Notices

Flat battery after just two weeks of non use

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2013, 06:32 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flat battery after just two weeks of non use

Car battery flat after just two weeks of non use, it's a bosch S4 in my impreza spec d. Surely it should last longer than just two weeks of non use. The car was locked in the normal way, with alarm & tracker switched on etc. Any advice please? The battery is also only a few months old, I need to check and see what the guarantee says, but I know they can be funny about exchanging batteries because there are lots of factors to consider. But I did expect it to last longer than two weeks.
Ta Warren
Old 13 October 2013, 06:43 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hhhmmm. Strange. I quite often leave my car for 3,4 weeks and it starts on the button every time. Where did u get it? I work in car parts and we don't quibble battery's. Straight exchange. When it happens, which is rare.
Old 13 October 2013, 07:01 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LDNSTi
Hhhmmm. Strange. I quite often leave my car for 3,4 weeks and it starts on the button every time. Where did u get it? I work in car parts and we don't quibble battery's. Straight exchange. When it happens, which is rare.
I think it came from Euro Car parts, I'll have to dig out the receipt and contact them. I think I'll get the alternator checked out too!
Old 13 October 2013, 07:17 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

My blob 2005Wrx is the same. Can't leave for over two weeks without a recharge. I replaced the battery thinking it was weak, but the same issue. They checked the alternater and all fine. I think a few other impreza owners will be in the same boat as us
Old 13 October 2013, 07:19 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Is it possible for you to leave your car parked without locking it? I.e in your garage etc? And see if it's still flat? Maybe a tracker fault ? I've heard that before a few times.
Old 13 October 2013, 07:44 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

It may be a tracker that drains some batteries but i don't have one. Regarding not using alarm might be worth a go but need to find another way to keep ya car safe.
Old 13 October 2013, 08:04 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

I keep the car in a lock up garage within a secure compound and unfortunately there's no mains but it is safe to leave the car unlocked i there and it always starts fine.
I had the same problem with my previous battery any more than 2 weeks and it was a 'non starter' :-(
So I bought a bosch S4 battery thinking it'd may be last abit longer than 2 weeks. I only use the car once every week or so at weekends as I have another more economic car for my daily 70 mile commute. The cat has been on a SORN since 1st Oct and today was the first time I went back to the garage since I parked it there 2 weeks ago.
I think to be honest its just down to general lack of use I'm going to remove the battery tomorrow and give it a good charge in the house and then buy a solar charger to keep it on trickle charge all the time. I've seen one on ebay item number 190822891107 and apparently it won't overcharge the battery !?!
If I bought one of these would I have to disconnect the battery terminals whilst it was on constant charge, or could I just leave them?
Thanks

Last edited by WarrenSTI; 13 October 2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 13 October 2013, 08:13 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

I thinks some of the guys on hear use solar chargers. I can see its a bit bigger than the real rubbish 1.4w one which i had. So worth a go. Can leave your battery in place and connected if want won't hurt any electronics.
Old 13 October 2013, 10:03 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PhilWrx100
I thinks some of the guys on hear use solar chargers. I can see its a bit bigger than the real rubbish 1.4w one which i had. So worth a go. Can leave your battery in place and connected if want won't hurt any electronics.
Cheers Phil, I'll get one bought
Old 13 October 2013, 10:28 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

found the same item, directly from the AA and saved a fiver
http://shop.theaa.com/store/other/ca...-solar-charger
Old 13 October 2013, 10:36 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started a thread a while ago about this problem with my 03 STI, lots of people were experiencing the same problem although I think they were all blob eyes.

I bought a ctek battery conditioner which works great, however my car wasn't running right and it turned out to be a faulty idle control valve, once I replaced this I've not charged the car since seems to have stopped draining the battery?

Mick
Old 13 October 2013, 11:02 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
I started a thread a while ago about this problem with my 03 STI, lots of people were experiencing the same problem although I think they were all blob eyes.

I bought a ctek battery conditioner which works great, however my car wasn't running right and it turned out to be a faulty idle control valve, once I replaced this I've not charged the car since seems to have stopped draining the battery?

Mick
I used to have the same problem a few years ago with my 03 STi as well, it was never right since the day I bought it and it was only 18months old at the time. Thanks for the tip Mick on the idle control valve, when its next at the garage for a service I'll get the guys to check it out!
Ta Warren
Old 26 October 2013, 01:15 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

How have you been getting on since mate? Just to let you know, I have just started my scoob this morning after three weeks locked away. (The car, not me lol), And it was on the button.