My new car (first Subaru)

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2010, 04:27 PM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new car (first Subaru)

Hiya :-)

Just went down to the local car garage and bought (on impulse) a nice new (to me haha!) Subaru Impreza WRX STI.

I'll try to attach a few pictures if I can. I don't know whether its the WRX 265 or WRX 301 model, which I assume is the power (bhp)? Can anyone tell just by looking at it? Oddly enough, the more powerful version is cheaper by about £80 to insure! I do know its a 2005 model!

Anyway I pick it up on Saturday so looking forward to that!

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 27 April 2010, 04:42 PM
dazzaturbo
Scooby Regular

nice!
Old 27 April 2010, 04:46 PM
Jamesae86
Scooby Regular

looks gorgeous mate best of luck with it, exactly what I'd like if I ever sell my type r!
Old 27 April 2010, 04:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to check with a dealer, take the chassis code and reg number, they will tell you if its ppp'd or not.

Tony
Old 27 April 2010, 04:50 PM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys!

I bought it completely on impulse, was getting a bit fed up of my old car having bits drop off it so I thought I'd try something a bit more powerful. I've gone from a 1.4 litre 72bhp car to this, so it should be an experience!

And I've never driven anything with more than 130bhp before, apart from a Porsche 993 that I had a go on for about 3 minutes, 10 years ago!

Last edited by sharpy2010; 27 April 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 27 April 2010, 04:59 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Very nice, 1st check to see if it has a prodrive exhaust as this would indicate it has the ppp pack, many available second hand though so could have been added on later to a standard car, if ppp'd then will have a certificate with it so ask the dealer to check the paperwork.

Enjoy
Old 27 April 2010, 05:02 PM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

It definitely has the Prodrive exhaust, it also has a K&N induction kit. The standard induction kit has also been left in the boot for me, just in case I want to put that back on.

I'll see what happens when I go there on Saturday as to whether theres a certificate with it, but either way, I'm happy enough with the purchase!

Cheers,

Chris!
Old 27 April 2010, 05:13 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

nice buy
Old 27 April 2010, 05:15 PM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

Welcome, hope you enjoy your new car and the forum. It's exactly the same as my last STi. I can tell you that in your future you will have less beer money and you will be best freinds with your local Shell Station attendant.... but its worth it.

Just a note, these cars require some basic knowledge to keep them running right, if you already knew this... sorry. Be sure to run this car on the correct fuel, warm/cool the turbo properly and check the oil very regularly... you wont go far wrong.

Enjoy it!

Scott
Old 27 April 2010, 05:40 PM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shot8un
Welcome, hope you enjoy your new car and the forum. It's exactly the same as my last STi. I can tell you that in your future you will have less beer money and you will be best freinds with your local Shell Station attendant.... but its worth it.

Just a note, these cars require some basic knowledge to keep them running right, if you already knew this... sorry. Be sure to run this car on the correct fuel, warm/cool the turbo properly and check the oil very regularly... you wont go far wrong.

Enjoy it!

Scott
Hi Scott!

Thanks for the advice! As far as the turbo cooling down and warming up is concerned, I knew that (or at least assumed it to be the case) but only because my mate has an EVO 9 and he told me, otherwise I wouldn't have known.

I'm also guessing the fuel needs to be at least Super Unleaded, is that right?

Thanks for the pointers!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 27 April 2010, 05:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you need super unleaded, take the Krap and N off and revert back to the standard air system, just go with a good panel filter, if its a PPP'd car then you may not want to do that, especially if you have gone up over 4 times the BHP, there is a fair bit of difference in power

Tony
Old 27 April 2010, 08:24 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Looks mint mate!
Old 27 April 2010, 09:08 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bet you cant wait, looks mint btw

wiley
Old 27 April 2010, 09:40 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks minted , enjoy the power and take time to get used to mate
Old 28 April 2010, 12:06 AM
webbo34
Scooby Regular

It looks stunning mate !!!!! enjoy ,,
Old 28 April 2010, 02:28 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Really appreciate all your kind comments and hints and tips guys!

Yes I'm VERY much looking forward to getting it, it will be my first *proper* performance car.

Is there any reason that the K and N filter and induction kit thing isn't any good?

I'm hoping its also got a De-cat, as my mates Evo has one and it sounds great!

Last edited by sharpy2010; 28 April 2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 28 April 2010, 06:59 PM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sharpy2010
Really appreciate all your kind comments and hints and tips guys!

Yes I'm VERY much looking forward to getting it, it will be my first *proper* performance car.

Is there any reason that the K and N filter and induction kit thing isn't any good?

I'm hoping its also got a De-cat, as my mates Evo has one and it sounds great!
Hi Chris, Yeah as Tony pointed out, super unleaded, Tescos99 or Shell V-power is your best bet (has it been mapped?) The standard airbox with an Sti panel filter in it is best. K&Ns look great but at the end of the day Subaru designed it with like that for a reason. Air induction kits that go down into the wing are another alternative.... But you've got a PPP Sti...It don't not need modifying...

P.S, Not in Pembrokeshire R U?

Last edited by Shot8un; 28 April 2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: cos i can
Old 28 April 2010, 09:05 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

lovely mate its exactly the same as im getting shortly. as said take your time getting used to it as it will most certainly be an experience compared to the 130 bhp your used to!
Old 29 April 2010, 02:26 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris, Yeah as Tony pointed out, super unleaded, Tescos99 or Shell V-power is your best bet (has it been mapped?) The standard airbox with an Sti panel filter in it is best. K&Ns look great but at the end of the day Subaru designed it with like that for a reason. Air induction kits that go down into the wing are another alternative.... But you've got a PPP Sti...It don't not need modifying...

P.S, Not in Pembrokeshire R U?
Hey :-)

I've just found out its the 265Bhp one, its not a prodrive, although it does have the prodrive exhaust. If I'm honest, I'm not particularly bothered!

Like I think I said in my first post, the previous owner has left the standard air induction kit in the boot so I can go back to that if I wish to.

I dont know if its been mapped, but I'm expecting to find out all these finer details when I pick it up on Saturday...

It probably sounds like I have no idea what it is I'm buying, but I did actually do some research before I took the plunge, honest!!!

No I'm not in Pembroke mate, Cardiff!
Old 29 April 2010, 02:27 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zippy!
lovely mate its exactly the same as im getting shortly. as said take your time getting used to it as it will most certainly be an experience compared to the 130 bhp your used to!
Dont forget, the 130 bhp car I had was over ten years ago, since then I've been driving a car with something like 75 bhp!!!! This is going to seem like a monster in comparison!

I'll be sure to be very careful indeed!!!!!!

I bet you cant wait to get yours? When will that be?
Old 29 April 2010, 02:29 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

And thanks to everyone whos said it looks nice, I think it looks awesome
Old 29 April 2010, 09:47 AM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

U got insurance sorted yet Chris?
Old 29 April 2010, 10:13 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Nice tidy blob STI

but

The dealer will most likely have no clue if it's been mapped or not, if it's got a K & N cone filter (CAI) on it, I hope it has! it's not a good idea to run theml with the standard map and a CAI... either way..get that K & N cone off it asap..get a panel filter (K & N, STI or Cosworth) back on.

At some point I'd take it down a R/road and check it's output.... you would not want to be driving a mapped car when it's been insured as a standard one...

imho that CAI would ring alarm bells it's been "tinkered with"

Last edited by scooby L; 29 April 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 29 April 2010, 11:02 AM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car if your in cardiff pop along to club meet next Wed details on Welsh section

Get car mapped with Bob Rawle in Swindon
Old 29 April 2010, 11:33 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

U got insurance sorted yet Chris?
Yep, Insurance is all sorted, £530 fully comp for the year which I don't think is particularly bad!

My current insurance company wouldn't quote for this car so I've had to start a brand new policy, no doubt there'll be a bit of grief getting hold of my no claims bonus from the current company and giving it to the new one, but hey ho!
Old 29 April 2010, 11:37 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
Nice tidy blob STI

but

The dealer will most likely have no clue if it's been mapped or not, if it's got a K & N cone filter (CAI) on it, I hope it has! it's not a good idea to run theml with the standard map and a CAI... either way..get that K & N cone off it asap..get a panel filter (K & N, STI or Cosworth) back on.

At some point I'd take it down a R/road and check it's output.... you would not want to be driving a mapped car when it's been insured as a standard one...

imho that CAI would ring alarm bells it's been "tinkered with"
Hiya

Like you say, I'd imagine the dealer wouldn't know if its been mapped or not, but I'm hoping there will be paperwork to confirm this. If not, I'll give the previous owner a quick call and check all the details with them.

I'm hoping it hasn't had much more than the air filter changed (although like you say, it will be a good idea to get the standard one back on anyway).

Does the car have to be remapped every time something gets changed in the engine? This seems quite expensive to me at about £600 per map? Not that I'm planning on changing anything anyway, I just want to use it to go about my daily business!!
Old 29 April 2010, 11:38 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S204 Glenn
Nice car if your in cardiff pop along to club meet next Wed details on Welsh section

Get car mapped with Bob Rawle in Swindon
Just had a look at BRDevelopments website, they arent too far away so a trip down there could be imminent!

I'll have a look at the details of the meet and if I can make it, you'll see me there!
Old 29 April 2010, 11:44 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sharpy2010
Hiya

Like you say, I'd imagine the dealer wouldn't know if its been mapped or not, but I'm hoping there will be paperwork to confirm this. If not, I'll give the previous owner a quick call and check all the details with them.
Give the previous owner a call... the dealer will know didly swat... they'll be no paperwork if it's not a PPP (which you've already said it isn't).

Does the car have to be remapped every time something gets changed in the engine? This seems quite expensive to me at about £600 per map? Not that I'm planning on changing anything anyway, I just want to use it to go about my daily business!!
No... it only needs re-mapping if anything major is altered...and a charged air filter/cone filter changes the breathing characteristics of the engine enough to make it safer/worthwhile to get it mapped correctly... with a CAI they can run lean on full boost... which will kill the engine.

Getting it de-catted (like your mate's EVO) wil also require a re-map... otherwise you'd have boost spiking, engine warning lights and all sorts.

£600 for an Ecutek map includes the initial license, so any further "tweeks" needed (if you change the injectors/turbo etc) will be £300 odd..

An alternative is non ecutek mappers, who do not have that license to add to their fee... as a result, a map costs £350odd and any further mapping is £150

The trick is to get all your planned mods done in one go..then only need to fork out one re-map fee.

Last edited by scooby L; 29 April 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 29 April 2010, 12:16 PM
donthaveascoobie
Scooby Regular

looks great I'm new to the world of Subaru too, although i've owned a few quick cars over the last 10 years or so. Jumping from a 75bhp car should be an experience! have fun
Old 29 April 2010, 03:02 PM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donthaveascoobie
looks great I'm new to the world of Subaru too, although i've owned a few quick cars over the last 10 years or so. Jumping from a 75bhp car should be an experience! have fun
Hey, thanks!

Everyone here so far has been really positive, I'm looking forward to being an active member of the forums!!

Roll on Saturday, just two days to go! I've just bought insurance for the Subaru, which I managed to get in the end for £521 fully comp :-)

How long have you had your Subaru for?

Quick Reply: My new car (first Subaru)