Old 09 June 2008, 11:44 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit of a facelift

Well 'someone upstairs' decided my car needed some re-styling

This happened yesterday

GUTTED!!!!!

When a car has an argument with a wall the car will always come off worst. Luckily, or not so luckily I have not had the repair bill for it yet, but it was a dry stone wall so the wall took most of the impact force and saved me from a hell of alot more damage.

Got the old girl back to the house this afternoon and proceeded to strip it this evening with the help of my mate Dave K, thanks again Dave.

all the junk

looking at this I am gonna have to fit a catch tank when rebuilding the car to prevent the oil from going into the new front mount intercooler when fitted

in the words of Arnie, "I'll be back!!!!"

Last edited by CupraDave; 12 August 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10 June 2008, 12:26 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

omg! WAS such a sweet car as well, bad luck mate Look at it this way, it will be like new when sorted
Old 10 June 2008, 12:33 AM
ISLANDMAGEEZER!
Scooby Regular

Oh you hate that mate! What happened??
Old 10 June 2008, 07:20 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

christ that would happen to a fellow red classic too . in a twisted way im glad mines for sale so hopefully i never experience that, id be really gutted
Old 10 June 2008, 09:05 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

jesus dave..those are horrible pictures
cant belive it was only a week or so ago that I was admiring the other pics of the scoob that you had taken and now this. You seem remarkably calm and are already working on getting it sorted so good man

just out of interest. It looks a bad front/offside crash, what about the integrity of the shell and the engine bay ?

are you intending to get it fixed ?
Old 10 June 2008, 09:28 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

gutted for you, shame it had to happen to one of SN nicer cars...on a morbid nots; what happened?
Old 10 June 2008, 09:37 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Looks expensive m8 gutted for ya.
Does it just need a front end or you going to have to jig it?

Are the police taking any interest/action? I noticed the police car behind one of your shots
Old 10 June 2008, 09:52 AM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Truly gutted for you mate that was one sweet car, and I'm sure it will be again. Always sad when this happens, all the best mate at least no serious injuries
Old 10 June 2008, 09:54 AM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

thanks for the condolences guys

I use that road nearly everyday and have gone round that corner many times, even sideways, but for some reason when I went round it on sunday and the rear broke away instead of keeping the boot in as I would normally do I had a brain meltdown and lifted instead

I was not calm on Sunday after it happened Chris and the first copper on scene was an ****. Initially he asked if I could have the car recovered, I replied yes and he told me to make the call, so I did. However between me organising recovery and the truck getting there the copper changed his mind and decided I was not allowed to recover it to home and the car had to go to the test centre for the vehicle examiners to have a look at it to make sure the car was legal, he obviously clocked some of the mods and presumed it had been build in a garden shed or something.

the examiners did not tell me if they found anything but I would say it unlikely they did given that my new suspension parts and tyres had been on less than a month and the front disks less than that, and I dont think I would have had the car back so quickly if they had found something

The copper cautioned me for dangerous driving, but dont see how that charge could stick as no one else was involved and no one saw the accident, a doo gooder came across the aftermath and I had already cleared the road but straight away called the cops with out checking if I was ok or if the emergency services were even required

will not be claiming for the repair as the insurance would write the car off due to age of car and cost of repair for them, I have already sourced everything from the windscreen forward from a MY98 car

My mate who does the work on my car I cant do myself came out last night to have a look, he builds and repairs rally cars for a living and says he has fixed a hell of alot worse. He has arranged for a fella to come out to look at it today hopefully to see how much of a tug on the jig it will need to straighten it out

all the damage is forward of the suspension and luckily for me there is no suspension damage which is really pleasing given as I say the coilovers, anti roll bars and bits have been on less than a month

Last edited by CupraDave; 10 June 2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10 June 2008, 09:57 AM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Oh and I was on one of the Islands many de-restriced roads so no speeding charge
Old 10 June 2008, 10:10 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes me wanna throw up mate. Absolutely gutted for you, it was only the other day you posted such sweet pics of it.

Really glad you're uninjoured and that the car can be fixed. You seem in good spirits about it and i wish you the best of luck in getting it back on the road.

Nobody likes to see stuff like this so if we can help in anyway shape or form.

Let us know, all the best

Frayz
Old 10 June 2008, 10:39 AM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate

I am alot happier now I have her home and have been able to strip her to see the extent of the damage

I will take some more detailed pics this evening of the inner wings and things

On the up side, at least now I can now justify crystal lights, spots and indicators. I also have a decision to make about what front bumper to refit, do I do the facelift one or not? or maybe a 22b rep
Old 10 June 2008, 10:43 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh my god, hope ur ok...
wiley
Old 10 June 2008, 10:43 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you pal, as Swiss said it was only 5 minutes ago that I was admiring those pictures that you had recently taken! Still, certainly seems like you are staying positive and hopefully you'll keep us posted as it gets back to its former glory!
Old 10 June 2008, 12:02 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bad news mate. Its good to see you are positive about getting it back on the road.
Old 10 June 2008, 01:00 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

you have to be positive really dont you, if I was not looking forward then nothing would get done

I still feel like sitting in a quiet room and having a cry but I just keep saying to myself it will be back bolder and better when fixed

am just a little impatient now to find out what Ed has to say about straightening it
Old 10 June 2008, 01:37 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i only came to this thread as i thought you might have painted the black bits

unlucky
Old 10 June 2008, 02:03 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

I had painted the black grill red only a week before this happened when I had the rear arches rolled now I need a new one
Old 10 June 2008, 02:06 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Flippin' heck Dave, that looks bad, were you OK? Well done for getting straight on with the repair though!
Old 10 June 2008, 02:09 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Not nice. But at least it sound like its salvagable.

Its amazing what some people can do to put cars back together.

Good luck
Old 10 June 2008, 03:17 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt want to put that back together

yes it will look fine once fixed, but the impact tensions just aint gonna be the same next time
Old 10 June 2008, 04:45 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Not keen on the restyle myself, think it looked loads better before!

Seriously though its not a nice thing to see, a smashed up scooby, but i know what your feeling cos I smashed my old RED classic up too, and I was devestated!!! (Bloody trees!!!)
Old 10 June 2008, 04:57 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mellinator
i wouldnt want to put that back together

yes it will look fine once fixed, but the impact tensions just aint gonna be the same next time
and that is your preference mate, but you have not seen the car so you dont know the extent of the damage

I have a crew of experts around me who I trust and have fixed cars far worse than mine not to mention I have put far too much time, money and effort into my car just to 'throw it away', they would tell me it was not fixable to a legal and safe standard

the damage is really not that bad after investigating last night as I previously mentioned all the damage is all forward of the suspension so should be a straight forward repair and be just as strong as before if not stronger

besides this is my keeper so no one else will have to worry about it and as I say I trust the guys doing the work I cannot

Last edited by CupraDave; 10 June 2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10 June 2008, 06:39 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

no fair point mate, sorry i wasnt trying to get your back up.
Old 10 June 2008, 06:56 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gutted for you mate. When i saw the thread title i wondered what you had done to improve the car after seeing the cracking pictures you posted a while back. I am sure you will get it sorted out and back on the road soon. As you mentioned before its an excuse for a few upgrades as well.
Old 10 June 2008, 06:58 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

ouch . looks nasty . hope to see it back togrther soon mate
Old 10 June 2008, 07:05 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Ouch! sorry to see it...
Which road was it? if its not too painful to say?

And slightly off topic but isnt agreeing to a caution an admission of guilt? Anyone? for future reference or not (hopefully).
Old 11 June 2008, 04:05 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

How can you agree/disagree to a caution? The copper cautioned me then asked if I had anything to say in response to the charge, I did the best thing I could and kept my big gob shut

Cheers for all the comments folks, it means alot. Am having a serious down day today, it has finally hit home what has happened and how much work it is gonna take to sort

I had a call this afternoon about the jig work, the fella went out to look at the car and said it is gonna be about £600 to pull it straight. Its gonna work out to about £700 (give or take) for most of the parts required for rebuilding the front end plus a new FMIC and then painting

Starting to wonder if I should consider buying another car and transfer all the parts over to it from the red one

another possibility I thought of was to turn it into a serious long term project by buying a bare shell and build myself the scoob I always dreamed of owning, kinda think I am too impatient for that though

anyway, providing it does not rain this evening (which it looks like it may) I am gonna try to carry on stripping the front end and get the engine ready for taking out

one of my mates planted the seed in my mind to do an engine rebuild while it is out
Old 11 June 2008, 05:55 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you dave, She looked lovely last week in the pics you posted up.

I'm quite impressed with the build quality of the Hybrid FMIC, I know the pipes are mangled but the core looks pretty good considering you hit a stone wall!!!!
Old 11 June 2008, 06:19 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hat off to you for keeping the chin up and getting the repairs under way matey, admire you for that ....hope you get sorted, not a nice thing to happen to anyone

Quick Reply: A bit of a facelift