Notices

Question regarding wiring around the alarm system on a track car

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2013, 01:23 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question regarding wiring around the alarm system on a track car

Hi all, first let me say that this is not an attempt to steal a car and the method I am wondering about requires you to have the keys and fobs anyway.

I am building a track car based on an MY99-00 Uk Turbo. These care come with two security systems.

1. The factory transponder key system. This involves a small black box under the steering wheel which is wired to a sensor around the ignition barrel. The box is then wired to the loom. If the box is disconected the car will still start but after a few seconds it cuts out.

2. The sigma alarm system.

As this car is track only and does not require all this security I would like to remove it from the loom. I also have the benefit of another MY99-00 car which is fully operational to work from.

Now my understanding of vehicle electrics is basic but am I right in thinking I can test the pins on the transponder box with and without the sensor attached and see what output is different. Then when I find which wire/pin is activated by the sensor having the correct key nearby I can cut this wire and splice in a supply from elsewhere giving the same effect? Once it is bypassed like this I could then remove the transponder box and receiver and do away with it?

Is this possible? As I understand it the ECU is not specific to the transponder on this year model as the two are separate and its just the key and box that match as a pair.

I was also thinking about removing the alarm in the same way...

I am not worried about loosing the security as this car will be kept secure anyway.