Notices

Ignition leads

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2010, 02:54 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition leads

I need to replace the leads on my V5 classic import, from what I've read there are 2 types of coil pack. 1 mounted in the centre of the inlet manifold and the other too the right as you look at the engine from the front. Mine is on the right. To add the the confusion I've seen differant thickness and connections of leads, so before I order the wrong thing (again) what the hell sort do I need, and where's the best place to get them?
Just to add the car is fairly modded, TD05/06 20G turbo, FMIC, 800cc injectors, Apexi Power FC, AVCR, blah, blah, blah if this info is of any help. Will be replacing the plugs at the same time (NGK PFR7b plugs). I know the plugs need doing, but when it rains the car will just cut out which make me think the leads may be split or just falling apart as far as I know have never been replaced. We recently had JGM come and re-map it so know it's not a fueling issue as he picked up that the plugs are knacked.
HELP
Old 30 January 2010, 02:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you measure each lead, then phone up somewhere like Scoobyclinic, or RCM and ask?
Then order over the phone?
Old 30 January 2010, 08:10 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

I bought mine from performanceleads.co.uk BUT the sales team are a bit unsure of which part is needed for your car. Take them off. Photo them, and they'll send you a lovely set of blue leads. Seem to be working really well.

Do you have a decat pipe by any chance? I have had a bit of a problem lately and everyone has suggested that i need a 3 port boost solenoid which i have ordered.

Hope this useless infor helps
Old 01 February 2010, 07:15 PM
Telf
Scooby Regular

I've just ordered these for an RB5 (1999 classic)
Magnecor KV85 Ignition Leads for Subaru Impreza Turbo 2.0 (Classic) - Magnecor - Rude Racing
I'm assuming yours is a pretty similar age, but you can back out and reselect your type of car - under engine and driveline on the left hand side.

On a different note - is it easy to change the leads - it looks like a nightmare.
Old 01 February 2010, 07:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not a nightmare, but not easy, no.

Get it wrong and you can damage a new lead which will leave it missing.........been there, had that done to mine
Old 01 February 2010, 09:47 PM
Telf
Scooby Regular

I've been told you can do them easier from underneath. They said that you can do the drivers side from the top, but you need to take out the washer bottle and battery out to do the passenger side. If I get it on the ramp, is it possible to do both side from underneath?
I hope someone can give me some advice on this, cheers.
Old 02 February 2010, 11:43 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

I've got a 1999 uk turbo 2000 which from your description (RHS) has the same coil pack and leads. I can't remember which site I bought the items off but it did specify where the coil pack was ie centre or to right of engine. The same went for the leads (which are individually numbered and lengthed). I got heavier than std leads but they still fit fine. Unless the architecture of your engine bay is different from mine you should be able to route the leads quite easily from the top without removing anything.

The following is a link of the leads I bought but not where I bought

Magnecor Kv85 Ignition Leads for your subaru impreza turbo 2.0i 16v dohc

and this is the same coil pack

Subaru Impreza Turbo V5 V6 Inc STi Igntion Coil Pack on eBay (end time 07-Feb-10 10:15:53 GMT)

Last edited by Postman Pat; 03 February 2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: adding in links
Old 03 February 2010, 07:21 PM
Telf
Scooby Regular

Cool, cheers. I have ordered the right set, and managed to get a coil pack for £20 from a scrapped RB - which looks like a bargain now compared to the £139 one on ebay.
Old 20 February 2010, 04:25 PM
mikeyb86
Scooby Regular

newbie here guys i got a 93wrx were are the ht leads located and how can i get to them any help greatly apriciated
Old 14 November 2011, 12:16 AM
championcat
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

HT Ignition Leads. Formula Power. Best value and quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1806398564...84.m1497.l2649

After fitting it, I am pretty sure these are the best HT scooby leads in town (turbo and non turbo).

1. quality. well made (in blighty! England!) so why pay more when you have the best is at your doorsteps?
2. weight. heavily insulated. felt like a bullwhip
3. price. subaru wants 68 quid. I paid about 50 incl delivery. and these are by far, superior. as they say in aussie "I reckon you gota bargain dont you?"

and to add the icing on the cake: photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5842122...in/photostream

sorry my engine bay is a mess. but as you can see: you have a choice of red, blue and black. I chose red. these are not off the shelf leads. the seller required me measuring every detail of the originals in order to get a precise made to measure product. the leads are thicker than the originals, but I still managed to press them into place into each of the designated grooved clips. as for the plug connectors, I can safely say it fits alot easier than the originals. simpler better materials used. I believe, a decent set of HT leads makes sense rather than cheap ones. You get the performance you pay for. Mission accomplised

Last edited by championcat; 15 November 2011 at 07:16 PM.