ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last week at Ron`s day!!

Old 05 October 2005, 01:52 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Sheeeeet look at the lean angle in that last photae! Your chicken line is about 1in short of the rim. What sort of tyres are you using?
Old 05 October 2005, 01:58 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Good pics
Old 05 October 2005, 02:13 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
Good pics
Thanks guys.
These are taken by a professional guy.... you pays yer money sort of thing.

With reference to the tyres........they use Bridgestone BT012ss.
Thyre ok.
Track temp was no so good last Wednesday when these were taken.
Good fun tho
On 1000cc bikes you dont really want to lean any further or you`ll be off the edge of the tyre.
You need to change your lines a little and sort of square the corners off more so you can sit the bike up a little earlier onto the fatter part of the tyre.
the trouble is these bike WILL carry good corner speed so its a fine balance all the time between a fast exit and earth...sky...ambulance

Last edited by ARRON BIRD; 05 October 2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05 October 2005, 02:35 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic

something i'd do if i had money lying around shame they didn't have a blue bike to match your leathers
Old 05 October 2005, 02:38 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4
something i'd do if i had money lying around shame they didn't have a blue bike to match your leathers
Yes mate but I have one of those in my garage
Old 05 October 2005, 02:48 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

What score did you get? A friend of mine was (at the time and this was a good few years back) the only student to get 100% on the first level and 98% on the second level.

Ron was very impressed with him and told him to take up road racing (he was an ex motocrosser) and he's currently test riding the new KTM for the BSB season next year after many years of failing to secure enough money to enter the BSB as a privateer. He used to do the MRO series instead and fortunately this KTM opportunity has come around for him so we're hoping it all comes good for him.
Old 05 October 2005, 02:58 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic

so you do, forgot about that

best of luck to your mate with the KTM thing, sounds an excellent opportunity
Old 05 October 2005, 03:28 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Cheers flat4. To be given a bike worth tens of thousands of pounds to ride around Brands, etc... has been an unreal experience for him!
Old 05 October 2005, 05:59 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Didn't know you were a secret Power Ranger

Nice piccies and nice lookin bike too

Dan
Old 05 October 2005, 08:42 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott W
What score did you get? A friend of mine was (at the time and this was a good few years back) the only student to get 100% on the first level and 98% on the second level.

Ron was very impressed with him and told him to take up road racing (he was an ex motocrosser) and he's currently test riding the new KTM for the BSB season next year after many years of failing to secure enough money to enter the BSB as a privateer. He used to do the MRO series instead and fortunately this KTM opportunity has come around for him so we're hoping it all comes good for him.
I have been told to go road racing by this lot every time.....there is a problem though well two actaully.....1=MONEY or lack of it and 2= TIME or lack of it.

Scott I`m a little confused as to what KTM your mate will be riding as they dont have a road based bike???
Old 05 October 2005, 09:12 PM
69WRX
Scooby Regular

Good pics ARRON BIRD.

I was an instructor at the Ron Haslam Race School back in 1996/7 and did not come across many students that looked as stylish as you do in them photos. Very few even managed to get their knee down.

p.s. Dont start Racing unless you are rich and able to dedicate your life to it. Even then I would'nt bother...
Old 06 October 2005, 09:29 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 69WRX
Good pics ARRON BIRD.

I was an instructor at the Ron Haslam Race School back in 1996/7 and did not come across many students that looked as stylish as you do in them photos. Very few even managed to get their knee down.

p.s. Dont start Racing unless you are rich and able to dedicate your life to it. Even then I would'nt bother...
I know mate.
We used to sponsor a good mate of mine doing first CB500 then the Hornet cup when it was launched.....that was dear enough.
We then moved onto Pete Jennings in National Superstock and later with him on the MSS Kawasaki in National 600`s.
it does take over your life and I have a business to run and kids to think about.......wish I`d got into bikes a little younger I guess.....road bikes that is.
Thanks for the comments......I had Matt Llewelyn as my instructor for the day and to be honest once we did a 1.50 he wasnt prepared to go any faster which pissed me off a little as I know its possible to go faster.
Mid 40`s were possible but the track temp was down a little.
I reckon he must get a bonus for not getting any pupils to crash.???
I have had Gavan Morris before on the 6`s and me and him went like nutters for 3 sessions megga fun.
I will take my Gixer on the track next year to see what times are possible on some decent rubber.
Do you know Mr Jennings I think he used to instruct a bit at Rons too??
Old 06 October 2005, 11:34 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARRON BIRD
Scott I`m a little confused as to what KTM your mate will be riding as they dont have a road based bike???
Arron, this one:-

Sorry for the picture quality, lost a lot of the clarity when scaling it down.
Old 06 October 2005, 11:50 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Arron, this one:-

Sorry for the picture quality, lost a lot of the clarity when scaling it down.
Mate I`m a big orange fan as I have a 450 EXC in my garage as well for the enduro winter scene.
I cant believe how ever good this bike is and I have read the reports that this bike is being entered into the BSB next Year???
Old 06 October 2005, 12:22 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Apparently so mate. KTM Europe came over to that test at Brands with over 20k's worth of kit including suspension, carbon fibre wheels worth 4.5k each and lots of other parts to get the bike set up properly.

I don't know the laptimes he was doing unfortunately but I will ask him so you can see how they compare to the BSB boys of this year.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:32 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Apparently so mate. KTM Europe came over to that test at Brands with over 20k's worth of kit including suspension, carbon fibre wheels worth 4.5k each and lots of other parts to get the bike set up properly.

I don't know the laptimes he was doing unfortunately but I will ask him so you can see how they compare to the BSB boys of this year.
Hmmm yes i would be interested to see those.
Were there this weekend for BSB.
As much as I would love to see it in BSB I just cant
Be interesting to see.

Last edited by ARRON BIRD; 06 October 2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06 October 2005, 02:02 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

my god what a small world we live in!

69WRX we must know each other. i was instructing at rons then (Mark Reynolds) and still do very occasionally although havent this season. also instruct at the Drayton Croft Suzuki Mallory school and the european superbike school (till it went under recently)

AAron, we probably know each other as well. I started racing with Pete, really good buddies, and i married his sister (she is a PITA though lol) I tuned and spannered his bikes when he was with Enzo di climentie's D&E 600 team, spannered on his GSXR1000 regular (which is the year i think you are talking about when youngy won the championship). stopped going regular when he joined up with Nick Morgan. still good mates even though divorced from his sister.

were you one of petes personal sponsors? i.e superstock/250 before he was with MSS? know Gav well to. hilarious little fella

Last edited by p1mark; 06 October 2005 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06 October 2005, 02:06 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1mark
my god what a small world we live in!

69WRX we must know each other. i was instructing at rons then (Mark Reynolds) and still do very occasionally although havent this season. also instruct at the Drayton Croft Suzuki Mallory school and the european superbike school (till it went under recently)

AAron, we probably know each other as well. I started racing with Pete, really good buddies, and i married his sister (she is a PITA though lol) I tuned and spannered his bikes when he was with Enzo di climentie's D&E 600 team, spannered on his GSXR1000 regular (which is the year i think you are talking about when youngy won the championship). stopped going regular when he joined up with Nick Morgan. still good mates even though divorced from his sister.

were you one of petes personal sponsors? i.e superstock/250 before he was with MSS? know Gav well to. hilarious little fella
Yes mate gave him all we had to give!!!
Not much but it all helped.
Think you were about say at Mallory when he had a big un on the superstock Gixer????
Oh and yeah the Barrons 250!!!!
The best Year he had before joing Morgan???
Won last round at Donington....rememeber??
You got dark hair??

Last edited by ARRON BIRD; 06 October 2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06 October 2005, 02:13 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

thats me!

fookin ell eh, would you credit it.

IIRC the last round he did not win, as he ballsed the start up. but he was gaining on youngy (or glen cant remember) and would have had him in another lap.

that and his year on the 250 were his best of the later years, but he had a top year in the mid nineties on a CBR600 in the supercup 600 when it was stupidly competitive. 4th overall IIRC.

good to meet you again!
Old 06 October 2005, 02:17 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

was it you then who helped me try and get his gixer up and running after he wrecked it in warm up. highside down the elbow IIRC. bits borrowed from poor ronnie smith etc....
Old 06 October 2005, 02:22 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

thats me!

fookin ell eh, would you credit it.

IIRC the last round he did not win, as he ballsed the start up. but he was gaining on youngy (or glen cant remember) and would have had him in another lap.

that and his year on the 250 were his best of the later years, but he had a top year in the mid nineties on a CBR600 in the supercup 600 when it was stupidly competitive. 4th overall IIRC.

good to meet you again!
I thought he won the last round???
I know Nick Morgan picked him up cos he was goin well at the time??
You gat a P1 then P1 Mark??
Old 06 October 2005, 02:27 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

was it you then who helped me try and get his gixer up and running after he wrecked it in warm up. highside down the elbow IIRC. bits borrowed from poor ronnie smith etc....
Yes mate.
Near the Cafe!!
Old 06 October 2005, 02:41 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

mmm. sure he didnt 2nd or 3rd i think i will ask him. he got FL though. can remember him dropping the champers from the rostrum down to me and it going all over the pit lane though. you still see him around? did not bother spannering the barons 250. Ian (dark curly hair/tache. basil rathbones old mechanic) did that cos he liked taking thigs to bits every 2nd lap. who did you help out in the CB500's? yeah, have a P1 at the mo.

BTW, looking good on the bike. you are right we do have a crash bonus i.e if you bale we loose money but there are that many crashes at donnington i hardly ever expect to come from there with full money. Matt's a good instructor. and he will let you go as fast as you can but within your limits. if you are looking a bit ropey, even if you dont think you are, it would be silly to push on any more. We dont want to see people hurt, even more than we dont want to loose money.
Old 06 October 2005, 02:44 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

mmm. sure he didnt 2nd or 3rd i think i will ask him. he got FL though. can remember him dropping the champers from the rostrum down to me and it going all over the pit lane though. you still see him around? did not bother spannering the barons 250. Ian (dark curly hair/tache. basil rathbones old mechanic) did that cos he liked taking thigs to bits every 2nd lap. who did you help out in the CB500's? yeah, have a P1 at the mo.

BTW, looking good on the bike. you are right we do have a crash bonus i.e if you bale we loose money but there are that many crashes at donnington i hardly ever expect to come from there with full money. Matt's a good instructor. and he will let you go as fast as you can but within your limits. if you are looking a bit ropey, even if you dont think you are, it would be silly to push on any more. We dont want to see people hurt, even more than we dont want to loose money.
Yeah 2nd or 3rd maybe but a podium deffo!!
We used to help my old mate Darren Sullivan.
He not here any more though died in a freak parachute accident three Years ago.
Old 06 October 2005, 02:56 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

good to speak mate. i will mention it to the bow legged one when i speak to him

put my helmet on now , you need to relax your upper body a touch cos you are a bit hunched back into the middle of the bike. get it out a bit more and try and get your outer forearm resting lightly on the tank. will let you get the bike stood up a bit more mid corner. *** and foot positioning good though. and the line, not many punters go round goddards so tight with their knee over the rumble strip, normally they are pooping it a yard or two inside.

sorry, couldnt resist
Old 06 October 2005, 02:59 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

good to speak mate. i will mention it to the bow legged one when i speak to him

put my helmet on now , you need to relax your upper body a touch cos you are a bit hunched back into the middle of the bike. get it out a bit more and try and get your outer forearm resting lightly on the tank. will let you get the bike stood up a bit more mid corner. *** and foot positioning good though. and the line, not many punters go round goddards so tight with their knee over the rumble strip, normally they are pooping it a yard or two inside.

sorry, couldnt resist
Thanks for the tip!!!!!
I should see old "Driver" this weekend at Brands.
I`ll give him a kick for you
Old 06 October 2005, 03:07 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Arron,

He said he got down to 50 second laps for the Indy circuit, but this was the first outing for the bike and apparently it's come on leaps and bounds since then.

There are details on the bike here as they raced it a couple of weekends back at Snetterton and won!
Old 06 October 2005, 03:43 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Arron,

He said he got down to 50 second laps for the Indy circuit, but this was the first outing for the bike and apparently it's come on leaps and bounds since then.

There are details on the bike here as they raced it a couple of weekends back at Snetterton and won!
50`s is ok at Brands but well of a superbike lap mate??
Old 06 October 2005, 03:46 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARRON BIRD
Thanks for the tip!!!!!
I should see old "Driver" this weekend at Brands.
I`ll give him a kick for you
'driver' lol

i will e mail this link to him, sure he will have some comments about your pics when you see him.

Quick Reply: Last week at Ron`s day!!