

He has been in the UK for 23 years, does not work, has spawned lots of kits, gets £500 a week allowance for housing - paid for by the taxpayer.

There is an empty/cheaper house in Birmingham that will accommodate his family.

His recurring argument for not moving, was that his kids would have to move schools and leave friends behind.
Just like people who move house in order to find work.

Trending Topics

Old 11 April 2014, 11:17 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Pretty much ^.
I moved from Yorkshire to Kent because of a job opportunity a year ago. We had to sacrifice all of the above.
Old 11 April 2014, 11:20 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hol
I watched the program.

Summary:

He has been in the UK for 23 years, does not work, has spawned lots of kits, gets £500 a week allowance for housing - paid for by the taxpayer.

There is an empty/cheaper house in Birmingham that will accommodate his family.

His recurring argument for not moving, was that his kids would have to move schools and leave friends behind.
Just like people who move house in order to find work.

Sounds reasonable to me. I'd love a 5 bed family home in Hampstead Village. Unfortunately I don't have £10 million, so I have to live somewhere else. Same principle as far as I'm concerned, I have to live somewhere I can afford.

If my income dropped I might have to downsize or move to a cheaper area than the one I live in. That's my problem, not the tax payers.
Old 11 April 2014, 05:24 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Sounds reasonable to me. I'd love a 5 bed family home in Hampstead Village. Unfortunately I don't have £10 million, so I have to live somewhere else. Same principle as far as I'm concerned, I have to live somewhere I can afford.

If my income dropped I might have to downsize or move to a cheaper area than the one I live in. That's my problem, not the tax payers.
The logic being that because you must work hard, others must to?

Don't you like work?
Old 11 April 2014, 05:38 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

Don't you like work?
1. Do you read the Guardian by chance?

2. Nobody likes work?

3. In what way did his post offend you?
Old 11 April 2014, 06:45 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Don't you like work?

Sorry but that post makes no sense at all. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 11 April 2014, 06:50 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Sorry but that post makes no sense at all. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
You should read your post again. You seem to be resenting them because they don't work.
Old 11 April 2014, 07:14 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

You should read your post again. You seem to be resenting them because they don't work.

I think you are trying to read to much into his words.

He obviously did not think 'I resent them' when he wrote his words. Otherwise, he would know exactly what you meant - and would not have to ask.

It seems that you therefore owe him an apology?
Old 11 April 2014, 07:19 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Are you talking about landlords or other rent-seekers?
Both.

In 2004 we rented a pretty nice apartment right on the Thames with views over every London landmark (6th floor), a pool, a gym, concierge service and secure parking for £1500pcm. Most of these were living in absolute s**t piles for well over £2000pcm

A friend of ours has a massive place opposite Emma Thomson in Hampstead; the dad passed away a while back but was never loaded (definitely comfortable). That house must be worth absolutely nuts money now!

Never needed or wanted to buy a place in London but I do envy mates of mine who have moved back down here from London and kept a small place there and rented it out.

I still stand by my theory that it WILL all collapse or at least drop like a stone one day but I do wonder if that'll be in my lifetime. Strangled housing supply just seems stronger a "pull" than a completely ruined economy.
Old 11 April 2014, 07:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

London will only collapse if the major commercial, media and financial sectors that base themselves there move out. Not to forget the politcal and legal establishments too.

There are few global cities that hoard all of its eggs in one basket, so to speak. Currently its self serving (i.e all policies and business operations are aligned to benefit the city the most). However eventually it should by rights consume itself - when everything becomes too expensive. Cheaper alternatives will be sought, ruthless people will not have loyalty of a city that damages their bank balance.

Its happening with housing, as demonstrated, not just by the poor but by the rich.....how many people live outside of London yet commute into it everyday? Thats because the higher wages are still within London. Its part of the argument for HS2, so someone can spend less money on a large house out in the sticks for apartment money and still have their nice job. Break that link (the jobs/wage levels), and the city will sink.

Obviously I'm biased, but I guess its only fair the rest of the UK gets a bigger piece of the pie. Rather than the dregs of benefit claimants being shipped up north.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 April 2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11 April 2014, 07:38 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

It was hard to be sympathetic at someone moving away from one "free" house to another when that place was costing taxpayers £25k++ a year.

It's harsh but it's far less harsh that getting kicked out onto the street to fend for yourself like would happen in many Nations.

If you have no job, don't bloody well have loads of kids...
Old 11 April 2014, 07:47 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

It was hard to be sympathetic at someone moving away from one "free" house to another when that place was costing taxpayers £25k++ a year.

It's harsh but it's far less harsh that getting kicked out onto the street to fend for yourself like would happen in many Nations.

Ouch!!!:

Be prepared to be called everything from a little Englander to a destroyer of the universe - by the usual tree hungers on here,
Old 11 April 2014, 08:07 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol
1. Do you read the Guardian by chance?

2. Nobody likes work?

3. In what way did his post offend you?
You're wasting your time.

TDW is a professional offendee.
Especially when someone has worked harder and achieved much more than she has.

Which is everyone.
Old 11 April 2014, 08:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It has to be said; Today I've been listening to the woes of lady who does our payroll who has had new neighbour....Jobless mother of five on benefits, rent paid by council. This family fits every stereotype going, so I don't even need to repeat it here, becuase you lot will already know what kind of family they are, and if you work, you are paying for them.

Anyway.

Why have kids when you have no stable employment, sure one "accident" maybe. And teh odd loss of one long term job. But three, four, five kids and STILL no job? Sorry nice dice.

Also hve kids when you aren't in a stable relationship, sure one "accident" again, maybe. But how many "accidents" do you need to have? I could knock the mother easily on this (rather than knock up ), but I'd also happily take a meat cleaver to the nadgers of the guys responsible if it meant my taxes would go down.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 April 2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11 April 2014, 08:56 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

One of them had SKY TV, I just had to cancel mine as I couldn't afford it.

The African lady who hadn't had a job in 12 years was complaining about the size of the lounge, same as mine and I share with 3 others but I've been employed every day bar 3 days since I was 16.

Didn't one of them get moved back as his job was too far away? So they go back to the same cycle of paying £500 a week on rent and then more top ups no doubt. I'm sure they wont be the only ones either.

The cheek of some of these people.
Old 11 April 2014, 09:22 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Both.

In 2004 we rented a pretty nice apartment right on the Thames with views over every London landmark (6th floor), a pool, a gym, concierge service and secure parking for £1500pcm. Most of these were living in absolute s**t piles for well over £2000pcm

A friend of ours has a massive place opposite Emma Thomson in Hampstead; the dad passed away a while back but was never loaded (definitely comfortable). That house must be worth absolutely nuts money now!

Never needed or wanted to buy a place in London but I do envy mates of mine who have moved back down here from London and kept a small place there and rented it out.

I still stand by my theory that it WILL all collapse or at least drop like a stone one day but I do wonder if that'll be in my lifetime. Strangled housing supply just seems stronger a "pull" than a completely ruined economy.
It's become self-evident to us that property is a 'dead cert' and a clever investment, but you wonder why this wasn't so decades ago. Was everyone just stupid? Nobody realised this?

Mal-investment into rent-seeking assets is to do with the tendency of the Capitalists rate of profit to fall over the long term. With productive assets not yielding enough profit the investment goes elsewhere...into unproductive or rent-seeking assets/industries such as property and finance.

On top of that you do also have a growing population (due to immigration) and a lack of new home building, and also an element of crowd behavior made worse by the moral hazard of the bail outs and other interventions, but the main driver is structural IMHO and affects western economies primarily.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 11 April 2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11 April 2014, 09:29 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

We should remember that the 'cost' to the taxpayer is totally contingent upon our system of private property and furthermore the way the state has promoted the interests of property owners. Property isn't a 'natural' cost, it is totally imposed.

Throwing someone out onto the street and blaming the market is just a way for us to evade responsibility. We threw them out, not invisible hands.
Old 11 April 2014, 10:03 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I find it hard to believe that there can be so many father less kids around and no one can find the fathers to support them.
Old 12 April 2014, 05:54 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Build more tower blocks somewhere that doesn't mess up my view of anywhere that I choose (and have paid taxed income) to go. I know it's not going to be a popular viewpoint with some people. However, stick all the scumbags in a high density area and the Feds can have a field day picking them off at will. Some say that sink estates are a breeding ground for criminal behaviour and are highly likely to lead to many arrests for anti-social behaviour by residents. I say, what. Labour tried the experiment of blending low cost housing into higher rated areas (for votes. I truly hate Blair) it did not work. Keep unto your own. The last thing I want is some time served ex banker being housed next to me! God almighty, can you imagine the conversation over the garden fence?

When the wife and I smuggled ourselves into Hertfordshire from a foreign county - we had no checks at the border, but we arrived in our own transport. We even had our own money. Imagine that! We have paid NI since we were of an age to work, apart from a 12 month gap (Me) we have both paid into the pot for the country year in and year out.
We employ a gardener and a housekeeper. Both have been with us for over 10 years and both are on the books and NI / Tax is paid.

In all honesty, Some of the worst people I have ever met or encountered are generations old British born working class whites. Having said that, there are far more diamonds in that demographic than turds. At least with a home grown scumbag you can only expect to get a decent stabbing or having your play station stolen. This foreign sort (not going to specify Nigeria or what not) will smile to your face and bleed you dry.

Rant over.

I took a French self defence class last night

I have never been so knackered.

I haven't run that far in years
Old 12 April 2014, 08:55 AM
Pigman149
Scooby Regular

The woman from Ethiopia came here with no kids from what I could work out then banged a couple out then wanted the state to put her up in a nice house in London. F@@k off back to your mud hut in Ethiopia if you don't like the free house.
The other bloke 7 kids under 9 years old only a part time job, again f@@k off back where you come from if you don't like it.
One woman said " I don't want to move from London my kid'S dad'S live here, they are splitting up family's". Keep you f@@king legs shut love.
Old 12 April 2014, 10:10 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigman149
The woman from Ethiopia came here with no kids from what I could work out then banged a couple out then wanted the state to put her up in a nice house in London. F@@k off back to your mud hut in Ethiopia if you don't like the free house.
The other bloke 7 kids under 9 years old only a part time job, again f@@k off back where you come from if you don't like it.
One woman said " I don't want to move from London my kid'S dad'S live here, they are splitting up family's". Keep you f@@king legs shut love.
How eloquently put!
Old 12 April 2014, 10:46 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I was a dairy farmer in shrewsbury and worked about 90-100 hours every week.I only had a day of every month or so and had worked my backside of to get there.Then one day I got sick which ended with me being in hospital for a year and now need to feed via a line to my heart.I have lost my home my job my years of savings and had to move.These people have some cheek to think they should have everything given to them.No one has give me a thing and I will soon be back up and running so to speak.Its a great thing to be able to work hard and provide and these s**T's are just lazy .If they don't like it they should just f**k off.
Old 12 April 2014, 10:51 AM
dazsti72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
How eloquently put!
But so true.
Old 12 April 2014, 11:16 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

it is true you work hard pay into the system and when you need help you get nothing. If you have never done anything paid into the system or even care you get everything.

IMO I think those who pay in should benefit from help when it is needed, those who haven't should be made to do some sort of job, clean streets etc and paid min wage for it at least they will be giving something to the system and it will take pressue off the rest.

Maybe they could go round filling pot holes that'll keep em busy for a while.