Osborne's vote chasing Budget

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2014, 04:49 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Osborne's vote chasing Budget

This budget shows if you give him enough goes (this is his 5th), even an idiot can get some things right!

It was a brilliant budget for a man with very little wriggle room and whose economic mistakes have condemned us to 5 more years of cuts to pay for the huge govt debt his austerity measures have run up in the past 4 years. After all he was supposed to have reduced the deficit to zero this year but instead his policies will add £118Bn to the govt borrowing credit card bill in this year alone.

His growth predictions are welcomed though nothing more than what happens in an economic cycle after any recession. And even he had to mention that the upward economic growth predictions are dependent on a fragile European recovery. (Are you listening, you Euro-sceptic flat-earthers?)

But I have to give him some credit because even though few of us will be any better off in real terms over the next 5 years he’s managed to throw some crumbs to more groups than any other budget statement I’ve listened to.

He’s targeted:
- pensioners
- low income earners
- middle income earners
- savers
- businesses
- manufacturers
- exporters
- motorists
- charities
- first time buyers
- publicans
- brewers
- drinkers
- Scots
- gamblers
- polluters
- Financial Advisers (many thanks, Mr O ) …

Have I missed out any group of core voters? No? Then even I have to admit: that’s quite some feat!
Old 19 March 2014, 06:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What's he given motorists?

EVERY budget in my lifetime has TAKEN from motorists......
Old 19 March 2014, 08:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar

Motorists are the spawn of the devil, surely you know that by now
Old 19 March 2014, 08:45 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

The planned petrol raise isn't happening.
Old 19 March 2014, 08:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
The planned petrol raise isn't happening.
Yes but that is not giving anyone anything. If I say that in a few months I will take £100 off you and then tomorrow say I won't have I given you a £100.... nope!

He's been doing this for years now and it is political bollox in the extreme!
Old 19 March 2014, 08:55 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

By my calculations most motorist will be £5 worse off with the standard VED rises.

Richard
Old 19 March 2014, 08:58 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

If this was a labour budget it would be classed as wreck less borrowing. Funny how nothing really changes.
Old 19 March 2014, 09:21 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Potholes.

And please try and avoid asking me questions that if I answer will make me sound like some fan-boy of that vote-chasing tw*t.

Last edited by SouthWalesSam; 20 March 2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 19 March 2014, 09:29 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

In a years time there will be another hung vote and I bet it will be labours turn to run the country again but will it be with the Lib dems or Ukip
Old 19 March 2014, 09:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Every thing labia says is designed to make them more appealing to the voter

- only we know now they just havnt got anything
Old 19 March 2014, 10:18 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VED is going up
Old 19 March 2014, 11:14 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot bingo goers.....

Shaun
Old 20 March 2014, 07:31 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
This budget shows if you give him enough goes (this is his 5th), even an idiot can get some things right!

It was a brilliant budget for a man with very little wriggle room and whose economic mistakes have condemned us to 5 more years of cuts to pay for the huge govt debt his austerity measures have run up in the past 4 years. After all he was supposed to have reduced the deficit to zero this year but instead his policies will add £118Bn to the govt borrowing credit card bill in this year alone.

His growth predictions are welcomed though nothing more than what happens in an economic cycle after any recession. And even he had to mention that the upward economic growth predictions are dependent on a fragile European recovery. (Are you listening, you Euro-sceptic flat-earthers?)

But I have to give him some credit because even though few of us will be any better off in real terms over the next 5 years he’s managed to throw some crumbs to more groups than any other budget statement I’ve listened to.

He’s targeted:
- pensioners
- low income earners
- middle income earners
- savers
- businesses
- manufacturers
- exporters
- motorists
- charities
- first time buyers
- publicans
- brewers
- drinkers
- Scots
- gamblers
- polluters
- Financial Advisers (many thanks, Mr O ) …

Have I missed out any group of core voters? No? Then even I have to admit: that’s quite some feat!

Sam, I'd be interested to hear what you think he should have done when he came into power? ie what alternative path would you have followed?
Old 20 March 2014, 09:16 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

The day after, I'm thinking it was not such a good budget. A few quid here and there, but where is the economic vision. The only way to improve everyone's lot in the long run, is to boost the economy by getting people back to work, to work more productively and boost growth.
I'm not a labour supporter, but they do have a point about youth unemployment. They are our future workforce, and there was nothing.
What would I like to see.

1. A new version of the enterprise allowance scheme to help people start a business.
2. A quality standard for apprenticeships. End the Mickey Mouse ones, supported by a huge advertising campaign.
3. Encourage the sponsorship of people who do degrees by companies, so that there is an end result.
4. Linked to number one, a scheme to give people 6 months exemption of business rates if they re-open one of the thousands of empty shops there are.

I think that would win votes. I don't really care if mrs pink rinse from the littlehampton bridge club gets a few extra quid from her granny bonds.
Old 20 March 2014, 11:00 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Read Stephanie Flanders article in the FT. On the same line as what i said, no vision for jobs or growth. He should have invested in skills and infastructure.

His budget was like those crap insurance policies where you get a free pen. Crap chancellor, but dont worry, you get a "free" £100 off your tax bill.
Old 20 March 2014, 11:36 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

It beats me why your average indian (as opposed to chief) would expect anything substantial from any Budget, let alone one where the State are skint.
Certainly as someone who has spent their life as either single or shacked up in sin (metaphorically speaking for the most part) I can't think of a single Budget that has affected me in anything other than a trivial way.
In this Budget the childcare nonsense winds me up but has no significant effect on me directly.
The mistake I and my parents probably made was signing me up to the crew of HMS Row Your Own Boat while the biggest queue was enlisting with HMS Hand Me That Crutch or HMS I've Got My Hand Out.
The film 'A Few Good Men' often comes to mind at times like this, with Jack telling the court 'You can't handle the truth'. Any party telling the electorate the truth would have absolutely no chance of getting elected because the majority of the public can't accept the truth, and most are concerned only with what they are getting in their back pockets irrespective of the bigger picture.
Pragmatism is dead.
This 'Cost of Living' BS is getting really tedious, although predictable as it's the only card Labour have to play.
Budget aside, I would like HS2 to be scrapped. Most people never use trains because you can't go when you want at short notice door to door, a service provided rather well by 2 or 4 wheels. Spend half the money released (partly) fixing the roads and the rest on whatever the hell you want (I'd rather the whole lot went on the roads but I'm a pragmatist so I would take it on the chin).
Old 20 March 2014, 11:42 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
It beats me why your average indian (as opposed to chief) would expect anything substantial from any Budget, let alone one where the State are skint.
Certainly as someone who has spent their life as either single or shacked up in sin (metaphorically speaking for the most part) I can't think of a single Budget that has affected me in anything other than a trivial way.
In this Budget the childcare nonsense winds me up but has no significant effect on me directly.
The mistake I and my parents probably made was signing me up to the crew of HMS Row Your Own Boat while the biggest queue was enlisting with HMS Hand Me That Crutch or HMS I've Got My Hand Out.
The film 'A Few Good Men' often comes to mind at times like this, with Jack telling the court 'You can't handle the truth'. Any party telling the electorate the truth would have absolutely no chance of getting elected because the majority of the public can't accept the truth, and most are concerned only with what they are getting in their back pockets irrespective of the bigger picture.
Pragmatism is dead.
This 'Cost of Living' BS is getting really tedious, although predictable as it's the only card Labour have to play.
Budget aside, I would like HS2 to be scrapped. Most people never use trains because you can't go when you want at short notice door to door, a service provided rather well by 2 or 4 wheels. Spend half the money released (partly) fixing the roads and the rest on whatever the hell you want (I'd rather the whole lot went on the roads but I'm a pragmatist so I would take it on the chin).
As unlikely as it sounds I couldn't agree more, spot on post!
Old 20 March 2014, 12:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I literally laughed when I saw his gift to motorists...frozen fuel duty.

Yeah, like he could do anything else, when the crazy prices have already knocked a hole in his revenue from it.
Old 20 March 2014, 01:17 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I literally laughed when I saw his gift to motorists...frozen fuel duty.
He's a ball bag!

Its like we're supposed to be grateful that fuel duty isn't increasing.
Anyway, that'll be thanks to FairFuel
Old 20 March 2014, 04:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Nope, it's due to the fact that his revenue is MASSIVELY down from fuel due to the stupid prices.

Has anyone else noticed that the fuel companies have ALSO not "HAD" to put prices up lately???
Old 21 March 2014, 11:16 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Sam, I'd be interested to hear what you think he should have done when he came into power? ie what alternative path would you have followed?
@Dingdongler, Sorry, I didn’t see your question yesterday.

It’s often forgotten/ignored that the economy wasn’t in recession when Osborne became Chancellor.

It was Osborne’s pursuit of US-style, ‘small govt’ dogma using the excuse of ‘deficit reduction’ that’s brought us the painful cuts and austerity and caused so many so much pain and left us with 40% more on the national debt credit card so far.

He’s finally realised what all good Keynesians (including Brown/Darling) knew all along: you can’t close a deficit just by cutting, you have to do it by stimulating growth and increasing the tax take from that.

The massive increase in govt spending in 2008/09 was a one-off splurge to save the banks, avert unemployment and protect the UK economy from the impact of a worldwide (BRICS apart) recession. So the deficit was set to fall anyway. However it gave Osborne the excuse he needed and a big stick to beat Labour with.

So as Chancellor from day one I’d have:
- Continued to apply a good dose of Keynesian reflation
- Allowed a stepped increase in inflation (to 5% say)
- Built infrastructure and houses
- Supported exports
- Discouraged non-EU imports
- Taxed polluters heavily
- Taxed some of the ‘sacred cows’ that even Osborne wouldn’t to protect his core voters

I can be more specific if you want, but I only get worse if you encourage me…