Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

My First Scoob: White V4 STi

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2010, 04:57 PM
Smo_GSR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My First Scoob: White V4 STi

I picked this up last weekend as the replacement for our '98 Spec JDM DC2 Integra Type-R to cope with the new addition to the family!

It's a late spec '98 JDM Version IV WRX STi. She's only done 49,000 miles and I'm the first UK owner. They are 280bhp standard and the only modifications are the Speedlines, Zerosports Spoiler and FSE Twin-Piston BOV.

She's immaculate, very happy with the purchase. Lovely car, plenty of space (3 storage compartments in the front) with a huge boot. Perfect!

Had a small teething issue with the ICV and a faulty delimiter which I've sorted so all good.

My only plans (considering it's our family runaround) are to fit a cat-back exhaust of some description, because it's a crime for Scoobs not to burble, and to fit JDM numberplates.
Old 23 April 2010, 05:36 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you find it in comparison to the integra? Oh and nice car btw

Dan
Old 23 April 2010, 05:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice they are 276bhp by the way (280ps)
Super unleaded only, v4's are mapped for 97 ron, your ecu isnt mappable unfortunately and the brakes suck (amazingly with 276bhp you have 294mm front brakes, my astra diesel has bigger front brakes and stops better )
Make sure it has a good alarm, is fully converted as per the SVA specifications (you would be shocked by the ammount that just get "mot'd" through bad garages and dont have fog lights or mph conversions which are law) so check to make sure it does
Underseal isnt standard on these so another thing to check for.
Oh and the JDM numberplates, not legal, standard rectangular plates due to the fact that they can be fitted.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 23 April 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 23 April 2010, 05:46 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Tony- Theres not much you dont know is there lol.

Dan
Old 23 April 2010, 05:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I like my JDM's but been on here 10 years, you tend to pick the odd thing up

Tony
Old 23 April 2010, 05:49 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezaworks
Tony- Theres not much you dont know is there lol.

Dan
And all information from Tony comes without any patronisation (if that is indeed a word). Im always interested to see what he has to say.
Old 23 April 2010, 05:52 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

she looks a good 'un
Old 23 April 2010, 05:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The OP will get the modding bug shortly straight to group buys i think

Tony
Old 23 April 2010, 08:43 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Nice
Old 24 April 2010, 08:26 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Very nice, not sure whether I like the rear spoiler, but it suits and is different from the rest
Old 26 April 2010, 02:47 PM
Smo_GSR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezaworks
How do you find it in comparison to the integra? Oh and nice car btw

Dan
Good question - the Integra handled much better. The Impreza suffers more body roll and tends to understeer ever so slightly although I've found that the Impreza is more comfortable at the edge of grip - balancing the throttle leading to power on the way out of the corner whereas the Integra was less predictable at the limit. The Integra was also a lot more responsive on turn-in, braking and light throttle.

Power-wise the Impreza has it hands down, obviously. That said the Integra was more of a drivers car and more 'fun' in that respect.

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Very nice they are 276bhp by the way (280ps)
Super unleaded only, v4's are mapped for 97 ron, your ecu isnt mappable unfortunately and the brakes suck (amazingly with 276bhp you have 294mm front brakes, my astra diesel has bigger front brakes and stops better )
Make sure it has a good alarm, is fully converted as per the SVA specifications (you would be shocked by the ammount that just get "mot'd" through bad garages and dont have fog lights or mph conversions which are law) so check to make sure it does
Underseal isnt standard on these so another thing to check for.
Oh and the JDM numberplates, not legal, standard rectangular plates due to the fact that they can be fitted.

Tony
Thanks for the correction and detailed post bud. I'm not interested in modifying this car aside a cat-back exhaust, it's my runaround to get the Mrs and the baby about the place and for going back and forth to work. I have another car that I spend my pocket money on

One of the first things I noticed however was that the brakes were awful. I've got a Toad Ai606 alarm going in, I've had it on my past 4 cars so I'm familiar with it, not to mention they're going fairly cheap on eBay at the moment!

I wasn't aware that MPH conversions were law and must say I'm a little dubious - both my current cars are in KMH (including the Impreza) and one of those has been in the UK for years and passes an MOT each time, I've even been pulled and explained to the Policeman at my window that the car was in KMH and he didn't have a problem with it.

Also regarding the JDM numberplates - it was my understanding that the numberplates (JDM square) were perfectly legal as long as they fit the requirements for the country of origin (hence how European cars can drive our roads). This is the first JDM car I've ever owned which hasn't had JDM numberplates so I don't think that can be right either?

Originally Posted by beef-on-the-bone
she looks a good 'un
Cheers bud

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Nice
Thanks!

Originally Posted by JonMc
Very nice, not sure whether I like the rear spoiler, but it suits and is different from the rest
I wasn't entirely sure on the spoiler either - I had planned to flog it on and replace it with a V5/6 high-rise spoiler until I discovered how much the Zerosports one cost! Not to mention it has grown on me as being unique.