Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

At last.....pics of MY00!

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2006, 09:23 AM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At last.....pics of MY00!

Washed the car the other weekend and managed to get some photos.

The car is totally standard, not a single thing modded. It's even got the original subaru stereo and cd changer (under passenger seat).

And those orange bits under the indicators.

What do you guys think?

Old 28 December 2006, 09:50 AM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

What to say?
Old 28 December 2006, 09:59 AM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SineSTI
What to say?
Cheers mate. You can see the cracked fog light, need to get that fixed.

Also - looks like its leaning in the pic of the rear - Im pretty sure thats just the photo. I looked out the window just now......Hmmm....not sure. Might get it checked out as its in for a service next week.

Last edited by Ryo; 28 December 2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 28 December 2006, 10:42 AM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Must be one of the only ones left now surely, are you doing anything to it?

It looks a stunner
Old 28 December 2006, 11:13 AM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Multijfj
Must be one of the only ones left now surely, are you doing anything to it?

It looks a stunner
Cheers mate.

This is the thing see, I dont really want to mod it because it is totally standard. One previous owner for the first 6 years, full subaru service history etc. Its been so well looked after, apart from a couple of small scrapes on the interior (in the back on one door panel). I had the guys at the subaru garage confirm it was total standard when I bought it.

I am almost scared to do anything to it because I really like it as it is and dont want to change anything from standard. I cant even bring myself to replace the side repeaters or the orange triangles on the front!

I havent seen that many that are totally standard like this.

Would you start to mod it, or leave it as is?

Last edited by Ryo; 28 December 2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 28 December 2006, 11:24 AM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Well, if you are the 2nd owner in its life, I dont know. Its a dilema, if you keep it standard then you have something thats coming close to a one off, but then that takes out part of the fun of owning a subaru, as a big part of subaru ownership, is making them better :thumbs:

But like you say, I have not seen many, if any, that are totally standard like it, but if it was me personally, I would modify it, and I would only modify the exterior with a few things, like the v5/6 STI Spoiler, colour code the skirts, and de-tango the lights. and that would be enough outside for me, maybe some wheels depending on how it looked afterwards.

But under the bonnet I would do the most, keep it nice and clean on the outside, and dirty on the inside

If the car looks tidy after modifications, then its fine, but if you starting going crazy and putting stickers all over it, and bodykits, then nonono

- Also to add, the pic of the rear, it does look as if its leaning ever so slightly, but its hard to tell on a camera photo. My mate has a wrx classic, and that has a soft offside rear shock, so it could be something like that
Old 28 December 2006, 11:25 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryo
Cheers mate.

This is the thing see, I dont really want to mod it because it is totally standard. One previous owner for the first 6 years, full subaru service history etc. Its been so well looked after, apart from a couple of small scrapes on the interior. I had the guys at the subaru garage confirm it was total standard when I bought it.

I am almost scared to do anything to it because I really like it as it is and dont want to change anything from standard. I cant even bring myself to replace the side repeaters or the orange triangles on the front!

I havent seen that many that are totally standard like this.

Would you start to mod it, or leave it as is?
Depends if its got really low miles then keep it standard, but if its got over 70-80k miles then no point really trying to keep it standard if you think its going to be worth money in years to come, Might as well enjoy it and if it means you want to put a loud backbox on or some crystal side repeaters then do it!

Anyway nice car!
Old 28 December 2006, 12:16 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hats what mine looked like nearly 7 years ago... (bar the sunroof)........ very nice too...... shame not to improve it slightly though!!
Old 28 December 2006, 03:01 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

I remember when mine used to look like that, completely standard but in silver, now nearly 4 years on quite a lot has changed.

I'd mod it, just do basic stuff which you can change back if you decide to sell, like wheels, clear front and side indicators and an exhaust. Although once you start you'll probably find it hard to stop.
Old 28 December 2006, 03:19 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

snap!
my X reg silver is completely standard! thry look great!
Old 28 December 2006, 03:19 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

I think if I were to do anything it would be clear indicators, those orange triangles and STI rear lights.

Anyone know of good replacements for the "orange triangles"?
Old 28 December 2006, 03:49 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

perhaps go for a sleeper of sortsand do the engine and leave the exterior clean and original. the only give aways would be exhaust (you could have a custom standard looking and quiet on made up) and brakes.

Would deffo be summit different then all go and not a lot of show!!
Old 28 December 2006, 04:07 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice/ rare being totally standard
My advice/ experience for what its worth.
I bought my MY99 Wagon new and am the only owner. I kept it standard for a while but couldn't resist in the end but all mods i believe are subtle and the list is not extensive.
17" Radius R3 wheels
PPP
Extra Security
De-Tangoed
STI rears
Kenwood sounds
Rear bumper protector/ Door protection strips

Old 28 December 2006, 04:35 PM
kittle
Scooby Regular

de tango makes it looks lot cleaner. and spray the bumper inserts as wel. orange is bad!
Old 28 December 2006, 04:48 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Ryo,

Lovely example you have there. Very similar circumstances to my own, i.e. 1 owner and standard (except mine had a Sony head-unit fitted). Also owning an MR2 (at the time), I wasn't interested in making any changes... but was then attracted by the dark-er side.

Clear indicator lenses (front and side) really make a difference -- especially if you change the orange wedges too. Some folk colour-code theirs... I favoured black instead (and still do). Jury's still out on the Jap-style non-orange rear lenses. Look great but it's the cost.

I then opted for a Hayward & Scott exhaust back box and centre section. This gives the car a lovely exhaust note and a gorgeous looking rear end -- without making it look silly. Personally I've always found the twin pipe 'pea-shooter' look a bit Grandad-ish.

Apart from a Kenwood head-unit to replace the awful Sony one and a Momo/Subaru gear-****, happen she'll stay as-is now.

Personally I think you can make some subtle changes as you see fit -- without destroying the original look. Granted it's nice to have a totally original model, but I don't think you'll reap any financial benefits unless you put the car in storage for 100 years.

Couple of suggestions following your valet... consider some tyre gel on those tyre walls. It'll really enhance the car's overall look. Some 'back to black' trim dressing on those side strips may also tone-down the greyness.

It's not a great photo but here's mine - http://www.sopertek.co.uk/mr2/aboutme/classic.jpg

All the best,

Jonts.
Old 28 December 2006, 04:52 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

looks mint, im in a similar position with my V7 Sti.. but i changed the orange repeators and left it at that, if u wanna mod id just clean it up a bit with things like that, keep it looking mint on the outside.... dont mean u cant fiddle under the bonnet tho

thumbs up from me
Old 28 December 2006, 04:54 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryo
Anyone know of good replacements for the "orange triangles"?
Forgot to mention in my first reply -- these are the only items I can't put back (everything else is packed away in the garage).

Very easy to change (say, over a weekend) and you can still use the car as they simply pop-out. I gave mine a good clean and then rubbed them down slightly. After another wash and time to dry, apply a good few coats of primer (usual case of more coats of less paint is best). Then I did the same with some black paint I already had. Once thoroughly dry, simply popped them back in. Voila!

Jonts.
Old 28 December 2006, 05:10 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonty

Clear indicator lenses (front and side) really make a difference -- especially if you change the orange wedges too. Some folk colour-code theirs... I favoured black instead (and still do). Jury's still out on the Jap-style non-orange rear lenses. Look great but it's the cost.
Yeah - the cost of rear's is mad. I've been spending on servicing and tyres recently!

I then opted for a Hayward & Scott exhaust back box and centre section. This gives the car a lovely exhaust note and a gorgeous looking rear end -- without making it look silly. Personally I've always found the twin pipe 'pea-shooter' look a bit Grandad-ish.
Agreed - its a bit 1990 Rover 216 ! I dont mind it because you dont see many with original exhausts. I dont want anything too loud because I work early mornings so would wake the neighbours everyday as I get it out the garage.

Personally I think you can make some subtle changes as you see fit -- without destroying the original look. Granted it's nice to have a totally original model, but I don't think you'll reap any financial benefits unless you put the car in storage for 100 years.
Not really looking for any financial benifits, I just like the fact that I dont see many standard cars - always modded somehow. In a way its a bit subversive to not have it modded.

Couple of suggestions following your valet... consider some tyre gel on those tyre walls. It'll really enhance the car's overall look. Some 'back to black' trim dressing on those side strips may also tone-down the greyness.
Ha! You have keen eyes sir! It was getting dark so I wanted to get the pics done quick. I have some back to black and wheel black etc so will do.
Funny thing is I have been driving all over the show since I polished it a couple of weekends back, its a right state after 400 motorway miles in fog and crap.

It's not a great photo but here's mine - [URL="http://www.sopertek.co.uk/mr2/aboutme/classic.jpg"]http://www.sopertek.co.uk/mr2/aboutme/classic.jpg
Nice, clean and tidy. Thanks for your reply mate. Take it easy.

PS - thanks for the tips on the orange triangles!
Old 28 December 2006, 05:33 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryo
Funny thing is I have been driving all over the show since I polished it a couple of weekends back, its a right state after 400 motorway miles in fog and crap.
Yup, wrong time of year to spend quality time preening and pruning. If you catch a good weekend when the weather's good then it's nice if you have nothing else to do, else best to treat them to a basic wash at least once a month to wash the rubbish off and wait for the better weather to arrive.

It's washing my wife's bug-eye Impreza that annoys me most of all -- she works near Heathrow so the car's always covered in aviation fuel of sorts and also the mud which nearby lorries kick-up. If that wasn't bad enough, I continually have to remind her that doors are for opening and closing -- glass is for looking through and NOT touching!!

Jonts.
Old 31 December 2006, 02:49 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Very nice
Old 01 January 2007, 10:02 PM
paulthejambo
Scooby Regular

Location: Heart of Midlothian FC aka Hearts have the nickname "The Jambo's" - therefore I'm a Jambo too.

Nice unabused example Ryo.

Sorry, but couldn't resist re-posting some of mine!

I'm not going to do anything else to the outside (stickers etc) but the clear lenses (with Silvatec bulbs) and colour coded triangles finish it off for me.

I kinda had to get new wheels because the old ones were knackered and meant that the car always looked untidy even when it had just been polished.

And as mentioned elsewhere above, if you keep the original stuff safe somewhere, you can just put it back on if/when it's time to sell up.

Regards,
Paul.

Old 02 January 2007, 01:28 AM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

what a beautiful example,i think thats the best colour they ever did-looks like the deep blue as opposed to the dark blue,bit more sparkle in it,god i need to get out more!
i would go with de tangoing it all round,fruitier exhaust and fitting some decent suspension. the original shocks/springs will be getting a bit tired now so uprating them and lowering it a bit at the same time would just finish it off nicely i reckon.the most important thing is that you enjoy it though mate so happy motoring