Notices

Clifford concept 650

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2013, 09:13 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Clifford concept 650

Im looking at getting the clifford concept 650 for my car and the local fitter is saying £425 all in. ( more for extra sensors etc)

Yet on ebay other companies are advertising. The same unit fitted for £299

can a local guy really be making that much mark up or is it that the ebay could be a knock off?

Anyone had it fitted? What was the price. Pm if you dont want people knowing your alarm set ups

Last edited by RobsyUK; 28 October 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 28 October 2013, 09:23 PM
NuNu9977
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I presume after just removing my toad it's how well it's put in. Mine had all original sleves removed and redone was an absolute pain to remove was at my mates garage for close to two weeks. So the higher figure is for a good install rarther than a cheaper quick fit. My views, I'd always have repituble company fit any alarm.
Old 28 October 2013, 09:33 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I fitted my toad alarm myself making use of all the functions and even added a few myself. I'm very handy with electronics/soldering etc and to do a really good job it took me 2 days. All wires soldered and heat shrunk, everything hidden and taped to look like factory wiring and so on.

In most cases you get what you pay for. I'm not slating anyone but most of them will fit it in a few hours and probably shave a few corners.
Old 28 October 2013, 09:57 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Thats what im starting to wonder....

Also im bashing my head with what better the toad a606i or the clifford and after the following conversation i think clifford:

Welcome to our live chat service, how can I help you?
Visitor587 I dont know weather to buy the toad a606i or the clifford 650II
Matt Good evening
Visitor587 I like the idea of the proximity beeping t tell people its alarmed but im hearing allsorts of problems.
Matt whats the best number to discuss this
Visitor587 I also head that with the a606i all you need is to turn the ignition with a screw driver and then bump start the car and it will drive....
Visitor587 My phone is dead.
This Chat has ended.

**** cut me off!
Old 28 October 2013, 10:41 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I think I had the Clifford concept 650 on my last car rob with the blackjax, remote start, proximity, glass, tilt blah blah blah and It cost £500 all in, everything was done tidy as I have a beady eye for shìt like that, could have fitted it myself if being honest but couldn't be arsed with it plus you won't get a certificate of installation so renders it useless in terms of insurance.

I also had the AI606 back in the day on my Astra GSI, can't say I had a problem with it and was a decent alarm from what I found, that cost me £300 all in with the added sensors (must be about 7 years ago now) BUT and it's a big effin BUT, don't know if your too familiar with the old Vauxhall hazard switch trick, but it would bypass the alarm totally, wouldn't turn off the key don't get me wrong but you are correct in what you say with bumping the car! Fuel pump would prime and ignition lights straight on but no crank off the key, stick it in second and give it a bump and off it would go, don't know if the same would have happened with the Clifford but it definitely done it on the toad, apart from that it was cracking lmao suppose they had to get in first before they could do that with the car but its still unsettling when paying out for an alarm!
Old 28 October 2013, 10:45 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Well without getting in to too much detail about how I wired mine, if they get my car started with a screwdriver, they can have it.

If the installer has fitted it properly, there's no way they'll get it going without a fair bit if trouble.

The Toad and Clifford have two immobilisation circuits. If they're not both used, then doesn't get CAT1 status. Both alarms have almost the same amount of additional features but both have the two immobilisations circuits. I used to have a Vectra which had a Ai606 fitted but none of the additional features were connected and didn't work very well in general. The guy who fitted it was a wab though.

I did plenty of research about the very same thing your wanting to do and went with the Toad. I've read a lot about Clifford's failing, not so much about Toad.

You can add proximity to the toad, I did. It chirps and so and it pissed me off so much I disabled it. It's a gimmick and will do your head in. I also have a tilt sensor so if someone jacks it up for the wheels the alarm will sound.

The possibilities are huge with it, limited by money of course. For me, I just add bits here and there myself as I want them.

I paid £105 for my Ai606 and maybe £50 for extra bits and a few more £ for relays, wire and heat shrink. So maybe £200 all in for parts, fitted by my good self.
Old 28 October 2013, 10:47 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Fuel pump would prime and ignition lights straight on but no crank off the key, stick it in second and give it a bump and off it would go, don't know if the same would have happened with the Clifford but it definitely done it on the toad, apart from that it was cracking lmao
Clearly wasn't wired properly, they didn't use the two immobilisation circuits if the only thing that was cut was the starter.
Old 28 October 2013, 11:44 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983

Clearly wasn't wired properly, they didn't use the two immobilisation circuits if the only thing that was cut was the starter.
It was done tidy bud, trouble is with the earlier vauxhalls is if you flip the hazard switch upside down it overrides everything as it get its power from the permanent feed off the hazard switch, something vauxhall truly fecked up in their design, most of the alarms come off the ignition system on the barrel and behind the glovebox to the main loom, the hazard switch has its own feed as your aware and when the switch is flipped upside down it bridges different pins on the circuit and brings the car to life, if you know anybody with an early Vaux give it a try, I use to do away with the feed on my old nova and rewire it so if they did get in the switch was useless.
Old 29 October 2013, 12:01 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I had an old nova too mate, it was always a great party trick lol! I'm not doubting how tidy it was but if the hazard trick had been considered when installing the toad then it wouldn't have been able to happen, that's all I'm getting at

I had considered where people might be able to bypass things on my impreza and wired the alarm to combat such things. It took more time and materials but at least it'll slow them down. I didn't take the conventional route of connecting to the ignition barrel wiring and so on.
Old 29 October 2013, 05:17 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

It does sound a bit expensive installation has nothing to do with the cost difference as to fit a category 1 alarm can only be fitted by certified installers that have been trained to fit them alarms the correct way,So if I was you I would just shop around until you find a better quotation.SJ.
Old 29 October 2013, 08:56 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

I've been on the phone to a local fitter and as I found him on the Clifford site I was expecting him to be bias. Turns out he even said the toad is better as the Clifford is too complex and if not installed correctly will cause nightmares..
So I think I'm toading it
Old 30 October 2013, 04:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the clifford is a more complex system to install, the good thing about that though is you need a good installer to put it in, in which case you know the quality of the job of a (highly recommended) installer will be better than your average joe bloggs.
The only 2 issues i have had with a clifford is the valet switch (fairly common) and the siren went on one of my cars, neither was drastic otherwise they have been cracking systems to use though my installer is up in Manchester, not one of these dodgy do it all companies....

Tony