Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Riding Pillion

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2014, 02:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Pillion

I have a grown up mid-twenties daughter who shares a flat in Bristol with an old pal. Now her flatmate has just bought a Vespa 125 cc scooter to commute in Bristol. She has no bike experience but will take some very brief training as required including an extra session to let her carry passengers.
My daughter has told me she intends to have some rides as a pillion passenger and I don't like this idea at all as this is the most dangerous type of transport, per passenger mile, that there is.
I have told my daughter that I am not keen on the idea but she is adamant that she will be safe and why am I fussing. Of course she is free to make her own decisions and I usually just let her get on with her own life.
But for some reason this worries me.

Am I being over cautious?

David
Old 20 March 2014, 02:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I would say it's normal parental concern, and I'd share the same sentiment if my son was to say the same thing to me (might be a few years before he does, though he has been chattering away about wanting morrobike, seems petrol heads start very young these days!)

If she wanted / had the Vespa how would you feel? If her flatmate wanted to ride pillion with her, how would you feel?
Old 20 March 2014, 02:19 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Every parent worries mate. My parents are petrified of me being on the bike for pleasure and work however ive got a lot of experience threw work on the bike for the ambulance service so ive had to undertake a lot of extra courses. You have every right to worry about your daughter mate but theres nothing you can do as they will do as they see fit and tell the nagging parents to back off. I still get grief of my mum n dad and partner when im on the solo response bike on a blue light run so the only thing i can suggest you do is be supportive towards your daughter. At least its only a vespa mate so eont be capable of doing more then 50mph. She could have told you she was going out on a r1 fireblade gixxer etc
Old 20 March 2014, 02:24 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unless the the flatmate completes a full motorcycle course with a test at the end, she can't ride with a pillion. It is not legal to carry a pillion passenger if you've only completed the CBT.

Show her some pictures of girls who've come off the back of bikes, there are loads on the internet, none of them make good viewing

If that still doesn't sway her, tell her to make sure she always wears decent clothing, boots, jeans and a good jacket as an absolute minimum, if she comes off wearing leggings and stupid shoes (as a lot of young girls round here seem to do ) She'll regret it for the rest of her life, if she's lucky
Old 20 March 2014, 02:31 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

****edited by webteam****

Graphic image below of a "de-gloved" foot (de-glove = flesh/skin torn off the bone). DO NOT CLICK if you do not like seeing blood and guts etc.

DO NOT CLICK IF EASILY OFFENDED BY BLOOD+GUTS/GORE etc.

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 March 2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: removed image, replaced with link for the gore fans
Old 20 March 2014, 02:34 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

In a way I think she would be safer being on the back of a proper bike with an experienced rider rather than on a stupid, underpowered, scooter. I remember when they were in fashion (mods & rocker days) and they were lethal in the wet with those tiny wheels.

Good point about what clothes to wear. A decent bike jacket will be around the £100 mark?

David
Old 20 March 2014, 02:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bean1984
removed
I don't want to see that

d

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 March 2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: removed quote
Old 20 March 2014, 02:48 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

I spent just over £1500 on my gear. Go out buy a decent jacket with armour on it. My rst jacket with shoulder, elbow, spine protection cost me £200. Pop down to the local bike shop with her n chat to them.

That picture was some idiot who was wearing flip flops n come off a sports bike
Old 20 March 2014, 02:53 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I,d be worried too TBH. Unfortunately there is very little you can do other than hope she comes to her senses soon mate. I felt exactly the same when my lad got his first scooter, I was convinced he was going to come to some harm especially when I was getting reports of him riding like an idiot!!!!
Old 20 March 2014, 04:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I remember the traffic police visiting our school with graphic photos, the most disturbing to most of the girls was gravel rash.

My parents did me a deal: they subsidised me a car, insurance and tax until I could pay my way, if I, in my turn, never had anything to do with bikes.
In my turn, I've done the same to keep my lads clear of them too.

In my thirty years working in schools, more than one child per year was killed on bikes...and no, they WEREN'T all other road users' faults
Old 20 March 2014, 05:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i witnessed a guy being torn in half, coming off his yamaha RG500 on the Westway, just before the Paddington turn off

i drove over his leg, still in his leathers and biker boots!!!!!

I have always had immense respect for the two lorry drivers who, parked their rigs and to went to him - as he lay dying in the outside lane

apparently he was a fireman - on his was to the Euston road fire station

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 20 March 2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 05:47 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If either of my kids came home with a motorbike I would burn it. In front of them.

I frequently tell them that now - and they are only 8 & 10.....

I live in a relatively rural town, and *EVERY SINGLE WEEK* in our paper is a serious injury or death of a motorbiker in the area - its on the way to mid wales - they flock to it.

I did jury service in October - one of my cases was car vs bike - lady motorcyclist killed outright...

NEVER EVER would I willingly let my kids ride a motorbike...

Sorry if that offends - but that's just the way it is.
Old 20 March 2014, 08:53 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I started riding motorbikes about 5 years ago, and I wish I'd done it sooner.

Yes, of course it's dangerous, but it's also tremendous fun, and provided you're one of them, fellow bikers are among the finest people you'll ever meet. To my mind, the greater risk is to die never having experienced the great things which life has to offer.

There are some simple precautions you can take to improve your chances. Wear proper bike kit *every* time you go out, especially boots, as bike injuries tend to be more severe lower down the body. Advanced training is really worthwhile too; its reputation for being 'dull' is ridiculously undeserved.

Ride safe out there, and have fun. They're not mutually exclusive.
Old 20 March 2014, 09:04 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
i witnessed a guy being torn in half, coming off his yamaha RG500 on the Westway, just before the Paddington turn off

i drove over his leg, still in his leathers and biker boots!!!!!

I have always had immense respect for the two lorry drivers who, parked their rigs and to went to him - as he lay dying in the outside lane

apparently he was a fireman - on his was to the Euston road fire station
That would mess my head right up. Grim.
Old 20 March 2014, 09:08 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

It goes against the grain to think this as I believe in personal freedom & hate nanny state interventions but I would like to see a minimum legal standard for bike wear as per the helmet.
In the summer I have seen numerous people on powerful sports bikes wearing tee-shirts,shorts & trainers.They may have a helmet so they are 'legal' but what the hell do they thing will happen if they come off?
Old 20 March 2014, 09:29 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Normal parental worrying there.

Don't know the legalities of carrying a passenger with only a CBS but def worth checking and even more worth the new biker spending some quality time in a car park getting used to the scooter and then used to having the extra weight on the back prior to taking it on the road.

Loving the horror stories from the anti-bike brigade. I've been riding legally for over 25 years and at least 10 before that. My eldest is 9 and already rides a 125cc Dirt bike and the new lad will be following suit when he gets older. Up to them then if they want to ride road bikes but at least they'll know how to handle a bike first just as I did.

It's not automatically a death-wish riding a motorbike (or being a passenger on one) but yes you are somewhat more vulnerable so having the right kit is a very good idea. I used to ride scooters in shorts and flip-flops on my hols as a teenager and never had a spill but definitely wouldn't do it now being older and a little bit more wiser.

If the only thing that's got you worried is her being passenger on a scooter it looks like you did a great job of bringing her up as there's plenty of other things out there that would have me worried
Old 20 March 2014, 09:39 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a fair bit of experience on bikes and my parents disapproval had no effect at all - at least not a negative one.
In this case, we are talking about occasional rides on the back of a Scooter ridden by her female friend.
Not on the back of some 160 MPH Sports bike ridden by her spotty testosterone riddled boyfriend.
Whilst I wouldn't be too happy as a parent, you are at the better end of the potential spectrum.
As long as she wears a helmet, I'd say she is little more exposed to danger than she would be on a pushbike.
Let her have her bit of fun and hopefully she will lose interest.
Old 20 March 2014, 11:23 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just skimmed through so may have missed it but you also need to be insured for carrying a pillion, you may be able to use this extra expensive to put the owner off?

I ride a bike and also wish I'd done it sooner, they are dangerous ( usually down to other road users ) but you can't go through life worrying about what might happen, I've had a couple of near misses on the bike......... I've also very nearly been ran over by a speeding taxi while I was drunk so......

As for people who go out in the summer wearing shorts and vests etc, let them get on with it I say its only going to end in tears for them.

Mick
Old 21 March 2014, 02:04 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

The accidents ive attended in my line of work, id put it down to a 50/50 average of whos to blame in accidents. If your the type of numpty that thinks its safe to filter threw stationary traffic at 50mph your gonna come off worse. Unless the traffic is going less then 20mph i wont filter but when i do i dont exceed 20mph. If you come off at 20mph you should come off with minor injury but thats not always the case. As i said before hand tho David, being a biker dosent automatically mean your going to die, it just depends on how well you can read and react on the road. If you make it knowen that your against it with a passion your daughter will more then likely just go out to prove a point if that makes sense but if you support her then she wont feel like she has a point to prove too you mate
Old 21 March 2014, 04:19 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As above, i'm pretty sure you need a full bike test to carry a pillion.
Old 21 March 2014, 04:30 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
You can do it on a restricted license however you need to contact the insurance as well
Old 21 March 2014, 08:06 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Ok I stand corrected. Presumably things have changed since my day

You could always pop round and let her tyres down, if she's anything like the birds I know she'll be completely flummoxed.

Scratch that, she'll probably do what my Mrs does with the car, not notice and drive it anyway.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 21 March 2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 21 March 2014, 08:10 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Originally soon as you turn 21 and you had a full license you can jump on a 1000cc suzuki so in order to stop this now you can only ride over 250cc once your over 25 so the have an A1 class and A2 class which is different level off restrictions. I think one of them allows you to ride up to so many kw output
Old 21 March 2014, 09:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe go halfs with her on a small car?

Mate has gammy foot can't run on it - came back from Canada and first ride back here sunny day didn't bother with the boots, seconds miss judgment and sliced his foot off very nearly all the way through under a lorry. Only one surgeon decided he'd have a go at it - all the rest said amputate. Before that he was quite an athlete
Old 21 March 2014, 09:32 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the horror stories I'm sure that's exactly what he wanted to hear.
Old 21 March 2014, 10:08 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by alcazar
My parents did me a deal: they subsidised me a car, insurance and tax until I could pay my way, if I, in my turn, never had anything to do with bikes.
Same here. At 16 when I said I'm going to get a moped my parents told me they'll pay for 10 driving lessons and insure me on my mums car if I waited a year. The only time I have ever been on a bike was when I was 30 - my mate had just restored a 125 bike and I just wanted to learn how to ride one. 2 hours in an empty carpark and I mastered it Never got on one again
Old 21 March 2014, 12:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the interest and comments guys. Quite a few things that I hadn't thought about so that helps.

I thought there might be more comment of the fact that the plan was to ride a small wheeled underpowered scooter as I reckon that's more prone to falling over than a proper bike.

In fact I commuted to central London on a small Honda for years and the most dangerous aspect was that I couldn't quite go as fast as the rush hour traffic and cars brushed past me just a few inches away. But I survived and it was fantastic for commuting and no exhorbitant parking costs (I worked at Millbank).

I don't really share the "life is for fun so let her get on with it" philosophy but don't think she is some wimp please. She has hiked up the Inca Trail and survived some horrendous bus trips in the Andes mountains.

I worked with a guy who did a regular 20 mile commute in all weathers on a Honda 600. Sensible chap who rode carefully. He reckoned that on average he came off about once a year. Typically slippery leaves, ice on the roads or a daft motorist. He was still in one piece when I left the company

I've told my daughter not to expect me to visit when she is A&E but I think she knows that I am joking on this

Safe riding.

Oh and one extra story. I was asked to give a talk to a veteran motor cycle club about bike engines and was given a very friendly welcome by the old boy in charge. He had one one arm and there were a few other limbs missing in the room and a couple of wheelchairs at the front. Says it all really

David

Last edited by David Lock; 21 March 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 21 March 2014, 05:32 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Correct!
Old 21 March 2014, 06:08 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

If you are really lucky, she will buy all the right gear, enjoy it at first, then slowly she will hate getting wet and cold, having nowhere to put her stuff, and then her hair will become an issue, that's when she will pack it up. And you will sleep easy again.