Bugeye Morette headlights full beam issue

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2010, 11:25 PM
Marky2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye Morette headlights full beam issue

Hi folks!

Ive recently bought my 02 bug from my mate and just before i bought it he fitted a set of aftermarket morette headlights.

The problem is all the indicators, hazards, lights all work but i think he has wired them wrong.

The fact is the outer large light works as the normal driving headlight (which blinds people when driving at night) and the inner light as full beam this is wrong am I correct? Should this be the other way around?

Can anybody please tell me how i can rectify this problem?

Kind Regards.
Old 19 November 2010, 01:20 AM
Jay-C
Scooby Regular

Sounds like they need aligning.

My outer lights on my morrettes are my driving lights (projector lens in them) and my inners are high beam so yours sound correct to me.

Question for you : When you put your high beams on, do your driving lights stay on too or go off?
Old 19 November 2010, 11:07 AM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay-C
Sounds like they need aligning.

My outer lights on my morrettes are my driving lights (projector lens in them) and my inners are high beam so yours sound correct to me.

Question for you : When you put your high beams on, do your driving lights stay on too or go off?

On mine the high beams don't work (need replacing), but when i switch to dipped beam my drivers side goes out and the passenger side stays on.

Also what size are the high beam bulbs, H4?
Old 19 November 2010, 11:13 AM
Marky2
Scooby Regular

See that was one of the questions I wasnt sure about as people always say different things. You are the same as me the outer light is the driving lamp and the inner light is the full beam. The outer light is very strong.

When I put on high beam the outer light stays on too that is why it is blinding people. Dont get me wrong its a good strength and great in the dark, but not right. I could allign them lower like you say but would this make much difference apart from the fact it stops shining in people car. Should this not be the lamp that works as full beam.

The reason iam asking as well is because when i put full beam on the light does get brighter in the front of the car on road but is not a long beam and if you shine lights against say a wall to check levels should the full beam (when selected) not supposed to outshine the driving light and be higher?
Old 19 November 2010, 12:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

"Driving light" is a generic term for any, usually after-market, lights fitted to a car to show long distances on main beam.

The lights you are worried about are your DIP beam.

OK, now we have that out of the way.

The outers are generally dip, the inners main beam.
If one is a projector, that one is generally the dip.

So, if your dips are upsetting people, you need to do three things:
1. Check that the bulbs fitted aren't higher wattage than normal. This is OK if wiring and alignment are OK.
2. Check the FITTING of the bulbs, that they are both seated correctly.
3. Check that whatever lights you have WERE made for the UK market, NOT Europe etc.

This last can be done by shining the lights on a wall from about 15 feet away. You should see a beam pattern like this:

\____ \____, or this: _____ _____

But NOT this: ____/ ____/

If all is well so far, get your dips aligned and work from there.

When I put Morettes on my classic, alignment was two evenings' work

Last edited by alcazar; 19 November 2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 19 November 2010, 04:36 PM
Marky2
Scooby Regular

Cool so is it possible to have the main light as the outside lamp and just adjust the allignment and just keep the full beam setting on the inner lamp? Is this perfectly legal?
Old 19 November 2010, 04:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Of course. Dips and main beams ought to be aligned separately in a perfect world.
Old 19 November 2010, 05:08 PM
Marky2
Scooby Regular

yeah that should work then, the inner lights are alot poorer than the outer ones but as long as i have good lights when driving thats the main thing.

The only thing the guy never did when he wired in the lights was the motor for adjusting the light so i take it like all other light units there must be a manual adjuster.

The biggest problem with having the lights set up like they are at the moment is the low beam always looks brighter and shines further than the full beam will do because the inner lamps are not so bright. And also its weird as the full beam shines lower than normal light lol.