Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

New Member & first Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2015, 08:40 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New Member & first Subaru

Hey There, Just thought I introduce myself on here as i will be using a forum a lot and have been doing so already.

I have a 2002 WRX wagon standard blue nothing fancy no mods on exterior.

Got the car with a sole purpose of being my work horse and a tow monster for my other project that I have a (16v 1.8vtec classic mini) as the intention was to tow the mini to events and drive the s**t out of it and if it blows up it blows up as I can tow it back afterwards. Wagon seemed a solid option with an ample boot space for tools and spare slicks + if i drop the seats i could even sleep in it, perfect in my books. Got the bug as for some reason they grew on me, honestly i really disliked the look of the front end however the more i looked at them they kinda grew on me and eventually i got one.

I have been driving it now for a while trying to get in grips with all of the things and trying to find any problems that need sorting and the more i drive the more i realise that this will turn into my econd money pit (not due to many things being wrong) more due to the fact i want to get more out of it now, thus half defeating the purpose i got it for.

Here are few pics.

Sooo the plans for now would be figure out whats right and what wrong with the car.

then in no particular order, remap, coilovers, brakes uprated bushes, some better lights (lights as current ones are pants, not aesthetically just actually driving during night is like holding a candles could be just bulbs i guess) would like to get some gauges as well.

Anyhow i do have some experience as i have learnt al ot from my other project, so hopefully with some guidance from you i should learn some more .

oh and yes i can use the search function hehe
Old 05 January 2015, 08:45 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Snet, loads of good advice on here mate.
Old 05 January 2015, 08:49 PM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very warm welcome bud, looks a nice clean example
Old 06 January 2015, 01:08 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Filski
Hey There, Just thought I introduce myself on here as i will be using a forum a lot and have been doing so already.

I have a 2002 WRX wagon standard blue nothing fancy no mods on exterior.

Got the car with a sole purpose of being my work horse and a tow monster for my other project that I have a (16v 1.8vtec classic mini) as the intention was to tow the mini to events and drive the s**t out of it and if it blows up it blows up as I can tow it back afterwards. Wagon seemed a solid option with an ample boot space for tools and spare slicks + if i drop the seats i could even sleep in it, perfect in my books. Got the bug as for some reason they grew on me, honestly i really disliked the look of the front end however the more i looked at them they kinda grew on me and eventually i got one.

I have been driving it now for a while trying to get in grips with all of the things and trying to find any problems that need sorting and the more i drive the more i realise that this will turn into my econd money pit (not due to many things being wrong) more due to the fact i want to get more out of it now, thus half defeating the purpose i got it for.

Here are few pics.

Sooo the plans for now would be figure out whats right and what wrong with the car.

then in no particular order, remap, coilovers, brakes uprated bushes, some better lights (lights as current ones are pants, not aesthetically just actually driving during night is like holding a candles could be just bulbs i guess) would like to get some gauges as well.

Anyhow i do have some experience as i have learnt al ot from my other project, so hopefully with some guidance from you i should learn some more .

oh and yes i can use the search function hehe
Welcome, The plastic head lamp lenses are prone to pitting and scratching. They are easy to refurb wet sanding and polishing. Stick some halfords 100w bulbs in and theyre back in the 21st centuary.
As a daily I wouldnt bother modding I'd just concerntrate on getting it running right, check for boost leaks etc and a good service using premium parts.
My son has a bug wagon same as yours with a few subtle mods, TSL exhaust, after market filter and some silicone bits and its a great usuable car.
Old 06 January 2015, 09:11 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome and nice motor for a runaround.

You sure you want to go coilover route? Maybe quite harsh especially if you intend to tow. Why not just stick to sti shocks/springs or some tein lowering springs on the wrx shocks, save yourself a fortune.
You can easily stick on some sti injectors, turbo and top mount intercooler (plus maybe uprated fuel pump) then remap and you should see over 300bhp and decent torque. Parts you could probably get for £5-600 then open source remap, should all come in under a grand and you'll have transformed the car.

There is always something that can be improved/spent on these cars!

Best of luck and enjoy!
Paul
Old 06 January 2015, 10:28 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

don't forget the up-pipe cat removal if it's not been done already - that and a fuel pump for peace of mind. You can smash the downpipe cats out of the stock pipe and load a map on with an openport cable that will keep the cost down and give you a good bit more poke for a small investment.

Classic and STI uppipes are both catless and will fit plus you can get them for reasonable money and if you can pickup an openport cable I can send you one of my old maps to load onto it.
Old 06 January 2015, 11:23 AM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edsel
Welcome, The plastic head lamp lenses are prone to pitting and scratching. They are easy to refurb wet sanding and polishing. Stick some halfords 100w bulbs in and theyre back in the 21st centuary.
As a daily I wouldnt bother modding I'd just concerntrate on getting it running right, check for boost leaks etc and a good service using premium parts.
My son has a bug wagon same as yours with a few subtle mods, TSL exhaust, after market filter and some silicone bits and its a great usuable car.
Hey there , Thank you for a response sounds reasonable, I think that may be the case upon my initial inspection last weekend i have noticed that the plugh (i think for the motor height adjustment) was not connected so may have been also an issue, the lamps do seem clear so may be just the bulbs will pop into car shop and get some new bulbs and report back.

As for moding I agree, as I do want it to remain usable but fun, thats why i was thinking handling upgrades first and so that car feel bit more 'planted'
Old 06 January 2015, 11:30 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome from another huge classic mini fan!
Old 06 January 2015, 11:33 AM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the reply guys. Reason for coilovers i just thought a better height adjustment, but did not cross my mind their effect on towing, i may look into the sti shock and new springs as i think the curent shock knock at the rear not sure whether its due to shocks or bushes had a brief look and bushes looked fine so maybe shocks.

Injectors etc is a possibility but i will take one step at teh time, so far it has an sti top intercooler, a decat with a god aweful exhaust back box which will be changed soon for a more subtle sounding one, it also has the dump vlave does not bother me too much as its not awefully loud, may be a swap for a stock recirc valve at some point.

As for 'load a map on with an openport cable' thats all new to me so will need to read into that first rather not touch the brains before knowing what im doing. But thank you for the advice and thank you for the suggestions
Old 06 January 2015, 11:35 AM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Welcome from another huge classic mini fan!

Heheh, thanks, I see u r from Herts and Buck's have you done their A's of Herts night tour/ rally thing, they accept non minis too so may be a laugh to do it in a subaru.
Old 06 January 2015, 11:38 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Filski
Heheh, thanks, I see u r from Herts and Buck's have you done their A's of Herts night tour/ rally thing, they accept non minis too so may be a laugh to do it in a subaru.
I was a member of A's of herts back in the day with various mini's (modified 998, very modified 1380, 1293GT clubman, very modified mk1 mini Turbo - green - you may remember it). Not been to any get togethers for years and years though. Currently doing up a 66 beetle. Scandal!