Car won't start and interior lights/clock/radio/central locking either

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2009, 11:26 AM
JMCG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start and interior lights/clock/radio/central locking either

Hi,

I've got a problem with my 05 STi. The interior lights (main and map lights), radio, clock, central locking and windows aren't working, but biggest thing is it won't start. I can turn on headlights, full beam, hazards, horn, heater/aircon, rear fog, brake lights etc. When I enter the car the little red led isn't flashing as normal and the big red key on the dash isn't as well.

When I insert the key and goto position 3, all the dash lights light up, fuel pump whirrs into life. If I now press the keyfob the led beside the clock flashes as normal to let me proceed, but turning key to position 4 it does nothing, albeit the alarm lets out 1 audible chirp.

I've searched on SN and people had similar issues and by and large it was fuse related which from what I've described above it would seem. I've visually inspected all the blade type fuses in the main fuse box and fuse box in the car and also pulled them out and onto a 9V battery with a bulb in the middle to really check them, so I'm fairly certain its not a fuse but I'm going to buy some new replacements to replace the circuits in both fuse boxes to be sure.

I've also put a battery from another car in and same issues so I'm certain its not flatish battery related.

Could it be something else, like a relay gone. Think it'll have to go to subaru/dealer/expert soon as I'm starting to move out of my comfort zone.

Any help appreciated.......

Similar post and symptoms:
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...e-no-good.html

- John
Old 10 December 2009, 01:21 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

have you checked the large red fuse's matey ??

this similar problem happened to me a couple of years back,and it turned out to be one of the fuse's mentioned above

have a rummage and let us know

cheers marcus
Old 10 December 2009, 06:31 PM
JMCG
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I took out all the big red ones with the clear viewing window from the main fuse box (except ABS and the 80A main one as they're ok). All are fine on continuity test. All fuses are fine when I test them in either fuse box. I think it points to some relay or control module

- J
Old 15 December 2009, 11:10 PM
JMCG
Scooby Regular

Problem was a wire in the loom on passenger side, from fuse box it runs down wing, and turns into car, went there at the bend with corrison/movement. Dunno which one but she's fixed and going great again. Thanks for the suggestion.

- J
Old 24 February 2011, 07:47 PM
blobeye04
Scooby Newbie

Hi - I have the exact problem you described in your first post. Mine started with a flickering of the radio / clocks whilst driving so I'm thinking it must be a wire somewhere.

do you have anymore detail of where the problem was located and how I can access the wiring loom so I could take a look at mine. I'm guessing somewhere behind the glove box but I don't know where to start? Did you carry out the work yourself?

thanks..
Old 24 February 2011, 07:49 PM
JMCG
Scooby Regular

Fault was eventually found in the inner guard on the passenger side (on route to the fusebox), I didn't have the room and the car was dead in the garage so couldn't work at it and got it lifted to a local garage. Good luck!
Old 20 June 2011, 12:05 AM
blobeye04
Scooby Newbie

Just a follow up...

My fault was found shortly after your advice. I checked behind the passenger wing as you stated, got to it by going behind the wheel cowling. The wiring loom from fuse box was visible and after inspecting it I found a split wire right on the U bend of the loom. Why they had to bend the loom back on itself is beyond me as this clearly created a surge and burnt the wire out.

Very thankful for your advice, much appreciated.
Old 20 June 2011, 11:01 AM
JMCG
Scooby Regular

Thats great, hopefully saved you some diagnosis cash as I was stung for it badly