Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

For general info, tickets etc see:-
Old 15 September 2001, 07:14 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Chris

Missed last year the first year since "I were a lad" as I was unable to walk ( missed the Broad street bash too ) so it's all new now . I know it's an all ticket event now but is it possible to park in fields and walk onto stages like I've done for the past 17 years ?? or do they make you but the tickets in advance ?? £25 per ticket for the day seems a bit rich compared to the good old day's of £6 per car, what worries me is if I pay the £25 and try and can only get to 1 satge ... so how was it last year, traffic problems ?? or like the old days, 'cause I'll pay the £25 if I thought I could see the event the same as 10 years ago ....

K
Old 15 September 2001, 08:31 PM
ChrisB

I'm interested.

I've never been before (such a sheltered childhood!), but like Kev how many stages can you watch on one day?

If indoor accomodation is required, I would have thought it would needs be sorted ASAP. I'll bunk in a car with my sleeping bag though.

I'm happy to pax (with a decent driver ) and share petrol or I can drive (probably have a pax space available myself then).

ChrisB.
Old 15 September 2001, 09:34 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

I will be going regardless of work

May have a pax seat but no extra as I am removing the inside of my car soon, not too sure if it will be before or after the rally. And a warning to potential paxes, I would advise you to have a try paxing a short distance as stiff suspension set up is not to everyone's liking. I am still getting used to it!!!!

Michelle.
Old 16 September 2001, 12:59 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Due to the 'compact nature' of the event is is possible to get to several stages, but as the days are not too long (unlike the eighties ) your best bet is to concentrate on just two per day, even if it is the same one run twice.

The Forest pass does make it easier to get in and out and did cut the crowds down last year, Kev - I remember it <B>doubling</B> to £2/car

With this year being even more compact & expensive than last years event I can see real problems if the thousands who previously went to Sweet Lamb heads south.

Accomadation may be difficult so if you plan to do that get it sorted quick.

I will sleep anywhere, so am not too bothered. A party in the forest is great if the rain holds off

Chris
Old 17 September 2001, 10:30 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Chris,
Yeah I`ll be down there from the 22nd-25th Nov.

A word of warning for those looking for a place to stay. I phoned around yesterday in the Cardiff area, most places seem booked up already. Eventually managed to get the last available room at Travel Lodge (Cardiff East)
so getta move on.

A good time to see all the teams/cars is at the pre-rally shakedown which usually happens in the Forest of Dean a few days before the event. Its easy access/parking and its FREE.
I will post details when I`ve got them.

Cheers
SCOOP
Old 17 September 2001, 10:59 AM
ChrisB

Bivvy bag in the forest it is then!

Have to dust off the Trangia I think.

ChrisB.
Old 18 September 2001, 11:20 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

I would like to go to this. I have sod all camping stuff though. I am willing to buy some if I go. Would you all be meeting somewhere and going round together?

Ive been meaning to go to a rally for yonks.
Old 18 September 2001, 11:43 PM
GraemeF
Scooby Regular

I'll be there as usual, wont be doing the thysen rally sprint, waste of money and a complete let down last year!!

I'll just be venturing in the forest's with my forest pass... I'll be buggered If I am paying £125 for the "World Rally Pass" that gives you everything! sod em'

Booked my travel lodge, just need to raise the height of my scooby before the trip south!

see you all in the forest, in my waterproofs, with seat, umbrella and lots of soups, pot noodles and CHOCOLATE!!

Old 18 September 2001, 11:53 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

The best way has always been to sleep over at the stage carparks the night before. You miss the crowds in the morning and it makes it easier to see 2 or 3 stages in the day. Do not bother with the Cardiff super special. Unless there is now grandstands you cannot see a thing. Make a point of a night in Cardiff. It's not the same now it is a 'compact' event. I can remember doing in excess of 1000 miles over the course of the Rally ( Sunday to Wednesday ). It's not the same without Kielder !! Charlie Whiskey , is it me or did it snow more during the rally 10 or 15 years ago LOL.
Old 19 September 2001, 06:15 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

I can remember it being -8 ( with ice on ya shoulders ) in Grizedale and Kankkunen at the stage start waiting for his oil temp to rise before he would start the stage

It never seems to snow now I've done Kielder in the snow as well as the lakes and Wales, even got stuck at Chatsworth a few years back

ahhhh the good old days . . . . .

K
Old 19 September 2001, 08:45 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

.... I remember the days ....

.... Not the same as it used to be ....

.... When I was a lad ....

.... Only a bag of gravel for my lunch ....

.... Used to walk 30 miles to school ....

Cheers

Ian
Old 19 September 2001, 01:24 PM
YOUNG GED
Scooby Regular

Hi CW

I'll be there as usual.If the other half comes along it'll have to be a travel lodge but other wise I'll sleep in the forest with you guys(oo er) if thats what your doing.
Let me know your plans.

Chris
Old 19 September 2001, 04:20 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ian

Kev
Old 19 September 2001, 05:16 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Me and my better half (+ a various assortment of friends & rellys) are going. Being a southern softie and girlie I like a bit of home comfort so as usual we've rented a cottage near Llandovery, very handy for the Crychan, Halfway, Trawscoed etc stages

We'll be going to the above & Rheola 2, was gonna do Rheola 1 & 2 (as usual) but 1 is gonna be v. early and still dark when we get there so we may give it a miss. It's an hours yomp up to our favorite speccie spot -Sarn Helen - and I'm not sure I'll make it there by 6.am in the dark 'cos I'm a big wus Does anyone know how to get there by the track that goes up there? I'd be willing to pay for access

Sal
Old 19 September 2001, 06:43 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure that Sarn Helen had a traffic regulation oreder slapped on it a few years ago ie no vehicular access

BAG OF GRAVEL !! You were lucky

[This message has been edited by Slippy Diff (edited 19 September 2001).]
Old 19 September 2001, 06:52 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Is anyone else from Shropshire thinking of going?

Old 19 September 2001, 07:32 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Eeeh you had it lucky!

When I worra lad you had to park up ont' A68 and walk 7 miles, thought' snow up to Ogre Hill, only to have the bludy stage cancelled 'cos some o't' non-scandinavian drivers couldn't cope we a bit o'ice neart' start! <I>I always remember Juha Kankunens quote: 'MY Mother in Law could drive up that!'</I>

Ey, young people o'today? Don't know the'born!

But at least we had overnights in Kielder, Group B Quatro's, Grizedale, RS200's, Twiglees, Michelle Mouton!

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 19 September 2001).]
Old 19 September 2001, 10:31 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Oh, I remember.....

Standing out in Grizedale all day and always (it seemed) in howling blizzards (or similar). But as now, wouldn't miss it for anything.

Saying that, I get less excited about going every year. Maybe because it isn't like the "Week around Britain Tour" and all the planning that used to go into it. Either that or I'm turning into an old git and will start watching coverage on BBC instead.

Nah

Cheers

Ian
Old 19 September 2001, 10:49 PM
ChrisB

Question

Old 19 September 2001, 11:56 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Aye , and if you tell em that , they don't believe you !
Old 20 September 2001, 02:53 PM
PeeK
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Guys

Has anyone camped overnight in the forests before?

Any advice on this would be appreciated as we might give it a go if its feasible/allowed.

Can't wait, not long now!

Cheers.
Old 20 September 2001, 08:43 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Peek: it is not so much 'camped' as dossing in a car/van/camper etc.

I have done exactly that every year since 82 ('cept 85 when I was a little bit more invloved in Nottingham )

It can be bitterly cold! You end up with the car dripping on the inside from the condensation! You get woken up by folks tramping past your car! - But I wouldn't miss it for the world.

You get first choice of parking, you can have a few beers and maybe a BBQ and a few more beers You are never very far from the stage, you don't have to get up until half an hour before the stage start & you can have a laugh with your mates in the forest.

This years event has even shorter days that last years, so we will probably be eating in a pub in the evening before going to find a nice spot to park up & party.

<I>The above is not recomended for those who need their beauty sleep, can't sleep anywhere or those who take offence to others being pished at 1 in the morning - so you lot should be fine! </I>

I have worked out what I think is the best way to tackle this years event but I'm not gonna post it here for all to see, except that it involves three stages on Friday, two on Saturday & one on Sunday.

If you fancy coming with us in a group ( or even meeting up for a day/stage) drop me a line on
Old 21 September 2001, 10:32 AM
PeeK
Scooby Regular

Cool

CharlieWhiskey

Last year we all set off at about 4 in the morning! None of us had gone to bed so we were knackered by the end of the day!

I'll see what the others want to do and I'll let you know where we're going. I think there will be about eight of us.

Sounds like a good laugh dossing in the forest though!

We'll be in a Legacy. I don't ever see many Legacy saloons on the road but there was loads at the rally last year!

(I must try and get those mud flaps fitted before I go)

If I don't see you, have a good one. I'm sure you will.

Old 21 September 2001, 04:27 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

You can guarantee though that somebody starts setting off fireworks in the car parks at about three in the morning
Old 21 September 2001, 07:12 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Too True!
Old 21 September 2001, 09:41 PM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by CharlieWhiskey:
<B>Too True! [/quote]

Yeah, probably that Ward bloke!

Oh, all things allowing, I should be 'employing' Mr Whiskey as my guide to rally.

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 21 September 2001).]
Old 21 September 2001, 11:15 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Complemented admirably by his cousin in my hip flask

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ChrisB:
[B] Oh, all things allowing, I should be 'employing' Mr Whiskey as my guide to rally. B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto Chris, just need to check my co driver can still cope with inebriation in the evening and frostbite in the morning.
Old 21 September 2001, 11:20 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Sorry Chris, but my professional status means that I unable to supply pyrotechic effects without consuming a HUGE amount of CASH (£1000/min for the good stuff!) anyway we would NEVER be allowed to set them off willie nillie!

CAT3! Shells et al, leave it to the Pro's!

I remind everyone that fireworks are dangerous and that any use outside the manufacturers instructions makes it a Cat3 display & therefore illegal except by suitably trained operatives! I thank you

I <B>WILL</B> report anyone I see breaking this!!!!

BTW you are both welcome & I will post you routes etc. ASAP

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 22 September 2001).]
Old 23 September 2001, 12:08 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Those who expressed an interest should have email.

Quick Reply: Network Q Rally 22-25th November