Notices

a good headlight bulb for classic

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2009, 07:44 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a good headlight bulb for classic

hi guys just wondering has anyone got a recomendation on a good headlight bulb. i know the headlight scatter is poor an i just had to remove hid conversion as 1 side is faulty an kept going out so removed. tried halfords stuff an just poor on the road. anybody got a recomendation. cheers lads
Old 20 December 2009, 08:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Philips Rally 100/90, or thir 80% uprated bulbs.

Osram Night Breaker NightBreaker Philips Xtreme Power 80% 90% AutoBulbsOnline
Old 20 December 2009, 09:24 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

cheers mate u think these are better than halfords crap
Old 21 December 2009, 06:34 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

SuperHIDs
Old 21 December 2009, 06:42 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

ive already had hids bob an went faulty an dont really wanna buy another set an just fancy a decent bulb for now
Old 21 December 2009, 06:44 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

forget HIDs they are dangerous and not suited to the classic impreza due to the reflector design i would recommend Osram nightbreakers.They have a good spread of light and are an improvement on standard
Old 21 December 2009, 06:52 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by seddomyster
ive already had hids bob an went faulty an dont really wanna buy another set an just fancy a decent bulb for now
No probs, a decent set should last the lifetime of the car.

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
forget HIDs they are dangerous and not suited to the classic impreza due to the reflector design i would recommend Osram nightbreakers.They have a good spread of light and are an improvement on standard
Would disagree as would most others that actually have them fitted. Not as good as projectors, but better than any uprated bulb. Certainly not dangerous.
Old 21 December 2009, 06:55 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

where can u get them from except internet cheers also.
yea bob they were good an bright on car till 1 side went faulty an off. went on youtube an seems to happen to alot of kits.
just to confirm these ones arent yours lol
Old 21 December 2009, 06:59 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Try Halfords to see if they have an offer on at the moment.

Old 21 December 2009, 07:07 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

are your kits E marked? unlikely as Subaru headlights arent designed for HIDs the aftermarket kits suffer very badly with light scatter and blind oncoming motorists hence the dangerous remark.Bottom line is you can't just go and chuck a set of aftermarket HID bulbs and ballasts into a car who's headlight units have the completely wrong reflector for and deem it safe.I get blinded all the time on the roads by people who have retro fitted HIDs

anyway this topic has been done to death

back on topic,I am not sure if you can get the Osrams in Halfords and places like that but its worth a look
Old 21 December 2009, 07:09 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

i bought some from there other day an are crap really. 12 each to. just dont wanna spend extra money on somethin that wont make difference. i no the bulb pattern aint to good so could be wasting money when its this.
Old 21 December 2009, 07:14 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

are your kits E marked? unlikely as Subaru headlights arent designed for HIDs the aftermarket kits suffer very badly with light scatter and blind oncoming motorists hence the dangerous remark.Bottom line is you can't just go and chuck a set of aftermarket HID bulbs and ballasts into a car who's headlight units have the completely wrong reflector for and deem it safe.I get blinded all the time on the roads by people who have retro fitted HIDs

back on topic,I am not sure if you can get the Osrams in Halfords and places like that but its worth a look
There are some cheap kits out there and some poorly fitted kits.

Our kits fitted correctly don't dazzle oncoming drivers, I know as I've had them on my own classic for quite some time and there are a few local scoobs also running our SuperHIDs who I see regularly on the road.

I'm not saying that other kits don't, but our SuperHIDs fitted correctly don't.

There is more to it than whether a kit is E marked or not, but as you say, has been done to death.

Customer comments speak volumes: https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...77&postcount=3
Old 21 December 2009, 08:12 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

i didnt see them in halfords mate. but just found some on ebay so prob get a set. cheers mate. hope there better than halfords crap.
i had hids on mine an always got flashed but ive noticed that the near side light pointed up, leftways but then when i put normal lights back on it pointed same way. may have to adjust it if anybody know how to
Old 21 December 2009, 08:16 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

cheers mate but dont think halfords sell them, found some on ebay so will get them. anybody know how to adjust headlights because near side seems to point up, leftways an not on the road at all. cheers lads
Old 21 December 2009, 10:17 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very impressed with the Philips Rally H4 12v 100/90 and I think these are better than the General Electric GE Plus 60% which were the best bulbs I had previously.
The Philips are available from PowerBulbs - Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, including Philips Xtreme Power and Osram NightBreaker globes. . Off road rally use only. The one thing that makes them so good is the focus and that is exactly what makes HIDs on Classics so poor on full beam. Scatter and lack of distance vision which is exactly what you need on full beam.
Old 21 December 2009, 10:42 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

cheers mate if u have tried them i will go for them. i take it the higher the wattage the better. it was a choice between these an the osram nightbreaker as they are 55w i think
Old 22 December 2009, 08:33 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

In H4 they are 100/90 ie. 100w main beam and 90w dipped. In H7 they are 80w.
It is not a matter of going for the highest wattage for several reasons. Firstly there is a limit to the amount of current the OE wiring can handle and more wattage means more currrent, means thicker wire than fitted on the OE car. There does not appear to be any problem whatsoever with the bulbs above.
Secondly far more important than wattage is focus. I have tried 150 and 130w bulbs that gave nice bright light on a car with heavier wire and relays but the performance was not as good as that afforded by 60/55w which had good focus.
I am very impressed with the Philips Rally 100/90 which are a step up from the General Electric H4 plus 60% that I had previously settled on after lots of trials.
Thanks for Alcazar for putting me on to these.
Old 22 December 2009, 01:41 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

PS. For Classic you need H4.
The lack of focus on the 150 and 130 watt bulbs referred to above is exactly the same problem that makes HIDs unsuitable for long range vision when they are fitted aftermarket to headlights that are not originally designed and manufactured for HID application.
Old 22 December 2009, 04:12 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

cheers mate i will be going for these. thanks for the info
Old 04 January 2010, 10:02 PM
Chumley
Scooby Newbie

I've just put Halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs into my 2005 WRX and although not 90% brighter, they are at least 50% brighter for the same wattage. Given that they are buy one get one free at present, it seems decent value. But if you're set on buying somewhere else, then fine.
Old 05 January 2010, 12:36 PM
SiofChester
Scooby Regular

I chucked some of the philips extreme's in my MY00 and it's gone from barely being able to see at night, to great vision. Highly recommended!
Old 08 January 2010, 01:18 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Are the bulb holders and lenses ok with the heat of 100W bulbs provided the wiring is upgraded to relays fed direct from the battery? In a pre facelift classic headlights.

My Philips Vision Plus bulbs both failed on dipped beam on the same day last week. Fortunately I had spares on board, which highlighted to me just how pants standard spec bulbs are. I stopped into Halfords and got their Extreme Brilliance "90% brighter" H4s. I think they're a bit brighter than the Philips Vision Plus but the dipped beam light pool isnt uniform as there's a distracting bright patch close to the front of the car.

Anyone tried both Philips Vision Plus and Philips Extreme?
Old 08 January 2010, 01:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The lenses, reflectors and bulb holders are OK with the 100W bulbs, I've not seen anyone post otherwise.

Harvey has done tests and his wiring was OK too.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:44 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

i bought a hid kit (not from this site) a few month ago an the near side light flickers then goes off. this is why i took the kit off an went standard but in future want to re fit. im just wondering if this is a common problem.
Old 10 January 2010, 03:58 PM
VTR steve
Scooby Regular

I would stay clear of bulbs that are higher wattage than the standards. Just pulled a set of 100watt bulbs from a friends evo5 and had to replace the H4 connectors as they had melted. I tryed quite a few bulbs in my classic headlights before i went to projectors and found the best to be PIAA. They were not cheap around £70 a pair but did make a noticable differance.
Old 10 January 2010, 07:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

TBH, PIAA bulbs don't score well on test, as they suffer from poor focus. For the money, there are better bulbs out there
Old 10 January 2010, 08:39 PM
wrx mark
Scooby Regular

hi
will the philips rally 100/90 be ok in morrete lights on a classic
Old 11 January 2010, 10:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yes.
Old 11 January 2010, 05:03 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chumley
I've just put Halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs into my 2005 WRX and although not 90% brighter, they are at least 50% brighter for the same wattage. Given that they are buy one get one free at present, it seems decent value. But if you're set on buying somewhere else, then fine.
I'm using these at the moment too. 2 for 1 in Halfords, so two bulbs for £19.00. I'm not gonna sit here and say they are the best bulbs, simply because I have not tried every bulb out there, but they are the best 55w bulb I have tried so far. Very good focus on full beam, and bright enough too.

The blue tips on the bulbs are a bit of a gimmick, that's my only gripe really.
Old 11 January 2010, 08:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The Halfords bulbs are/were made by GE, so ought to be of a good quality.
When they are on BOGOF, they are a decent buy.
When they AREN'T, however, there are better deals out there

Quick Reply: a good headlight bulb for classic