Notices

HID Morettes on MY99 any experiences??

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2002, 10:20 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I am thinking of trying to get some HID Morettes for my MY99 STI-V, they are available but slightly more expensive than the standard Morette conversion, I can see the benefits over the standard even tho they are meant to be the nadgers, has anyone fitted the HID ones and any good / bad feedback?

Or am I the first thinking of doing this?

Toby
Old 24 May 2002, 06:11 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Toby,
I did a bodge of a HID conversion to my then STi VI type R, using a set of Hella HID spot lights I had laying about taking the Bulbs, Bulb holders, Ballasts and loom from this kit. I fitted the Ballasts on the near side just behind the horn in front of the battery, On the offside I had to remove the Intercooler waterspray tank and the aircleaner box to then mount the Ballasts in the only available space I could find for them, it was quite close to the HT leads but did not cause any running problems.

As for the quality and effectiveness of my bodged conversion, I did notice a significant improvement but not just in how bright things where, but also in how far it lit objects up in the distance. It gave a more natural look to things at night which I found stopped me from getting headaches/eyestrain.
All I can say about a purpose built HID Morette set up is that it should give a hugely superior (more natural) look to things at night, that is if they use the white HID bulb's and not the Blue one's.
(As it goes I still have the Morettes and the HID stuff knocking about somewhere)

HTH ian