Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

de-tangoed headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2007, 07:12 PM
MSM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default de-tangoed headlights

going to do my03 blobeye this weekend, i was thinking about painting the outer part of the chromed reflector say a matt black. has anyone else done this? if so any pics wpould be appreciated. the car is wr blue so open to any suggestions.
Old 09 February 2007, 07:21 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

i did it but in white

at night with crystal white "driving lights" or what ever you call em.... the tiny lights that illuminate the housing..

Old 09 February 2007, 07:37 PM
Manic Mav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx_yank
i did it but in white

at night with crystal white "driving lights" or what ever you call em.... the tiny lights that illuminate the housing..

it looks fast too.com
Old 09 February 2007, 08:18 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

try this, internal anthracite metallic to match wheels and splitter

Old 09 February 2007, 08:41 PM
scooby-stu2
Scooby Regular

is this an easy job to do ??
Old 09 February 2007, 08:46 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

thats such an easy thing to do but makes a hell of a big difference to the car.

Those pics are great.
Old 09 February 2007, 10:47 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

nothing an oven and some motorcycle crank-case sealer cant do...

How to clear MY04 headlights - photo instructions - Interior & Exterior Modification & Care - NASIOC

every thing you need to know.
Old 09 February 2007, 10:52 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

Here's some info I posted in a thread a while ago...

On your 05, you can remove the headlights easily, without taking the bumper off. First, remove the gril and painted center piecesl, then you'll see all the bolts you need to remove the headlights.

Next, take EVERYTHING out of the headlights that will possibly come off... bulbs, wiring, screws, EVERYTHING!!! You should basically have just a plastic housing, stripped down. Maybe the metal screw from the headlight leveling still attached, but that's ok. It's important to get all the small screws off from around the edges, or you'll break the plastic inside the headlight, when you try to pry it appart.

Now, pre-heat oven to 200F

Get a cookie sheet, and place a towel on top of the sheet, so NO metal is touching plastic. Place the headlight on the sheet, black-plastic down. Do one at a time, so you dont get in over your head.

Bake for EXACTLY 15 minutes. This seems to work VERY well, and is relatively easy to pull appart without damage, or too much work. I've done 7 sets this way, with ZERO problems.

Grab a pair of mechanics gloves to work with, and remove the headlight from the oven. I find it easiest to put a towel in my lap, and pry it appart with a flat head, in my lap. Just be careful, and go around the whole edge slowly, and get it all to come appart at once. Just work with it, and it will seperate.

*BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET ANY BLACK FACTORY SEALANT ON THE LENS, INSIDE OR OUT*

If you do, it's not the end of the world, but you seriously want to avoid touching the inside with ANYTHING at all costs. If you do, make sure you clean it VERY well, first with "Goo-Gone" to get rid of the sticky crap, then with an ammonia based window cleaner to get rid of ANY sort of oil, or residue.

Now, you'll see that the chrome surround is bolted to the lens cover. Simply unbolt that, and you'll have your trim appart. You can now take the amber bulb covers out. If you want to spray them black, (which I think looks best) then just tape off the reflector area nicely, and spray the whole chrome surround flat black. You want the reflector taped off, so it still functions later on!

For paint, I recommend Krylon "Ultra-Flat" black... and the Krylon Fusion paint seemed to work well, also. Just make sure it's flat. Gives the best finish, and factory look.

Once you're done spraying, re-assemble the trim to the lens cover, but dont re-install the amber covers, unless you like that look.

Now, take the liquid gasket, and drizzle a small bead all around the seal. You don't need a lot, since you still have a lot of the factory glue, too.

Gently press the two halves together, but DONT force them all the way together just yet. Just enough so they're snug.

Re-bake for 10 minutes, then take out, and press together completely. This re-heats the factory glue, and gives a perfect seal.

Re-install everything, in reverse order... and you're done!

Hope that helped! Any questions, PM me...

your friendly american...

if your close to cambs.... ill do it for beer.
Old 10 February 2007, 12:42 PM
MSM
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, these pics help a lot. i have a spare pair of headlights to practise on but i like the look of mangels lights. if it ever stops raining/snowing this weekend i might just get them done.