Notices

earthing kit.

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2007, 07:50 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default earthing kit.

I am going to remove my bi-xenon hid kit that I brought from the SN GB last year and re fit the OEM bulbs. Why...

"I have a 2000 GC8 with crystal headlights and I purcahsed a HID Bixenon kit from the SN GB and I have one word, crap. The light output maybe better for dipped, but it is not one contunious beam, but small segments (triangles etc) of light, and as for main beam goes, they might as well giude plains into land. There is an unlight void infront of the car before the light beam starts"

Then I am going to fit the PIAA driving light kit to compremise.

So what I want to know is, does fitting and an eathing kit improve the headlight output with oe bulbs??

Now before I got my hid kit I was running philips 50% brighter power2night bulbs, but I was always concerned of the wiring loom or somthing electrical related to the headlights was going to catch fire.

Cheers

Darren
Old 17 September 2007, 08:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

A couple of points here. Firstly, most folk want to upgrade their Scoob lights because the OE ones are crap. Nothing to do with the bulbs, nothing to do with the POWER of the bulbs. The lights themselves, (lenses and reflectors) are CRAP.

So............if you put more powerful bulbs in the OE lights, you just get MORE light scattered everywhere. If you change to HID, you get HID light scattered everywhere.

The ONLY solution is to get shut of the OE lights and put some DECENT reflectors/lenses in place. I did just that: I put Morettes on mine. Cibie light units. They don't come much better.

Now I run 60% brighter GE bulbs in the main/dip, and the light ALL goes where it should

I COULD put HID's in, but since I have HID driving lights, I haven't bothered.

Secondly, you don't need to bother about 50% uprated bulbs damaging your wiring. They are the same wattage as the stock bulbs, which means the same current draw.

Lastly, you can improve the light output of most lights using relays. An earthing kit doesn't really affect the lights, (which is not to say that lights shouldn't have a decent earth, straight back to battery is best ), it's to earth the engine, ecu, body etc to the battery, as the Scoob system is a bit weak, esp on classics.

HTH, Alcazar
Old 18 September 2007, 10:07 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that comprehensive reply

I would change to Morettes, but I don't like the look of them at all, but then I would get better light output as you say Perhaps a pic request is in order

When I was ruinnng the 50% brighter power2night bulbs the out put was better and the light was not scattered like it is with the Hid's.

I did read somthing about a guy making relays for his lights and I think it was on here
Old 18 September 2007, 10:23 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I second the "Impreza lights are crap" comment. It's true they can be "even more crap" if the electrics or wiring are sub-standard.

If you've got a multi-meter, measure the voltage across the battery with the car idling and just off idle. Then check the voltages at the back of the bulbs.

You should be looking for 13.8 - 14.4 volts off the battery and probably somwhere north of 13 volts at the bulb. I think mine was 13.4 when I checked it.

I also don't like the look the Morrettes give the front end.

J.
Old 18 September 2007, 02:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
Thanks for that comprehensive reply

I would change to Morettes, but I don't like the look of them at all, but then I would get better light output as you say Perhaps a pic request is in order
Old 18 September 2007, 06:28 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
I second the "Impreza lights are crap" comment. It's true they can be "even more crap" if the electrics or wiring are sub-standard.

If you've got a multi-meter, measure the voltage across the battery with the car idling and just off idle. Then check the voltages at the back of the bulbs.

You should be looking for 13.8 - 14.4 volts off the battery and probably somwhere north of 13 volts at the bulb. I think mine was 13.4 when I checked it.

I also don't like the look the Morrettes give the front end.

J.
I don't have a multi-meter and I don't know anyone with one either
Old 18 September 2007, 06:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I don't have a multi-meter and I don't know anyone with one either
OK, where are you in Beds? Im staying at the Swan revived at Newport Pagnell friday/saturday, and have nowt to do for saturday 10:30>>4pm as wife is at Walton Hall. I could bring a multimeter, and we could have a look?

PM me for a phone number if it suits.

Alcazar
Old 18 September 2007, 07:33 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Friday I am working and finish at 5:15/20pm. Saturday Im off to the Clinic.

I still have my HIDs in so checking them with a multimeter I would guess would not be worth while

Thanks for the thought

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 20 September 2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 20 September 2007, 07:29 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Alcazar, have you got a link to where sells the Cibie morette light units??

If I get a pair of Cibie morettes, will I be able to use this his HID kit that I have - bi-xenon? although, I don't like this perticular HID kit.

What are the bulbs in the outer and inner?

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 20 September 2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 21 September 2007, 10:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Here's a link to a dealer: CIBIE LIGHTING

The outers use H4 bulbs for main and dip, the inners use an H3. Leave the H3 alone, they don't take kindly to being uprated

If you have a BiXenon kit using an H4 base it will fit your Morettes, BUT...........if the bulbs haven't been made properly, ie: are cheap far eastern imports, they MAY not give good lighting, since their optical quality may be low. The Xenon arc MUST be EXACTLY where the halogen filament should be, and I mean exactly, to the half millimetre. Many cheap bulbs don't get this right, with the result that light is scattered every which way.

Alcazar
Old 21 September 2007, 11:05 AM
stevey
Scooby Regular

alcazar which units do u use
Old 21 September 2007, 06:17 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Here's a link to a dealer: CIBIE LIGHTING

The outers use H4 bulbs for main and dip, the inners use an H3. Leave the H3 alone, they don't take kindly to being uprated

If you have a BiXenon kit using an H4 base it will fit your Morettes, BUT...........if the bulbs haven't been made properly, ie: are cheap far eastern imports, they MAY not give good lighting, since their optical quality may be low. The Xenon arc MUST be EXACTLY where the halogen filament should be, and I mean exactly, to the half millimetre. Many cheap bulbs don't get this right, with the result that light is scattered every which way.

Alcazar
Thanks mate

The bi-xenen kit that I have is not of very good quality, so I will probably sell them on.
Old 22 September 2007, 01:14 PM
suby_speed5
Scooby Regular

One way you can improve your lighting output with your stock bulbs is to change up the wiring harness to larger wiring. IIRC, stock wiring is about 18ga, and you would definitely benefit from swapping it all out to 14ga. If you had the patience, you could also incorporate 2 or 4 separate relays, one for high beam and one for low beam on each bulb.

Here's the headlight wiring schematic for my '95 USDM Impreza. Your's will be very similar, if not the same:

Here is a way to integrate separte relays into the system:

Please note that this was just a quick drawing, and you would have to do something with the wiring for your high beam indicator. Also note that the colors of the lines I drew don't represent what the stock wiring is. I just did that to easily tell the wires apart on the diagram.

Last edited by suby_speed5; 22 September 2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 22 September 2007, 08:04 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, but I don't think I have the ***** to do that.
Old 23 September 2007, 07:51 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Alcazar, I emailed that company for the Morettes and they don't sell them only the parts.
Old 24 September 2007, 09:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Alcazar, I emailed that company for the Morettes and they don't sell them only the parts.
Ah..........I thought you needed parts? Try Demon Tweeks, Graham Goode, TSL etc,

Don't forget to check and tell them if you need electrically adjusted lights

Alcazar
Old 24 September 2007, 06:29 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers for that.